Successful boar hunt! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Successful boar hunt!

Roger C
02-12-2004, 12:06
Success this past weekend. Here's me with my hog:
http://home.comcast.net/~rconlin3/rogerhog.jpg

I wasn't bright enough to know how to pose for the purty picture, so you can't see the shotgun over my left shoulder very well.

Roger C
02-12-2004, 12:07
Here's my partner, Mike, who planned the trip (thanks again, Mike!):
http://home.comcast.net/~rconlin3/mikehog.jpg

After looking at them back at the lodge, I think his came in just a little heavier than mine (seemed to have heavier back legs).

noway
02-12-2004, 12:16
Nice job.

Also you have hunted hogs in the snow which is something impossible in my area;f

Any information on how you hunted these hogs down?

( from a stand, stalking,still hunt, dogs,load used, broadhead size,etc...)

I'm curious as to whats the hogs behavior when snow is out and do they become less nocturnal and more active in the day time.

shrpshtr
02-12-2004, 12:30
nice hog! that is something i can say i have never done, hunt hogs in the snow. looks like both of you were successful. (unless that is the same hog.) congrats!

Roger C
02-12-2004, 13:52
It had been freezing rain the day before, the guide and his wife were joking that we would get a chance to see "pigs on ice". We had an inch or so of snow overnight, and light snow all day during the hunt. The snow actually made it easier to move around, but I for one was more cautious about what to do if one of them fella's turned ornry. The snow made it easy to walk in and locate tracks, plus the fact that the trees were bare let us see across one hill to the next to find the boar. We had one big nasty bugger charge us a few times ("head for the trees, boys..."). The one I got was a neat, uniqely blond colored hog in a group of 6 we located. It took two Lightfield slugs to get the message across (and yes, the first one was right in the chest area, I have the ribs in my freezer with the big ol' hole in them). He walked away from the first one, finally laid down, the second shot put out the lights. Then that big nasty fella came back and thought that HE was the hunter that day. He kept us away from my kill for a good 20 minutes or so until the owner and the guide chased him off. I'll get pictures of all of the above up on my website soon.

My partner, who is an accomplished bow hunter, took his down with a couple of arrows. To add some more to how tough these boys were (as if two slug hits isn't enough), Mike's first arrow caught the hog in mid-step, shattering one front leg. The hog kept going, and his second arrow was a solid chest-cavity hit. The hog finally went down, but kept struggling to get back up. It was not going anywhere, just struggling in pain, so Mike put a third arrow into him (actually the same arrow from the second shot) just to put him down. His hog had a lot of red hair, with extra long bristly hair on his back ridge.

While stalking them down at the beginning, we got to see a couple of fights between hogs. Mike made the comment that they sound like a hot-rod when they get to grunting. ;c

Edited to add: Finally got the pictures up: http://www.conlin.org/boar_hunt.htm

noway
02-13-2004, 08:24
{It took two Lightfield slugs to get the message across (and yes, the first one was right in the chest area, I have the ribs in my freezer with the big ol' hole in them). He walked away from the first one, finally laid down, the second shot put out the lights.}

any particular Lightfield used?

I've been testing the 12ga EXP style for the last 12months plus and having nothing but +s to say about it. The commander style seems to be the biggy for greater penetration.

I spoke to a few hunters in VA that used the 20ga EXP style on deer with very good results. I think these should be very good on typical size boars here in Fl.

Roger C
02-16-2004, 16:02
I was using the 12ga 2 3/4" Hybred EXP slugs. They were the most accruate in my gun (Rem 870 w/ a 20" rifled barrel) over the Federal and Winchester sabot slugs.

Dogbite
02-16-2004, 17:25
Good job!!!

hodgdonhead
02-18-2004, 14:31
Very nice hogs. Pops, myself and my uncle are going to head out this May to get some Hogs. Seeing these pics has got my thinking about it.

Make sure you make some Hog Chili.

Roger C
02-19-2004, 09:45
Hog chili, now that's something I never thought of. I'll have to give it a try. We cooked up some this week, let it roast in the crock pot all day long with carrots & potatoes, a couple of cut up apples, some applejuice in with the water....mmmmmm! The meat was so tender it was falling of the bone, more like roast beef than pork.
:)

Alchemy
02-19-2004, 12:17
Damn I wish that we had hogs here. That's one thing that I'm
going to hunt before the Grim Reaper calls my number.

Great job on the hunt guy's!

duncan
03-06-2004, 16:09
Originally posted by Roger C
I was using the 12ga 2 3/4" Hybred EXP slugs. They were the most accruate in my gun (Rem 870 w/ a 20" rifled barrel) over the Federal and Winchester sabot slugs.

Slugs are what I want to use on my hog hunt.

Excellent work.

Around WA state, they are un-regulated so you can hunt hogs all year round.

Problem is, there aren't many.