White Castles/Krystal Burgers.....Mmmmmmmm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : White Castles/Krystal Burgers.....Mmmmmmmm

The Pontificator
02-01-2004, 22:28
I have a sudden serious cravings for "sliders".

UNFORTUNATELY...

The nearest White Castle is in Nashville (400 miles away) and the nearest Krystal Burger is 100 miles away.

Dang. :(

norm357
02-02-2004, 00:13
My wife no longer allows me to eat Krystals. Something about singed nasal hair.;f

The Pontificator
02-02-2004, 06:31
There used to be a Krystal Burger in Mt. Pleasant (outside of Charleston). I'd always stop there at the crack of dawn on my way to the beach.

I love the smell of Krystals in the morning. Smells like...victory.
;f

Tvov
02-02-2004, 06:47
I've never had a White Castle burger....Gasp!

I'm not even sure there is one anywhere near me.

Mild Bill
02-02-2004, 07:46
Originally posted by Tvov
I've never had a White Castle burger....Gasp!

I'm not even sure there is one anywhere near me.
Me neither!

Scoob
02-02-2004, 08:14
I thought you were refering to the little frozen burgers you get out of vending machines;f I think they're called white castle.

knuckle dragger
02-02-2004, 08:15
Man....when i was growing up i loved those White Castle gut bombs...haven`t had them in a long time..

lethal tupperwa
02-02-2004, 08:48
.10 each 12 for a dollar.

They were good, you learned to not look to see if you got a green one which of course could kill you.

nickg
02-02-2004, 12:57
i love white castle burgers and fish sandwiches. a nice sack of burgers goes good with a couple of beers late at night!! ;f

Garweh
02-02-2004, 15:15
Friday night Alton Brown (Good Eats) did a show on corn dogs and homemade gut grenades. Ckeck out the recipes on foodtv.com. Looked really tasty!

Ned Ludd
02-02-2004, 15:16
White Castle--nasty stuff. When I went back to Chicago years ago folks said I had to try them. Awful, grey, tasteless things even with the tiny steamed (?) onions. Now In-n-Out, there is a burger.

-NL

Glockerel
02-02-2004, 16:52
I made Alton Brown's recipe and it turned out very well. To make real Armpits (White Castles), you gotta use the dehydrated onions. Soak a 1/4 cup of them in hot water and throw them in the skillet about half way through. They taste just like Whiteys.

ebigfish
02-02-2004, 18:28
Hey Glockerel (Farting Chicken... luv it!)

I might be in charge of feeding the tribe for a couple days this week... I'll have to give these homemade sliders a try!

thanks...

now go fish.
;e

colorado23
02-02-2004, 19:08
I like White Castle, I only eat there a couple times a year though. There isn't one where I live but when I visit my family in S. Indiana I eat a bunch of the greasy little things. In-n-out is awesome. That is a quality burger. Have to go to Vegas for that.

The Pontificator
02-03-2004, 04:21
Originally posted by Glockerel
I made Alton Brown's recipe and it turned out very well. To make real Armpits (White Castles), you gotta use the dehydrated onions. Soak a 1/4 cup of them in hot water and throw them in the skillet about half way through. They taste just like Whiteys.

I had a bit of a time finding that recipe (on foodtv.com) but here it is:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_25895,00.html

Mini Man Burgers

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 burgers

1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound ground chuck
8 (3-inch) buns or rolls, split in half
2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees F.
Combine the onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.

Line a jellyroll or sheet pan with parchment paper, and place the ground chuck in the middle of the pan. Cover the meat with a large sheet of plastic wrap. Roll meat with a rolling pin until it covers the surface of the pan; it should be very thin. Remove the plastic wrap, and sprinkle the meat with the seasoning mixture. Fold the meat in half, from side to side, using the parchment paper. Use a pizza wheel to cut the meat into 8 even squares.

Wrap the buns in foil and place in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the burgers on the griddle and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Remove the buns from the oven. Spread a small amount of mayonnaise on each bun and top with the burger and any other condiments, as desired. Serve immediately.

Then again, you can buy White Castle and Krystal burgers in the frozen food section of just about any supermarket. ;)

(but somehow they don't taste the same)

Glockerel
02-03-2004, 15:23
Alton's burgers are good, but watch out-!
When you fold the meat in half, make sure and get any air out that's caught in the middle. Both of my kids bit into theirs and SPLOOSH- juice and stuff came shooting out on their school uniforms. Wife was unhappy!

02-03-2004, 17:20
Oh, yeah, gotta have Maggot Muffins about once a month for breakfast. Cures what ails ya!

