How do you mount an RWS scope mount on an air rifle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you mount an RWS scope mount on an air rifle?

USPMAN
02-09-2004, 21:38
Anyone ever heard of it? I have an RWS model 48/52 pellet rifle, a RWS 'C' mount, and a Simmons ProAir 4-12x40AO scope. The problem is, I can't get it to work together. The mount itself is adjustable, but no matter what I do with it all, it can't produce a decent group past 15 yards. Anyone have experience with this?

DJ Niner
02-10-2004, 02:42
Could be many things; here's a couple to check, if you haven't already:

Are the scope rings "walking" under recoil (on mount OR scope tube)? Mark the location of the front or rear edge of the mount in relation to a mark (pencil?) or a landmark on the action, like a screw hole, sight base, or just the front/rear action edge. Fire 10 shots, and measure again. If there's any change, the scope rings are allowing the scope to "walk" forward in the groove. Do the same with the scope tube and a pencil mark in front of and behind each ring. You may need to install a scope stop on the rail, or something to give the rings extra grip on the tube.
Is the scope's parallax set correctly for the distance that you're shooting? To check, set the scoped rifle on a cardboard box with V-notches cut in the top edges to hold the gun, and aim it at the target (or any other SAFE object at the same distance). Without touching the scope or rifle, lean over and look through the scope at the target/object. Now carefully move your head side-to-side, or up-and-down slightly while watching the target image. If the crosshairs on the scope seem to be moving in relation to the target, then the parallax is not set correctly; if this is the case, and your head is not in EXACTLY the same spot behind the scope from shot-to-shot, then it can induce a minor error in your aiming, which can spoil your groups. Follow the instructions in the scope box to set the parallax correctly. DON'T expect the numbers on the objective ring to match the distances; often times, they don't (for instance, you may have to set your scope on 20 yards when shooting at 10-15 yards).

Hope this is helpful...

USPMAN
02-12-2004, 21:58
Originally posted by DJ Niner

Hope this is helpful...

Sure is. Thank you.

I think the second point nailed it. As for the first point, the mount is one piece and sits against a raised screw, so it isn't moving.

DJ Niner
02-13-2004, 04:20
You're right, that should take care of number 1. ;f

Let us know if the parallax thing solves your problem. Good luck!