bacon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : bacon

glocknsail
01-28-2004, 13:55
What is the best way to cook bacon?

noway
01-28-2004, 14:33
Bacon has got to be the easy thing to cook.

You can do it on/in anything. I like the electric hotplates with a grease/oil catch or a simple shallow skillet on the stove. Just drain the oil and use a few paper towels to soak up the remaining oils. Cook it the way you like to eat it, crispy,extra-crispy or slightly crispy.

Mild Bill
01-28-2004, 16:13
Djever see that movie Better Off Dead with John Cusack?

If so, remember that his Mom boiled it?

It was this soggy grey wormy mass hanging off her serving fork...

yuk yuk yuk...

mindonmatter
01-28-2004, 17:11
I think it's best cooked sprinkled with pepper, cooked extra crispy in an iron skillet :)

glocknsail
01-29-2004, 19:30
Originally posted by Mild Bill
Djever see that movie Better Off Dead with John Cusack?

If so, remember that his Mom boiled it?

It was this soggy grey wormy mass hanging off her serving fork...

yuk yuk yuk...

French lessons Great movie.

I was wondering what you folks did. Microwave, frying pan, big griddle...?

MrsKitty
01-29-2004, 20:19
George Foreman Grill

All the grease drains down into the drip tray. Plus there is no mess to clean up all over the kitchen;)

darin2
01-29-2004, 21:27
Originally posted by misskitty5077
George Foreman Grill

All the grease drains down into the drip tray. Plus there is no mess to clean up all over the kitchen;)

Yep...the Foreman rocks for cooking bacon!!

Cali-Glock
01-30-2004, 11:37
Originally posted by glocknsail
French lessons Great movie.

I was wondering what you folks did. Microwave, frying pan, big griddle...?

Yes great movie... "Two dollars... I want my two dollars..."

I am bacon impaired. I usually try to cook it using a cast iron pan, or microwave, but I manage to screw it up no matter what I do. (Either burned, or still limp and fatty - never the magical bacon perfection or anything nearing perfection.) I am mocked by my friends and family my ineptness at bacon cooking! ;1

glocknsail
01-30-2004, 11:55
"Two brothers... One speaks no English, the other learned English from watch "The Wide World of Sports." So you tell me... Which is better, speaking no English at all, or speaking Howard Cosell? "

Well back to the bacon....

I usually throw the whole pound of bacon (spread out as much as possible) into a 14" cast iron skillet and cover. Then I flip a few times and pat dry with a paper towel. They usually come out less then crispy. Hints?

Maybe the owner of the Pig Burger would have some hints?

mindonmatter
01-30-2004, 12:00
Originally posted by glocknsail

I usually throw the whole pound of bacon (spread out as much as possible) into a 14" cast iron skillet and cover. Then I flip a few times and pat dry with a paper towel. They usually come out less then crispy. Hints?

Don't cover it and cook longer. It'll get crispy. I cook mine in an iron skillet and it comes out as crispy as you want it. Burnt if you don't watch it.

01-30-2004, 14:18
Any time I try to cook bacon fast, it gets messed up. Cold skillet, medium heat, don't turn too much. That's what works for me.

Friend of ours bakes a pound or 2 at a time in her oven, big 'ole cooling rack on top of cookie sheets to catch the drippings. I think 350 or so 'till done. Then she freezes it and uses when needed.

Steve

Dogbite
01-30-2004, 20:14
Thick cut--yeah--iron skillet.

01-31-2004, 11:28
Try this,

Set OVEN for 425 deg. Put baccon on cookie sheet (non stick, or an old one) BAKE for around 5 min/side depending on thickness. You may want to experiment with times, and keep an eye on it.

...Wait I had to turn some as I was typing, back now.

It stays flat, cooks evenly, easy clean up, and no greese splatters, or burns.

Try it out, and I think you will enjoy the results, just remember to try different times, and keep an eye on it the first couple of times.

Good luck, and BAKE-ON!

Respectfully,

Soujurn
02-02-2004, 21:17
I cook bacon very fast in a deep Wok in oil. Deep enopugh to totally cover the bacon.
It comes out very crisp. Not tough or chewy.

I like the thick sliced center cut bacon.

But I also like Bar S Low Sodium bacon. But it is sliced really thin, so you need to cook a lot more.

