Airport beacons..? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Airport beacons..?

Rusty Shackleford
02-02-2004, 22:10
Quick question about beacons.. It's been several years since I logged any time but this one is new to me. The beacon at the aiport I just moved next to (marion county/dunnellon florida X35) is white/white. Anyone know what this signifies? It looks like your average small general aviation field to me... Whatever it means, I'm glad I've never had to look for one of these beacons from the air. Doesn't seem like a very easy combination to spot amongst all the other blinking/rotating white lights in your average city.

40Cal
02-03-2004, 00:21
White/white is an unlighted civilian airport.

P.S. Since when was Dunnellon a "city"? ;)

Rusty Shackleford
02-03-2004, 07:14
Check this out: http://airportsystems.honeywell.com/pdf/airfield_catalog/icao_products/dds_97_sec.pdf

According to the people making airport beacons white/white means "commercial airport". Regardless I'm pretty sure this airport is unlit. Why they'd want to a beacon for an unlit aiport is beyond me, but it sounds right.

PS Coming from West Palm Beach, Dunnellon doesn't even really qualify as a town as far as I'm concerned. But since I did say I just moved here, and haven't flown in years, I was probably not referring to Dunnellon when I used the term "average city" ;)

40Cal
02-08-2004, 11:06
I think when they say "commercial" they're referring to a civilian airport. I've never heard of an airport that was exclusively used for commercial purposes that civilians couldn't use.

The only reasons I can think of that an unlighted airport would have a beacon are:
1. Emergencies
2. Instrument conditions

M2 Carbine
02-08-2004, 11:16
I wonder if I have to put a beacon at my airport;) ;f ;f
(although it is a licensed Heliport)

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/m2carbine/Runwayss.jpg

Wulfenite
02-08-2004, 14:14
Well since I had the AIM right in front of me I looked it up.

Section 2-1-8

24 to 30 flashes per minute indicates a airport, landmark, or point on a federal airway.

30 to 45 fpm indicated a heliport.

White and Green, Lighted Land Airport

Green alone, Lighted Land Airport (used in conjunction with white and green or white and yellow beason)

White and Yellow, Lighted water airport

Yellow alone, Lighted Water Airport (see note above w/ green alone)

Green White and Yellow, Heliport

Green and Dual Peaked White, military facility.

When the beacon is on during the day it indicated that ceiling is less than 1000 and/or visability is less than 3 miles.

I never knew the thing about the difference in the flash rate.

Rusty Shackleford
02-09-2004, 17:38
Oddly the beacon I was referring to stopped coming on at night, the night after I first posted about this. Tonight, the beacon was back, and is now alternating green & white (like I would have expected in the first place) rather than white & white. Don't know whether there was something wrong with the old one or what the story is there..

Wulfenite
02-09-2004, 18:15
Perhaps the green bulb was burned out. Did the frequency increase when the green came back?

Medpilot 2
02-10-2004, 06:47
Wulfenite:

Thanks for the post above. :)

I was flying into Laredo the other night and I saw a white/yellow/green beacon about 3 miles from the Laredo airport and was wondering what the heck it was because it didn't show up on my GPS.

philcam
02-17-2004, 21:19
Was the beacon you saw NE of the airport? I'm guessing it's the new hospital heliport up there.