Pro Pilots - Elated or Cynical [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pro Pilots - Elated or Cynical

C150J
02-16-2004, 22:56
Hi all,

In my last six years of flying, I've met many professional pilots. It SEEMS as if they fall into one of two categories. There's the "beats workin' for a living group," who love what they do, and the "I HATE MY LIFE" group, which seem to think that the grass is always greener elsewhere.

I'd like to hear from those on the board - what do you love about flying for a living? What do you hate? Do you have any regrets about your career choice? What words of advice do you have for someone who is thinking about a 121 career?

Thanks!
J.

Wulfenite
02-19-2004, 14:09
BTT

I have a buddy who's a pro. This guy had 4 different majors in college and at least that many different careers after college before he started flying. All total he's spent many more working years as a pilot than the other careers put together. So I guess that speaks well. But within piloting he's done instructing, bush piloting, airline work, and is now flying cargo. I'd say he's in between the two camps you described. "Beats working for a living".... but not cause of the flying, mostly the work schedule. If anything the flying part of it seems to be the most disapointing.

C150J
02-19-2004, 14:21
That's interesting, as I've heard similar perspectives...

It also seems that SOME who make their "vacation a vocation" lose their intrinsic motivation to fly. On the other hand, I know guys who fly day in and day out and love it. To each his own!

J.

M2 Carbine
02-19-2004, 17:11
I usually gave the "It beats working for a living" answer when asked why I was flying for a living.

It was shorter than,
"Are you kidding? These idiots are giving me a million dollar sports car to tear up the sky like the teenager I never out grew.

AND, it's one thing that I do very well, which means that if all the thousands of overstressed moving parts stay on the helicopter and if today isn't the day I decide to see if this bird will do a roll, I will probably get you to your destination alive.

AND, I'm getting paid to do it.;f

As far as regrets about flying for a living?
Probably three.

1. I was away from my wife too much and I know reason #2 caused her a lot of worry.
2. Far too many pilots died around me.
3. I didn't make enough money.

But there's nothing I would have rather done with my life.:)

Bushflyr
02-19-2004, 20:53
340kts, 1500ft, 4 mile base. And I'm gettin paid for this. :)

FlyNavy
03-07-2004, 05:28
Navy helo guy here. Elated. Wanted tactical jets...wasn't in the cards. You can't go wrong getting paid to fly no matter what you're in. I don't think you can beat the military missions either. The privilege of being an Officer(or Warrant), leader and warrior makes the pilot job even more rewarding. Free training and travel, good pay etc. (and SERE school is a blast! ;g )

I love being deployed and I love doing the mission. I figure I'm only young and dumb once, may as well do something exciting. I'm sure when I'm old I'll look back on some moments and say "What was I thinking?!" But for now I'm fearless except for getting caught doing something stupid.

HerrGlock
03-10-2004, 06:12
Hovering in the trees, launch a HellFire, follow up with .50 cal.

They pay me to do WHAT?

DanH

FlyNavy
03-10-2004, 06:28
Sweet HerrGlock. What aircraft are you flying?

HerrGlock
03-10-2004, 06:32
OH-58D. Before that was A/C and I loved every minute of both types. For pure fun, an A+ was the tops, for getting down to business, the D model rocks.

DanH

Helopilot
03-10-2004, 18:47
Dear Mr. M2 Carbine,
37 years, 14k+ and I couldn't have said it better.

M2 Carbine
03-10-2004, 22:31
Originally posted by Helopilot
Dear Mr. M2 Carbine,
37 years, 14k+ and I couldn't have said it better.

Were you or are you flying in the Gulf?

FlyNavy
03-10-2004, 23:12
What Hellfire capable bird are you Cav guys flying that has a .50 cal? I'm always amazed at the combinations of ordnance you guys figure out how to stuff on helos.

HerrGlock
03-11-2004, 04:52
Originally posted by FlyNavy What Hellfire capable bird are you Cav guys flying that has a .50 cal?

OH-58D. Check out my page in my sig.

DanH

Helopilot
03-14-2004, 09:44
of Mexico that is. Sorry I was so long in replying but I'm on hitch and on line time is limited. Yes I'm flying for PHI out of Texas coast. Flying ruined me for any kind of useful work. I wouldn't want to do anything else. Don't let management know I said that as contract negotiations are starting. 10 years of low pay(7 yrs of pay freeze) and less than good working conditions. Now, pay is good and safety has gotten a lot more emphasis.
Got to go. Have to go fly. Darn, hate it when that happens.