Steve (surrounded by White Castles in Central IN!!)

JMag
02-03-2004, 17:49
I prefer the Chicks to the burgers at Krystal. However, I discovered a new-to-me chain with 100% Angus burgers called Backyard Burgers. The best chain burger I've ever eaten. The original came from the Magnolia State...Mississippi!

Looks like franchise's are available; take a look:

http://www.backyardburgers.com/aboutus/history/

ebigfish
02-03-2004, 23:32

I went with your dehy onions... but (BurpFart...) next time i'll cut it down to 1/8 cup... other than the OD on onion, they turned out yummy! (FartBurp...) ;g

Glockerel
02-04-2004, 12:52
Originally posted by ebigfish
I went with your dehy onions... but (BurpFart...) next time i'll cut it down to 1/8 cup... other than the OD on onion, they turned out yummy! (FartBurp...) ;g

And thus explaining 'farting chicken'...

ebigfish
02-04-2004, 13:25
YUK YUK burp!!! or is that CLUCK CLUCK fart??? ;a

O2BShooting
02-04-2004, 14:05
When you are hydrating the onions you want to use cold water. If you use hot water you run the risk of fermenting the onions. That is unless you want an onion cocktail.

Regards,
O2B

The Pontificator
02-04-2004, 18:48
Alton's burgers are good, but watch out-!
When you fold the meat in half, make sure and get any air out that's caught in the middle. Both of my kids bit into theirs and SPLOOSH- juice and stuff came shooting out on their school uniforms. Wife was unhappy!

The solution to that is to simply mix the spices with the meat, then spread out on the pan instead of sprinkling seasoning, then folding the meat over on itself. Problem solved, and the meat is more evenly seasoned.

seb
02-05-2004, 08:11
Word of advice, don't go to White Castle's after a night of drinking, the smell about kills you.LOL

CaptDoug04
02-06-2004, 16:34
Nearest White Castle is 71 miles to the East in Plainfield, gotta have my sliders!!! ;f

02-06-2004, 19:04
Originally posted by Lt.Doug29
Nearest White Castle is 71 miles to the East in Plainfield, gotta have my sliders!!! ;f

There at 267 & 70? Know it well.... bruuuup ;f

Steve

cmzneb
02-06-2004, 22:56
No White Castles in Nebraska or anywhere close! However we can buy them in the freezer at the Super Wal-Mart. Not quite as good as the fresh ones, but still good (for a White Castle Burger).

Dragline
02-11-2004, 09:55
Got a White Castle about 10-15 mins. away from me.
Just might head over there today. ;f

GlockBlocker
02-11-2004, 16:13
Originally posted by cmzneb
No White Castles in Nebraska or anywhere close! However we can buy them in the freezer at the Super Wal-Mart.
cmzneb is on to something. You can buy frozen White Castle burgers at the grocery stores here too. I've never tried them though. Never been to a White Castle either. But if you've got a craving, go check your grocery store's freezer section.

UCF-Tacoma
02-14-2004, 23:46
Originally posted by JMag
I prefer the Chicks to the burgers at Krystal. However, I discovered a new-to-me chain with 100% Angus burgers called Backyard Burgers. The best chain burger I've ever eaten. The original came from the Magnolia State...Mississippi!

Looks like franchise's are available; take a look:

http://www.backyardburgers.com/aboutus/history/

There is one of these down the street from the campus. I think the quality has gone down significantly since they opened though.

GlockBlocker
02-15-2004, 21:22
I was in a Denny's over the weekend and noticed that they are now selling miniature burgers that look and sound just like White Castle burgers--onions and all. You White Castle fans might want to go check them out to see how they stack up!

RenegadeGlocker
02-15-2004, 21:54
Originally posted by The Pontificator

The nearest White Castle is in Nashville (400 miles away) and the nearest Krystal Burger is 100 miles away.

I hear ya. I have had a dozen or so in that store, just off I-40, traveling from Dallas to East Coast.

BTW, the furthest I have ever had a Castle is in the Bahamas in Nassau. Wife thought I was nuts when I insisted we eat there during a cruise stop.

GlockBlocker
02-17-2004, 19:09
Bought a box of the frozen White Castles at my grocery store yesterday. They're pretty good, I guess. I've never had White Castle before though. But if I had to guess, I'd say that they're pretty close to how they taste in the restaurants. But I tend to like more on my burgers than meat, bread, onions, and maybe some ketchup. ;g

Anyway, go get some if you like White Castles.