Would pellet gun kill a large possum? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would pellet gun kill a large possum?

Jack Straight
02-18-2004, 15:53
I live in the suburbs, and the other night my dog, who lives in the house, went wild. I let him out, and he corners what to me seemed like a large possum. (I know it was a possum, and I think it was large for possums.)

Thankfully, he didn't tangle with it, after it showed its fangs. Nasty.

Got the dog in, and eventually went back to sleep.

Since it caused me to loose sleep, I wanted to kill it, but can't discharge a 22 in city limits. Would a powerful pellet gun have done it? I was only a few feet away. Eventually it hid in a bush clump, withs just its rear and tail showing. Would a rear shot be fatal with a pellet gun?

Sorry if these are dumb questions...I'm mostly a handgun guy, and I've never hunted.

Officiall I should call Animal Control, but who wants to do that at 4:30am? Once I got hold of my dog, the possum was just a nuisance due to the neighbor's dog barking.

thanks

WalterGA
02-18-2004, 16:01
You're going to think I'm joking, but I'm not. Shoot the neighbor's dog in the butt with the pellet rifle and leave the possum alone.

commander
02-18-2004, 16:51
I don't think a pellet rifle has enough penetration to reach the vitals. If you can't make a clean kill, leave it alone or call Animal Control. They may set a trap and relocate it for you.

Don't shoot a dog in the butt! Don't ask me how I know.;g

Jack Straight
02-18-2004, 16:58
Originally posted by WalterGA
You're going to think I'm joking, but I'm not. Shoot the neighbor's dog in the butt with the pellet rifle and leave the possum alone.

Why would I do that? I like my neighbor, and his dog. His dog is an outside dog, and provides a niece outer perimeter alert system. If something bothers him enough, my dog wakes up.

It drives me crazy when they bark and run around at 2am, when I can't see anything, but they probably scent something that is now up in a tree or bush. But if someday they chase a burgular out of my yard, they've earned their keep.

noway
02-18-2004, 17:47
{ Since it caused me to loose sleep, I wanted to kill it, but can't discharge a 22 in city limits. Would a powerful pellet gun have done it? I was only a few feet away. Eventually it hid in a bush clump, withs just its rear and tail showing. Would a rear shot be fatal with a pellet gun?}

why would you kill a possum for being a possum? ;Q

That animals has just about much right for being their as your dog did.

Edge
02-18-2004, 18:06
I dislike possums, but they are extremely difficult to kill quickly. I don't think you could humanely do it with a pellet gun.

mikerau
02-18-2004, 22:05
It has alot to do with what pellet gun you buy they all have different feet per second etc. I have killed alot of small animals with a good pellet gun, do a little reserch on them and buy a good one.

WalterGA
02-18-2004, 22:52
I wouldn't suggest that you assassinate the neighbor's dog. If you have a variable power (like a pump-up) pellet rifle, pump it maybe once and sting the barker in the butt. I'm a lot more incensed at my neighbors who let their dogs bark at night than I am about a silent, slinky, harmless possum.

vafish
02-19-2004, 06:24
With one of the powerful pellet guns (1000 fps or more) and a head shot you can kill a possum.

The shot you described with only the Possum's backside visible you would not have killed it. The possum most likely would have wandered off and died a painfull death from the infection.

If the Possum is really a problem, get a HaveaHeart trap (don't use a leg hold trap because if you catch your neighbors cat by mistake they will get really pissed. Don't ask how I know), live trap the possum and while it is in the trap shoot it in the head with a pellet gun.

Walter's advice actually isn't too bad, but for a different reason than he gives.

The real reason the Possum is hanging around is because there is food for it. Most likely your neighbors "Outside" dog's food bowl. Get rid of the food source and the possum will leave for better pickins. (as will the rats and other vermin)

shrpshtr
02-19-2004, 08:20
vafish is right about the pellet rifle. a good one will kill possum with a head or heart shot. but neither will do it quickly. those little suckers are pretty tough. call animal control during the day, tell them you have had a "late night" visitor and they will come and set a trap (or they should). that would be the best solution to keep you outta trouble.

noway
02-19-2004, 09:24
If this late night visitor is so much of a problem that it must be kill, then why don't you place raccoon/possum posion bait out?

That would be easier than to bait them, you don't have to worry about get a pellet gun to shoot it, and last I check traps cost alot more than a single box of possum pellet bait.

