Backpacking in Georgia--most desolate places. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking in Georgia--most desolate places.

Dogbite
02-02-2004, 18:24
What are your favorite places to backpack in Georgia--the most desolate//wont hardly ever see anyone spots??? I have been to the cohutta wilderness area and it was pretty nice out there.

WFR
02-02-2004, 21:17
I've hiked Cohutta before and enjoyed it.
Try the NE corner of the state. I can't remember the name of the trail that links up with the Foothills trail on the SC side but that's nice and I've been on it and not seen a soul. Maybe it's the Bartram Trail?
I used to manage the Len Foote Hike Inn on the southern approach trail of the AT. I miss GA alot sometimes but have alot of good hiking here in PA.

onemilmhz
02-03-2004, 09:39
I wouldn't exactly call it desolate but I've always loved the Pine Mountain Trail near Calloway Gardens and FDR State Park. With a five year old it pays to be near at least some form of civilization!

Dogbite
02-03-2004, 17:53
Ok--thanks guys--yeah--i know about the 5 year old--i have a 5 and a nine--daddy,im tired,can you hold me???hehehe

4TS&W
02-03-2004, 17:56
Remote area of Georgia?

Wasn't that where that movie was shot with the phrase "You got a purdy mouth" and "squeal like a pig, boy" in the dialogue? ;P

Dogbite
02-06-2004, 18:47
Some guys and i were talking about that movie awhile back.The back woods kid playing the banjo in the movie works in Atlanta as a dish washer at some food joint.My buddy said he saw him on some show--people still come in to get his john henry!!

Buzzsaw
02-09-2004, 02:40
The most desolate place i have been is the Okefenokee Swamp.

WFR
02-09-2004, 21:14
I may have told you wrong on the above trail.
Memory seems to be telling me it's the Chattooga Trail that turns into the Foothils once it crosses over the SC line. Go try it!

Dogbite
02-10-2004, 18:36
I just might do that!! Hey buzzsaw-- a buddy of mine tried to get me to go on a several day canoe trip through the swamp..i would have done it,,except for the sleeping arrangement--the platforms coming out of the water deal.He was telling me about the snakes that invade the platforms at night,i said--can i take my gun?? He said--no--then i said..ahhh..i think ill pass..

jawjaboy
02-15-2004, 04:11
My back door...The Okeefenokee Swamp. The swamp covers a LOT of territory. Access is everywhere. Snaky?...yes. Gators?...yes. Dangerous?...only if you let it be. Remote?...very. Carry a gun?...that's your call.