Humblers: Things one does to reset [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Humblers: Things one does to reset

Skyhook
02-18-2004, 11:45
a friend/associate's humility index.

Two little practical jokes were often used in my flying circles, one in the T-34, the other in the C-172.
T-34 Humbler most often used on WA checkpilots or SA others was to take the ship up to altitude, do the mandated maneuvers and then after trimming to cruise, ask the backseater if he would like to demonstrate something or, just fly it for a while. Naturally, what he did not notice was you had turned the pitch trim almost fully forward so that when he says "I got it", you let go of the stick, the acft pitches over abruptly and it tries its darnedest to do an outside loop. (Be sure to turn your intercom volume down!) This also was an excellent way to check how secure the backseater had tightened the harness. We always wore helmets so there was seldom any permanent damage done when the head almost certainly impacted the greenhouse framework.

In the C-172, if there was a reason to register your displeasure with something the PIC was doing as he was taxiing, all you had to do was wait until the acft had to come quite close to a parked ship and just as the PIC thinks he has cleared the wingtip or whatever, slide your seat quickly forward and then release the seat release lever. The resulting 'THUMP!' will really get the guy's attention.
Also for the C-172, it was not uncommon to have the three pax behave as a team and on a signal unnoticed by the PIC all lean forward nonchalantly. The PIC will roll in some trim to adjust the cruise.... then everyone slowly leans back... and when the PIC rolls in the trim once more, wait a moment and repeat. Usually three or so cycles will do the trick....
Boredom is a deadly factor, ain't it?

M2 Carbine
02-19-2004, 21:33
When I started flying Bell G47s in the gulf I was flying a job that required jumping around a couple dozen offshore heliports all day.

Two young guys I flew a lot were always joking around. One would tell me to "wring" his buddy out or act like they were going to turn the fuel switch off in flight. I'de let them go for a while, then I'de catch them off guard and give them a ride that would make them be good boys for a few days.;f

Sad thing.
One of them was flying with a different pilot, on my days off.
They were taking off when a main rotor control rod broke about 150 feet up.
The chopper dove straight into the water killing them both.

Strange thing.
Both men were named Booth.
The pilot was new, on his second hitch offshore.

This is the bird that went in.
http://mercury.walagata.com/w/m2carbine/7537552.JPG

Texas T
02-19-2004, 22:28
M2, what altitude would you fly on your back-and-forth shuttles?

M2 Carbine
02-19-2004, 23:17
T
We were supposed to climb to 300ft before turning downwind.
If you are fast, you can make a 180 turn back into the wind in case of a forced landing autorotation.

We did 300 ft 180 autos to the water on check rides. Fun.

But working, if you climbed to 300ft on every takeoff you would never get anything done.
So sometimes we were zipping around right low.

I almost went in a couple times in that field.

One time the engine ate an exhaust valve and the engine kept from coming apart while I made a 180 degree powered approach to a little platform.
Maintenance did not believe it when I told them I thought the engine ate a valve and kept running. The piston was cracked and beat up but still in one piece.

Another time on climb out at about 175 feet the centrifugal clutch failed.
That disconnects the engine from the main rotor.
The engine went wide open and the main rotor RPM started down fast.
(long scarry story;f )

BTW
The N number of the helicopter that ate the valve was N1313X.
I only had it a couple days as a replacement for my regular ship.
1. A magneto failed on me.
2. The engine oil tank cracked dumping all the engine oil.
3. The engine ate a valve.
4. A forth thing happen to but I don't remember what.

A few months later I was supposed to fly it on an onshore job and the fuel line broke.

I found out later it had gone in the water several times.

I'm not superstitious but N1313X could make you that way ;f

flyboy5432H
02-20-2004, 11:10
i remeber one from when i was still in school, Mooney 88. somehow had a mysterous electrical short through the metal throttle shaft, would give you a pretty nasty zap from time to time if you rested your hand on the throttle.

once a student was adjusting his seat and reached under the console to pull the seat forward and burned both his hands pretty bad when something crossed on the same plane.

some aircraft are just not made to fly...

Bushflyr
02-20-2004, 11:19
Speaking of superstition, I used to fly a Cherokee 6, N666E(vil)B(east). It had a blood red velvet interior with jet black paint. Rumor had it that it was perviously owned by Anton LeVay. It flew great, never a sputter, and perfectly straight. Somebody must have made a deal.

BillCola
02-27-2004, 22:49
If this thread is about practical jokes, here's one:

When I was about 22 (1982) I was flying a load of drinking buddies to Catalina for binge-drinking and girl-chasing.

These yayhoos were making such an incredible racket in the plane I couldn't talk on the radio. They didn't take my Captain Bly passenger briefing very seriously, and I was getting pissed.

After about 3 firm warnings, I looked around the cockpit for a weapon. (pre-CCW days) All I could come up with was the pressurization dump valve. (Cessna P-210) Frankly, I was quite curious as to the full impact of pressure differential of physiology as well.

