drilling a peep sight [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : drilling a peep sight

noway
02-11-2004, 14:23
Any suggestions on doing or not doing this?

I have a peep sight on my bow that's looks like I looking thru a needle eye. I want to start drilling the peep hole bigger so can get a better view of my aiming points.

DJ Niner
02-12-2004, 05:09
Some past experiences with "makin' holes bigger by drillin'":

The object should be clamped down HARD so it can't move, and a drill press should be used. The drill bit will have a tendency to quickly "bite" into the workpiece, and jerk the drill downward or the object upward, which can give you sloppy, non-round hole (or crack a small item like a sight).

The finished hole will have a shiny interior, which is usually considered bad for a peep-type sight because it will glare horribly in certain types of light. If you don't have a way to fix this (matte-finish paint, beadblast and reblue, etc.) I'd recommend not drilling.

Don't be surprised, especially if you redrill several times, if the hole starts to wander off to one side. If you cannot easily adjust for this in the finished product, I'd say don't drill.

Hope this was helpful...

shrpshtr
02-12-2004, 12:40
i wouldn't drill it either. you take a chance of screwing up the sight and you have to go through the same amount of work as replacing it. they make a variety of different peep sights that come w/holes almost the size of a dime. check out Cabelas Archery Section (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat600331&navAction=jump&navCount=1&parentId=cat21424&parentType=category&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fcategory-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424)

you would have to do just as much work to drill one out as to replace it. HTH!

noway
02-12-2004, 12:56
Thinks for the hints.....

I think I will past and order a new peep from bass pro or F/S discount archery.

I just need to look at the different models amd type to see whats available for a 3 sting type.

OH37
02-19-2004, 08:04
No matter what, always tie your peep sight in. No matter how solid they "seem" to be attached. I knew a guy who lost an eye because he didn't tie his in.

noway
02-19-2004, 09:14
actually, I've been looking ay bypassing the peep and trying one of the stationary rear-sights for a bow. Yikes and Follow-thru.

Pat S
02-19-2004, 21:20
Gee, I always just used a cordless drill and increased the size slowly until I arrived at a desired diameter. For outdoors around 1/8" seems to work. When you've arrived at the right size take a Q-tip with a little black paint and dab a little onto the hole to eliminate the glare.

Pat S.