Michigun
02-19-2004, 12:21
The Sheridan (SP?) Silver Streak .20 caliber pellet gun does REAL well (when put in an eye socket) on 35+ pound woodchucks… don’t ask me how I know. ;)

Oh yeah, I also hear a laser is a MUST for the nighttime shooting of opossums… something about making their heads light up. :)

WalterGA
02-19-2004, 15:22
I just happen to own a Sheridan Silver Streak!

02-19-2004, 17:38
Back when I lived in South Florida, rabies was becomming a problem in animals such as possums, and racoons. If you called the animal control office, they would come out, set a trap(havahart) in your backyard, bait it, and then come back and haul off anything they caught overnight. It was very easy, and you didn't have to fool with anything. They would do it all for you. And this was in a typical middle class neighborhood. If you did this yourself, it was considered "trapping without a license", and you could get ticketed, or fined. And if you shot it, the SWAT team would probably be at your front door within a few minutes.

Give your local animal control a call, and see if they have a similar program.

Michigun
02-20-2004, 06:38
I just happen to own a Sheridan Silver Streak!

Nice air gun for the money, eh?

Had mine sense I was 13 years old... it doesn't look new anymore… been through a lot! :)

WalterGA
02-20-2004, 08:17
Michigan: My Silver Streak is about 40 years old. Still looks pretty good, and I can't tell any difference in its power, than from when it was new.

When I was a kid, I had several of the Crosman (or is that" Crossman?) pump-up pellet rifles in .22 cal. I was deadly accurate with the C's, and actually killed a mullet with mine. My father bought the Silver Streak for my brother and I later "appropriated" it.

lethal tupperwa
02-20-2004, 08:55
Would not a baseball bat work ?

Michigun
02-20-2004, 09:44
My Silver Streak is about 40 years old. Still looks pretty good, and I can't tell any difference in its power, than from when it was new.

;P on both accounts!

I had no idea the gun had been around for that long... surly our guns must have some differences then?

Although my SS isn’t quite as old as yours, I have found that its power is still very strong.

jchast
02-20-2004, 09:45
Head Shot

PlasticGuy
02-21-2004, 23:00
...I'm a lot more incensed at my neighbors who let their dogs bark at night than I am about a silent, slinky, harmless possum.
The last time I heard a dog barking at night, it was my dog waking me up to a couple of thugs trying to steal my truck a few days ago. Anyone who shoots my dog with a pellet gun is going to need their pellet gun surgically removed from their anus later that night.

And as far as the "harmless possum", I'm guessing that you've never seen a dog tangle with one. Those little buggers can be ferocious when cornered, and many dogs will corner them just due to their natural territorial and hunting instincts. A possum in the back yard is not to be taken lightly when pets are involved.

As for the original question, a pellet gun can kill a possum with a well placed shot. I'm not sure that it would do so reliably and cleanly though, as they are tough little beasts. I would leave it to animal control and save the pellet gun for starlings and crows.

WalterGA
02-21-2004, 23:33
Yeah, Ol' Pepper is on duty 24/7, and he barks, day and night, if he has a good reason. If he's just barking at another dog, etc., at night, I tell him to stop barking and he does. The neighbors who LET their mutts bark for hours at a time, just for the joy of barking, incense me. I haven't shot one yet, but won't say that I never will!

Bowser
02-23-2004, 03:54
I wouldn't worry too much about shot placement. In fact, it is often better to have a pest wander off and die a few days later, far away from your house.

Animals prefer to live longer and die later.

G22 Kid
02-23-2004, 12:44
Why has no one suggested a bow an arrow?

Much more powerful then any 'pellet gun'

course, maybe a little more spendy and harder to shoot.

What about those Aguila Colibri rounds?

Gadgetman
02-23-2004, 12:51
I've heard a baseball bat will kill a possum quickly, one well placed swat to the skull. Just don't swat it when it is within 10 feet or so of your house,expecially if you have white siding...;g

Gadgetman
02-23-2004, 12:59
I also know this guy that has a fancy RWS 3400 .177 at 1000fps. He told me that a pellet from that gun will go completely through a squirrel. He also said that he tried to take out a possum with that rifle, he said he shot it 20 times and the possum was still not dead. I told him about the bat.....

mrdoright04/05
02-23-2004, 15:11
GAMO SHADOW 1000 177cal pellet rifle great possum killer.

Cali-Glock
02-23-2004, 16:20
Originally posted by Bowser
I wouldn't worry too much about shot placement. In fact, it is often better to have a pest wander off and die a few days later, far away from your house.

Animals prefer to live longer and die later.

Just hope that you don't learn a week later that the 'possum actually lived in your attic or subarea!

