Steaks, a Foreman grill, and tenderness suggestions... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Steaks, a Foreman grill, and tenderness suggestions...

lwt210
02-12-2004, 16:54
I haven't cooked steaks on my G. Foreman grills yet but plan on doing it this weekend. I've done chops, yard bird and burgers but never a steak.

Probably be New York Strips and I was wondering about tenderizing them.

Should I just beat the heck out of them with a tenderizing mallet or is there a tasty spread that I can put on them to get the job done?

Or can I just pretty much marinate them in something and just toss them on the thing.

I like my steak tender and so does the wife. She wants hers well done but tender.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.;c

Bill D
02-12-2004, 17:45
Well done steak and tender can never be used in the same sentence!

Penman
02-12-2004, 18:23
For a tender, well done steak, I'd go for a fillet-a couple of thin slices, or butterfly it.

ColoradoPacker
02-12-2004, 21:58
You mean the George Foreman grill doesn't beat up the steaks prior to cooking them!?!?

That's one way to tenderize them.

Mild Bill
02-12-2004, 22:19
There is a section of the chuck called the "chuck eye"...

Chuck eye steaks have been very juicy, tender, and flavorful on the George...
They seem to do well even when cooked past medium, the way my wife likes steak... and they're cheap...
like $3.99 a pound...
I put a spicy western seasoning on them and sizzle'em up...
Let them rest a few minutes and the spicy juices come flooding out, and the meat softens...

Possessing limited fat and flavor, Filet Mignon or Tenderloin is often a disappointment on the George.
Tenderloin really benefits from a hot charcoal or smokey open grill...

Steaks often won't brown or "crust up" on the George unless you leave it forever, and then it's tough...
Seems ya get some steam action in between the hot plates...
Often the meat comes out wet and grey...

A carmelizing glaze, rub, or marinade helps a lot with that...
Even Worcestershire helps there...

I spent a lot of quality time with my XXL George Foreman grill this past year, but I'm using my cast iron pan again for steaks...

;c

BikerGoddess
02-13-2004, 09:30
I had been grilling steaks right from the store and was disappointed. Then I cooked one that had been frozen first, and it was much better. I stock up on the NY strips when they're on sale now, since I'll freeze them first anyway.

Haven't found a marinade I like that makes them tender.

Laura

Dragline
02-13-2004, 09:38
I've been disappointed by any steak I've cooked on my GF. dosen't matter what cut I chose or whether I marinade or not, it necer seems to come out all that great. OK maybe, but not great.

Nothing beats a steak cooked outside over the ole Kingsford charcoal. ;f

noway
02-13-2004, 09:39
bill D has it right tender and welldone don't go together. ;f

The foreman grill does wonders in equal cooking ( cooking from both sides ) and great for folks like myself ( well-done or medium well done ).

Another con/neg with the foreman grill, is you can't really adjust heat but only using time as the controlling factor in determining the cooking method.

Jon509
02-13-2004, 15:47
Dale's steak sauce & McKormack Montreal Steak Seasoning.
Jon

lwt210
02-14-2004, 18:37
Well, just got finished eating up the big Valentines meal and the strips turned out GREAT!!!!

The secret seems to be finding good cuts (N.Y. strips in this case), A-1 Chicago steakhouse marinade with Adolph's tenderizer mixed in well, and about a six hour or longer sit in the fridge.

They were tender and juicy....just about the best steaks that I have done. And I usually grill them over a hot bed of Kingsford and won't have them any other way.

BUT, I had to constantly turn them to keep the cooking even. To go along with the steaks, I did 30 blackened shrimp (Zatterans blackening rub) with the tails cut off wrapped in bacon cooked earlier on the Foreman grill. I also did two chicken breast fillets marinated in zesty Italian dressing and cut into strips laid over a bed of salad and used the rest of the bacon on top of all that.

A couple of baked potatoes, a little iced tea, and a few yeast rolls thrown on the table with all of that......

let's just say Mrs. lwt210 was more than pleased. And she will hurt your feelings in a heartbeat if the meal is undercooked or not tasty in some way or another. She gobbled up the grub with ferocity.

It looks like I am in for an eventfull night. Gonna plop down in front of the tube and watch Casablanca when jr. goes to bed.;c

Medford4
02-15-2004, 00:44
My extra-large size Hamilton Beach grill that was a Consumer Report "Best-Buy" ($45, Walmart) has adjustable heat. If you want your steaks browned, coat them with Kitchen Bouquet first.

darin2
02-15-2004, 15:47
Originally posted by Mild Bill
[B]There is a section of the chuck called the "chuck eye"...

Chuck eye steaks have been very juicy, tender, and flavorful on the George... They seem to do well even when cooked past medium, the way my wife likes steak... and they're cheap...
like $3.99 a pound...
[B]

I agree with Mild Bill on this one. I have been eating the Chuck eye steaks for a few months now. They have a really good flavor, and are about the quality of a ribeye with less fat and about half the price.

MrsKitty
02-15-2004, 19:53
Originally posted by darin2
I agree with Mild Bill on this one. I have been eating the Chuck eye steaks for a few months now. They have a really good flavor, and are about the quality of a ribeye with less fat and about half the price.

I am with Mild Bill too! A chuck eye is one of my favorite cuts. If I am cooking, it is what I prefer to cook!

Mild Bill
02-15-2004, 21:36
Cool doodz!

;c

Roro
02-17-2004, 10:40
Originally posted by Bill D
Well done steak and tender can never be used in the same sentence!

Exactly, and you wont find a tender strip anywhere near well done. If you want tender and well you better get a fatty cut of meat.

As far as marinade: Dont. Lightly brush a seasoning on while cooking. I recommend the last 2 flips before it is done to your liking.

You would be amazed what olive oil and pepper can do for a steak. (lightly coat 1 hour before cooking) then brush on before done.