Barbados rum -- what's the name? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Barbados rum -- what's the name?

seti870
02-16-2004, 21:25
Hi all.

Several months ago, good friends of mine came back from their honeymoon to Barbados. They brought back a bottle of liqueur, and I can't clearly recall the name. Some alcohol may have been involved.

It was 'Krisma' or similar. All else I recall is that it was rum based, had about 17% alch. by volume, was from Barbados, and went down really easy.

Repeated searches through google and of international spirits sellers has turned up zip.

I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has suggestions, I would very much appreciate the help.

;c

noway
02-16-2004, 23:28
I think you mean "Crisma rum". Pretty good stuff but kinda weak for my taste. I've seen it around a few shops in Miami area but it is not a common seller. Mount Gay is the known Barbados rum that you find. I posted a link to their website.

http://www.crismarumcream.com/

seti870
02-17-2004, 10:40
That's the one. Thank you too much.

^1

hodgdonhead
02-17-2004, 16:22
I can still remember the hang over from 185 proof Mount Gay rum I got from the Mount Gay factory in Barbados. Ouch.

seti870
02-17-2004, 23:43
I know it's not strong, particularly as rum goes. Most of the interest is sentimental.

noway
02-17-2004, 23:58
I try to make it a habit not to drink rum based with coconut, creams, juices or even pretty umbrellas. ;f

Barbancourt, Appleton Estate or Barcardi aged rum is all you need. Crisma and other similiar rums are a fad and tourist catchy, great for the hotel bar and club, but real rum drinkers like the good stuff striaght on the rocks or with a splash of orange , limon, juice or coke. just my 0.02c opinion.

{I can still remember the hang over from 185 proof Mount Gay rum I got from the Mount Gay factory in Barbados. Ouch}

I never knew a 90% alcohol rum exist. And I thought bacardi 151 & wild turkey was the killer.

hodgdonhead
02-18-2004, 15:28
Yah no joke, 185 proof. You can only buy it in Barbados cause they cannot sell it in the states. To be honest, it tastes like gasoline if you drink it straight. We were making Long Islands with them.

Now I am stickly a Beer guy. I leave hard liquor alone cause it no longer likes me.

Darkmage
02-26-2004, 21:21
Perhaps I'm being a bit of a sissy boy, but I'm a big fan of Pusser's rum from the British Virgin Islands. It used to be that you could only get it at the Pussers stores in the BVI or the one in Annapolis. But the ABC stores finally started carrying it. Good stuff, and the Pussers "PainKiller" is a marvelous island drink for those who like coconut and little umbrellas in their drinks.

VinniefromNY
02-26-2004, 23:25
A friend of mine moved to the American VI, and came back with Curvaz Rum...absolutely delicious, particularly with egg nog...;c ;c ;c

noway
02-27-2004, 11:28
Pussers is great rum, specially the dark version. Easily available in most big city areas.