West Virginia Hunting & Fishing info... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia Hunting & Fishing info...

elkriver48
02-12-2004, 09:44
The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources website is chock full of ALL the info you will ever need about hunting & fishing in the Mountain State.

www.wvdnr.gov

ILikeFtLbs
02-15-2004, 18:52
I do most of my hunting in West VA. I love it. They're DNR is terrific. The numbers and varieties of animals can't even be described.

The only complaints I have are that a lot of deer hunters hold out for nothing but antlered deer because of the bag limits and the way the seasons are outlined. I think the DNR should examine a few new techniques for game management. Maybe a match system- one doe for every buck. Or regulate the antlered season as spike bucks in one group (3 inches or longer only) and regular antlered bucks as 3 pts on each side and at leastas wide as the ears or about 11 inch spread. Right now, they just classify antlered deer as anything with at least 3 inches on each side. They should specify that a little better to promote a healthy population. A lot of young bucks are getting shot out before they have time to mature and breed. I have lots of other ideas that would make the hunting season for whitetail better, but too many to list.

Dan
02-19-2004, 13:16
Originally posted by ILikeFtLbs
regulate the antlered season as spike bucks in one group (3 inches or longer only) and regular antlered bucks as 3 pts on each side and at leastas wide as the ears or about 11 inch spread. Right now, they just classify antlered deer as anything with at least 3 inches on each side. They should specify that a little better to promote a healthy population. A lot of young bucks are getting shot out before they have time to mature and breed.
I totally agree, my dad has 580 acres in WV. I went for opening week (rifle) and let many smaller bucks and does go. Feb. of '03 WV had a real bad ice storm near my dad. He found 7 deer dead in the back field. In the spring I came across a few dead ones in the woods and one had a downed tree over it. I noticed I didnt hear that many shots opening week like I have heard in the past. After a few days, I stopped at the local check staion, they said it is a bad year, numbers are way down. Mostly does were being harvested. My dad told me the insurance companys come down hard on WV to thin out the deer cause of all the auto damage claims. Hopefully this year will be better for the deer and population.
PA has a law close to what you are talking about.

ILikeFtLbs
02-20-2004, 20:16
Your experience this year was the exact same as mine. Usually at first light on opening day the shots go for about 2 hours non-stop. I have 8 buddies that always come down to my farm for opeing week and we all commented on how we thought there were far fewer shots this year. I did have a good season though. The deer on my property seemed to have better body mass than usual. I suspect that this was because the ones that survived the winter fed very well during the summer since we didn't have a water problem.

I found 3 or four dead deer last spring, one was a nice 8-ptr. It was a shame.

At the end of december, with all the snow and cold weather the deer seemed to be roaming a lot looking for food. I saw a bunch of bucks pass by my stand during the antlerless season looking for food. I have automated feeders spread all over the place and the deer were going through about 500 lbs of corn in 3 days. I could hardly keep up with them!

I have about 280 acres on my farm between Augusta and Romney, plus 700 acres that my neighbor lets me hunt on. West Va is terrific.