Long story short, it was like one of those old E.F. Hutton commercials, and very little bleeding. ;b

20 years later, each one of those yayhoos will still STFU upon my command, just in case.

leadbutt
02-28-2004, 01:45
Not a Pilot myself, the ole man flew Catalinas in the Navy, and just about any thing else that had a prop.

He told me that during check off on a newbie, they would let them get to altitude, and with out warning shut down a prop.

He always told me the worst scare he ever had happened while on the test crew for the jet Sea Martin. I guess jet engines don't like saltwater

Skyhook
02-28-2004, 04:16
OFF TOPIC please note.

For reasons I cannot fathom, I am being blocked from accessing this web site. The only way I can enter is to reply to some comment when notified by email.
I cannot post new, nor can I go to another forum or thread. This only happens here at GlockTalk and I am flummoxed completely.
I am posting this just to let my flying/shooting buds know that I am absent not by choice.

Thanks for reading.

M2 Carbine
02-28-2004, 07:55
Originally posted by leadbutt
Not a Pilot myself, the ole man flew Catalinas in the Navy, and just about any thing else that had a prop.

He told me that during check off on a newbie, they would let them get to altitude, and with out warning shut down a prop.

He always told me the worst scare he ever had happened while on the test crew for the jet Sea Martin. I guess jet engines don't like saltwater

The Sea Martin was a long time ago.:)

I went to work for Glen L. Martin when I got out of high school, 1956.
They were building the first Sea Martin. That was a good looking airplane. It was a good idea that turned out to not be needed. I think one of the new ideas it had was a rotating bomb rack for Atom Bombs.

I never saw it fly.
I wasn't at Glen L. Martin's too long before I went in the USMC.

Texas T
02-28-2004, 23:42
Originally posted by Skyhook
OFF TOPIC please note.

For reasons I cannot fathom, I am being blocked from accessing this web site. The only way I can enter is to reply to some comment when notified by email.
I cannot post new, nor can I go to another forum or thread. This only happens here at GlockTalk and I am flummoxed completely.
I am posting this just to let my flying/shooting buds know that I am absent not by choice.

Thanks for reading. Skyhook, have you asked Eric for help on this? What specifically happens when you try to access GT? Do any pages load at all? Give us as many details as possible including what software you're running on your machine. If we can't solve it here I'll post a link in the Tech Talk forum and see if we can get some more help there.

leadbutt
02-29-2004, 00:37
M2, yep it did, it was one reason the AF, was fighting it so hard, the second model was to have the same rack but set up for mines,

I still have the original print Dad gave me of it, have thought for years about donating it to the Naval Air Museum in Pennsacola

Skyhook
02-29-2004, 03:48
Texas T, I wrote to the webmaster twice detailing the situation and received nothing in return. I did not contact Eric for I thought he was pretty much invested in other things and did not need to be bothered with 'mechanical', 'trivial' problems.
No, I cannot access any other part of GT except as reader and replier to specific threads like this, for instance. If I were to try to go to any other subdivision of the site, the green 'gimme' banner comes up and the frigger locks and will not complete loading. Nothing but this, exactly this, works.
All the rest of my web-related stuff flies.^2 ;d

(Thanks for the response, BTW. I have been flying the little RV-4 about in these winter skies- from 5K one can really see forever!)

Texas T
02-29-2004, 21:18
Skyhook, have you emptied your cache? If not, delete all your internet temp files/cookies, reboot, and then give it a try. Let us know your status after you do this.

Skyhook
03-01-2004, 05:28
I do empty all internet temps routinely, but those cookies are protected by my Norton set-up. I'll attempt to remove that protection and give the eraser bit a try. Thanks.

Texas T
03-01-2004, 19:10
Update?

Skyhook
03-02-2004, 07:11
That Norton anti-virus program doesn't seem to have a means for me to knock off the cookie protection characteristic so I'll get in touch with Semantec's 'HALP' group.
(I'm re-naming my computer.. it is now my Idiot Savant)

BillCola
03-02-2004, 09:02
Skyhook,
Do a search for "PURGE IE", a freeware/shareware browser laxative. Should do the trick.

Skyhook
03-03-2004, 11:58
Hey, Bill & Tex, I seem to have gotten the thing cleared up. What I did was to go to IE 'Tools', 'Options', General Tab, "Dump Cookies" (at least that's what the booger did) and now I seem to have the ability to once more skip and post all over the site.. just like all other sites I visit!
The only thing I have to do is sign in each place- small price to pay for accessibility, I say.

Thanks to you all for the encouragment, etc>;+ ^c

Texas T
03-05-2004, 15:23
The best thing would have been to find the cookie that was just for GT and delete that, but I didn't know what your computer knowledge level was like so it's easier to tell folks to just kill everything. Glad you're "back in the air" with us. :)

Skyhook
03-05-2004, 15:31
"computer knowledge"???
Whas dat? I am the dumbest person to ever attempt to run one of these beasts and that's how I intend to keep it.;f ;a
(No kidding.)