See Why It's So Easy to Hunt Deer in PA? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : See Why It's So Easy to Hunt Deer in PA?

turbonatr
02-01-2004, 11:26
Lure them in with a few fries and BANG!;f

We were taking out the old washer/drier to get ready for our new one when a few curious deer happened by. If this little guy only new about the 357 magnum on my right hip.;)

turbonatr
02-01-2004, 11:29
His family...

noway
02-01-2004, 17:10
Hey that's a FL size deer. (LMAO)

I wouldn't waste a 12ga slug on something that small.

That's about all that I 've seen this year when out hunting deer in So FLa bunch of young bucks and does. Nothing with any points or racks.

turbonatr
02-01-2004, 17:46
We have some seriously large does and 10 pointers right here in our private community. On any given day you can see thousands of deer feeding in open grassy areas. Kind of amazing to see.

mudfootball
02-02-2004, 09:32
got three of these silly PA deer this year. 36 degrees today, damn thats grilling weather, sounds like backstraps wrapped in bacon.
kt

Sixgun_Symphony
02-02-2004, 13:23
They must be really hungry to come up to you so close. Perhaps the deer population has become larger that what the land can sustain.

OH37
02-02-2004, 15:33
I'd say you're right Sixgun. We had the same thing happen here in some of our parks in central Ohio a few years back. If the carrying capacity is oughta wack, eventually the deer will inbreed and get all kinds of diseases and stuff. With the lack of natural predators, we(man) owe it to the deer to keep their numbers in check.

turbonatr
02-02-2004, 16:35
We have at least 1.1 million registered hunters in PA every season. There is no lack of hunting going on in this state. The deer (and turkey along with black bear) have zero fear of humans in my private community. Deer approaching people is an daily thing.

OH37
02-02-2004, 16:59
turbonatr, I've seen pictures of what you described. (thousands of deer feeding in open grassy areas) Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know a deer/sq. mi. figure? Is it always like that, or just when they yard up in the winter? In Ohio, the only time you really see populations that dense is in parks. Obviously there's no hunting in the parks, and the animals just over-run the place.
I think it would be awesome to be able to take pictures of deer out my backdoor.

carpetbagger
02-06-2004, 20:54
"On any given day you can see thousands of deer feeding in open grassy areas. Kind of amazing to see."

Kind of amazing to see,I agree with you on that one. I've been hunting in PA for the last 16 yrs. and have never witnessed "thousands of deer" feeding, sleeping, or running anywhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. You sound like you work for the PA Game comission with that unbelieveable statement. Please let me know what county you reside in and I am sure my freinds and family could take care of the overpopulation of deer in your area.

isp2605
02-07-2004, 04:54
The following are pix of deer killed this year in west-central IL.
The attached is a 32 point. Killed by bow hunters from Mississippi.

isp2605
02-07-2004, 04:55
16 point with write up.

isp2605
02-07-2004, 04:56
A "small" 10 point.

isp2605
02-07-2004, 04:57
Didn't hear how many points this one is. It's a keeper tho.

turbonatr
02-07-2004, 06:28
Originally posted by carpetbagger
"On any given day you can see thousands of deer feeding in open grassy areas. Kind of amazing to see."

Kind of amazing to see,I agree with you on that one. I've been hunting in PA for the last 16 yrs. and have never witnessed "thousands of deer" feeding, sleeping, or running anywhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. You sound like you work for the PA Game comission with that unbelieveable statement. Please let me know what county you reside in and I am sure my freinds and family could take care of the overpopulation of deer in your area.

As I said several posts ago, I live in a private community. Hunting of any kind is not legal inside the gated community, hence the overpopulation of deer. As "unbelieveable" as it sounds, it's the truth.

I have been called many things, sir. Never a liar.;Q

OH37
02-07-2004, 08:03
isp2605, if you were trying to get me fired-up, it worked. Big antlers are a "magical" thing. I love to hunt shed antlers, and It's that time of year. For every big buck that a hunter kills, you just wonder how many big ones are still out there. The awesome thing is you know their antlers will be laying on the ground "somewhere..."

isp2605
02-07-2004, 08:47
Originally posted by OH37
Big antlers are a "magical" thing. I love to hunt shed antlers, and It's that time of year. For every big buck that a hunter kills, you just wonder how many big ones are still out there. The awesome thing is you know their antlers will be laying on the ground "somewhere..."

This year bought in quite a few large bucks which is why the papers were covering the sizes so much. The reported racks in west-central IL have been improving the past few years. Herds just keep getting larger and so does the size.
Use to could buy rough ground in that part for hardly nothing. The past 10-15 years the price of rough ground is bringing as much if not more than good farm ground. Corporations are buying it up for lease hunting.
The record whitetail was killed in Saskatchewan a few years back. DNR and Fed Wildlife is predicting the deer to beat the record will be taken out of west-central IL in the next 5 years. Probably by a Honda Civic.
The 32 point was taken on a leased preserve. Don't know what the problem is but DNR and FWS are investigating it. It was during bow season and rumors are it was taken by gun. It's still a big deer. I've never seen any like them.

jchast
02-20-2004, 08:47
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
They must be really hungry to come up to you so close. Perhaps the deer population has become larger that what the land can sustain.

I'd have to blame it on all the land developement. Especially here in western PA. Makes me sick.