Olive oil [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil

okie
02-13-2004, 13:03
Is there a big difference in quality and taste in extra virgin
olive oils^8 I know there is a difference in taste between virgin and x virgin just don't know if the more expencive brands are better then the cheaper ones^8

pizzaaguy
02-13-2004, 13:35
Originally posted by okie
olive oil

ASK BLUTO AND POPEYE! ;f

Cali-Glock
02-13-2004, 14:05
olive oils^8 I know there is a difference in taste between virgin and x virgin just don't know if the more expencive brands are better then the cheaper ones^8

There are probably purists who will tell you otherwise, but I experimented with various brands Extra Virgin olive oil, and found no difference.

I now buy Safeway Brand on sale, or whatever is at Costco.

noway
02-13-2004, 15:07
Believe or not but I whent to a olive oil seminar in Spain.
Yes big difference in the various style and regions that produce oil. Contrary to CaliGlock, the various brands do have some difference.

One thing I will tell you, buy in small quanity for better taste. Olive oil over time changes it texture and flavor. A big 1gal can after 1yr or storage won't exhibit the same flavor of a smaller size bottle. Keep it in a dark cabinet and not on your table. Light breaks down the oil quicker.

Some of the best oils I've used are from Spain and Italy. Great on bread,cheese and salads.

enjoy...

lethal tupperwa
02-13-2004, 15:57
Go to Costco and buy one of the small square bottles of estate bottled. It is called Tuccano and costs 11.99 a liter.

The new crop is just in it will have the year 2003 on the bottle.

I find that it is fresher and less expensive than what you can get at speciality stores.

Pick up some or their rustic bread and dip into the oil maybe with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

noway
02-13-2004, 17:14
You want some fine very good Olive oil, steer away from the stuff from spain and italy and try some greek oils.

very tastefull and well worth the $$$s spent. just my few pesos....

ebigfish
02-13-2004, 17:40

all the above posts are true but they REALLY miss the point...

simply put:

the diff is:

your Extra Virgin olive oil comes from REALLY UGLY Olives!

Now you know.

;e

General Sherman
02-13-2004, 17:57
Some of the finest extra virgin olive oils I have tried come from North Africa. I certainly would look at other sources in addition to Spain and Italy.
I have found some fine ones in the three liter cans or gallon cans at Fiesta in Houston and various "farmers markets" in Atlanta, and speciality stores, with "Fresh", "Whole" or "Trader" in their names.
I have not checked "Specs" in Houston...

This is certainly a subject ripe for inquiry.

:)

MrsKitty
02-14-2004, 09:22
Cold or expeller pressed is always better too!

I will use a gallon of olive oil quickly!

It is almost all I cook with between sauting and salads. Mmmm;f

USPMAN
02-14-2004, 22:10
Do all wines taste the same? You can definately tell the difference between a higher quality extra virgin olive oil and a cheaper one, but you may not like the taste of the expensive one. It seems some of the good ones, around $26/bottle, taste more "grassy" and/or "peppery" than the cheaper ones, which may or may not suit your fancy. As for the $70 bottles, I could not tell you how they taste.

Like most other gourmet items, the best olive oils seem to come from France, IMO, but Italy, Spain, Greece, California, and South Africa, in no particular order, can produce excellent ones.

rhikdavis
02-14-2004, 23:08
Originally posted by pizzaaguy
ASK BLUTO AND POPEYE! ;f

Kaaaaaaaaaa ka ka ka ka ka ka ka ka ka. Are you finishked? ;f

Yup, it's late. Time for the fluff shift.

BrushyBill
02-15-2004, 00:02
It really depends on what you're using the olive oil for... if you're using it for high temperature cooking, plain old OO or VOO will do just fine, since the heating will essentially make your EVOO into plain OO. EVOO is best used for cooking with light heating or no heating.

Mild Bill
02-15-2004, 23:06
I think you can tell the difference in the quality of the extra virgins when you drizzle it over
sliced FRESH Mozzarella... The white milky ball...

Sliced about 1/4", sprinkled with salt and a few turns of the pepper grinder, some chopped Basil,
drizzled generously with the olive oil...

The cheese is very delicately flavored so you can really taste the olive oil...
It's always "good" but sometimes it's great...
When it's great, it behaves more like a sauce...

I found the smaller supermarket bottle of Monini to be fruity, peppery, and tasty...
It's $8.99 for a kinda small bottle...

I really want to get some premium fresh stuff...
Right off the press...

;c

The Pontificator
02-16-2004, 09:55
While the taste and quality of extra virgin olive oils differs from manufacturer to manufacturer (and from country to country) they're all pretty decent. I've never bought any really bad EV olive oil.

Olive oils from Sicily are particularly good.

Cooks Illustrated did a taste test of olive oils and I believe their "best buy" was Bertolli, which is the brand I usually buy in "pure olive oil" form and sometimes buy in Extra Virgin whenever I go to Sam's Club.

Right now I have a 34 oz. bottle of "Borges" extra virgin olive oil (Spain). Big Lots: $4.99

nickg
02-16-2004, 10:34
i've noticed that some EVOO brands taste lighter than others. so yes there is a difference.

okie
02-17-2004, 02:28
Thanks so much for all the good info everyone:cool: ;a

DB
02-19-2004, 23:15
I didn't realize there was so much of a difference. I have been using it to fry my french fries and chicken strips, and haven't noticed any taste difference between it and regular ole vegitable oil. I was just using it because it's supposed to be better for you.

DB

Nigel_C
02-20-2004, 09:15
I was in Northern Italy this summer. Olive oil there is like micro brews here..
Bought some in Florence and San Gimignano...nice pepper like taste. It was incredible.
Fresh Motz, Presciuto and Tomatoes..drizzled with Olive oil...I was in heaven...

jmg
02-20-2004, 15:22
Okie--There's definately a difference in olive oil flavors--I tried DeEcco (Italian import) and Lucini (also Italian), and was blown away by their flavor. Made some steamed green beans w/sauteed shallot, toasted almonds, lemon zest/juice, and drizzled brand X oil over it at in-laws @ Christmas and it was just plain oil-y. Have made the exact same recipe @ home w/ the above quality oils, and it's worlds apart in terms of taste.definately

hawk
02-20-2004, 16:32
OK,

This is a little off topic but my wife is looking for Extra-Extra Virgin Olive Oil. We've found extra virgin in the past but I can't find anything anywhere about extra extra. Is there such an animal and where can I find some?

Thanks,

MrsKitty
02-22-2004, 17:00
Originally posted by DB
I didn't realize there was so much of a difference. I have been using it to fry my french fries and chicken strips, and haven't noticed any taste difference between it and regular ole vegitable oil. I was just using it because it's supposed to be better for you.

DB

DB,

Don't use olive oil to do you french fries! At that high of heat, you loose your flavor. That is why you haven't noticed a difference in taste. Use canola, peanut or vegatable oil for that.

Use olive for sauteeing, stir-frying, salads and low temp cooking. High heat kills the flavor!

Cold pressed or expeller pressed has better flavor than a label just saying olive oil. Virgin or extra virgin will have a strong flavor. Start out buying the small bottles until you find one you like then get the big bottles. It will be more expensive by the ounce but it beats having a quart of one you can't stand the flavor of! The flavors of olive oil can vary as much as wines do.

MissKitty