I use Canola oil for all my cooking needs.

Craigster
02-03-2004, 09:21
Large cast iron skillet and a cast bacon press. Donít let the grease get to deep.

I have found that if you put the cooked Bacon on a cookie rack to drain it stays crisper than putting it directly on a paper towel. The rack can go in another warm pan or in the oven to keep the bacon warm.

nickg
02-03-2004, 12:39
me and my son both dislike "crispy" bacon. we prefer it in the "flabby" stage. i don't want to pick up a slab and watch it shatter before it gets to my mouth. ;f my wife prefers the crispy though.

i remember one time when we ate a denny's we requested the bacon "flabby" and when the cashier gave us our receipt it printed out "bacon flabby" -- too funny!!

MrsKitty
02-03-2004, 20:34
Originally posted by Soujurn
I cook bacon very fast in a deep Wok in oil. Deep enopugh to totally cover the bacon.
It comes out very crisp. Not tough or chewy.

That reminded me: I once saw a friend's mom cooking bacon. She was using her wok and slid the bacon up the sides to let the grease drain down to the bottom.

MrMurphy
02-03-2004, 20:51
Preferably, you kill the pig first. After that, I have no clue.;f

modgun
02-05-2004, 01:39
The way to get bacon right is not to spread it flat as possible.
Pull it all apart, but then kinda throw it all together in a little pile in the middle of the pan. Cook low slow and longer than usual. Stir around frequently but always returning to a pile. Get it all cooked through then if necessary turn up heat, spread a little and let it crisp as desired.

Bacon should not crunch like a tortilla chip.

Soujurn
02-05-2004, 02:19
That is where we differ. I prefer my bacon to shatter like a crisp potato chip in my mouth. If I want bacon jerky, I'll make some in a smoker.

mindonmatter
02-05-2004, 04:17
Originally posted by Soujurn
That is where we differ. I prefer my bacon to shatter like a crisp potato chip in my mouth. If I want bacon jerky, I'll make some in a smoker.

Same here. I like a lot of pepper on my bacon, then I cook as long as possible without burning it. Extra, extra crispy.

CaptDoug04
02-08-2004, 11:44
Originally posted by Cali-Glock
I am mocked by my friends and family my ineptness at bacon cooking! ;1

Did you miss the Cali-Glock Can't cook bacon Forum?? ;f

Branspop
02-11-2004, 00:52
I tried the Forman and I just couldn't get it crispy in that. I think I will stick with the cast iron griddle.

Dragline
02-11-2004, 08:52
I know this may be blasphamy to some but...

For those that are so inclined and are trying to cut down on fat and cholesterol (I'm already on Lipitor and Zetia), I've tried the Butterball brand of turkey bacon and thought it was actually pretty tasty.

Sixgun_Symphony
02-22-2004, 19:18
I use a cast iron skillet and a cast iron bacon press. Crispy, but not too crispy. I then use the bacon grease to fry the eggs and hashbrowns. Very good flavor that way.

okie
02-25-2004, 07:22
Throw it in a fryin pan turn on the fire and cook away. Then use
the grease to make pop corn later;a

moeman
02-27-2004, 11:23
;P I'm the cook between my wife and I but she taught me one how to get bacon crispy-- microwave it between paper towels. I know its hard to believe but after a few minutes its really crispy, easy to clean up and not much fry smwll in the house. I had to see it to believe it.

Cali-Glock
02-27-2004, 11:37
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
I use a cast iron skillet and a cast iron bacon press. Crispy, but not too crispy. I then use the bacon grease to fry the eggs and hashbrowns. Very good flavor that way.

After watching my wife make bacon, I decided that I was simply too impaitent; dropping a pound or two of bacon into a pan while still frozen.

I tried cooking bacon last week with greater sucess than ever, though I did overcook a lot of it... it did not look crispy - :( my mistake... it is wonderful to have bacon grease to cook with again! Later I cooked some shoestring cut red potatoes and onions in some bacon grease... food heaven!

Shoeless
04-05-2004, 18:51
Bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon!!

Bacon is one of THE top five yummiest foods in existence!

Shoeless

04-05-2004, 18:55
Originally posted by Shoeless
Bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon!!

Bacon is one of THE top five yummiest foods in existence!

Shoeless

You're my kind of gal, Shoeless ;f

Steve