PlasticGuy
02-23-2004, 23:12
Pest or not, I really don't think that intentionally allowing an animal to suffer for "a few days" is a good idea. It's kind of cruel, and is definitely unnecessary. Either kill it or don't, but don't just hurt it and figure that it will probably die eventually.

Bowser
02-24-2004, 02:01
Slaughter houses are some of the most cruel places on earth. I take it you don't eat meat.
Would you use poison on rats? If so, then you are a hypocrite.
If not, then you are a man of your word, and a macrobiotic vegan also.

Good man.

PlasticGuy
02-24-2004, 22:21
Slaughter houses are some of the most cruel places on earth. I take it you don't eat meat.
Would you use poison on rats? If so, then you are a hypocrite...
Sorry, I was not aware that they kill beef cattle slowly over the course of "a few days". Apparently my uncle (who raises beef cattle) hasn't heard that he is supposed to torture his cows to death either. I'll be sure to let him know the next time I talk to him. And I was also not aware that rats that ingest significant amounts of rat poison suffer gangrenous wounds for "a few days" before kicking the bucket. I'm no hypocrite -- I guess I'm just not as smart as you are. ;Q

fajizzle nizzle
02-25-2004, 02:44
A pellet gun will work on close range head shots. I know from experience. I've trapped them with ONE OF THESE (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=99595) and then disposed of them. Some were relocated, some were executed with a pellet in the ear at one inch. My dog has cornered a couple that I then finished off. On one I just used a piece of firewood, the other climbed into our recycle bin and got a pellet. Then there was the one that I tried to shew away, but he refused to leave the deck where my dog sleeps at night. I scooped him up with a fishing net and took him down to the yard where I bonked on the head.
FYI, if you trap them and transport them live, they will pee in the bed of your truck and it will stink like nothing you've smelled before.
As long as they use our firewood shed as a toilet I'll take 'em out when given the chance.

mrdoright04/05
02-25-2004, 08:16
I shot 2 possums last night with the Gamo Shadow 1000. Killed them in their tracks. 177cal moving @ 1000fps hit very hard and went through both critters. ;P

02-25-2004, 09:12
Originally posted by fajizzle nizzle

FYI, if you trap them and transport them live, they will pee in the bed of your truck and it will stink like nothing you've smelled before.

They will also "take a dump" in that trap;P , which is why I now recommend letting animal control take care of relocating a rogue possum.

Live and learn.;)

drstrangelove
02-25-2004, 13:31
1. Most hi-velocity pellet rifles are louder than a 22 shorts or CB caps. I'm not suggesting...just observing. Eyeball shots would be my preference.
2. A bow and arrow is a fine idea
3. A spear/lance would work well too
4. Pepper spray will pretty much ensure it won't be back willingly.
5. Poison its food may poison the dog. I don't like this option.
6. Lastly, but the very best option would be a tranquilizer dart from animal control.
7. If AC wouldn't do it for you, then a airgun pellet or dart laced with something...South American jungle tribesmen have been doing it with blowguns for years...again, just thinking aloud.

The one time this happened to me, I used a pocket knife ductaped to a 8 foot bamboo pole. Bleedin mess, but the spear worked. I did this (with a 9mm backup) since animal control does not dispatch at 1AM and maintaining silence was essential...it hissed but mostly this was a silent job.

G22 Kid
02-25-2004, 17:53
Bow and arrow is still my choice. But I have one and several arrows so it is not a problem!

mrdoright04/05
02-25-2004, 22:10
Just got another possum tonight. 1 shot 1 kill. Gamo Shadow 1000 rule!!

duncan
03-06-2004, 17:06
All this possum killin!

Last time I looked at them, they were slow mentally and physically and were good parents. Get hit by a car a lot wlaking along the middle of the road.

Why kill them?

Michigun
03-07-2004, 16:40
Originally posted by duncan
Why kill them?

It’s always good to keep egg stealing, diseased plagued, wild animals in check... especially the ones that tend not to get hunted as much because of their nocturnal status.

In Michigan you can hunt opossum all year long on private property.

PlasticGuy
03-08-2004, 21:55
Originally posted by duncan
Why kill them?
The same reason I kill every rattlesnake I see. Because 100 of them means less to me than the safety of my hunting dog (and friend). Dogs that get tangled with opossums do not get out of the action without a lot of stitches, at best. Plus I've heard that opossum tastes pretty good, although I've never tried.

And I was not aware that opossums were of great concern in Seattle anyway. Don't they sell opossum steaks at Pike Place? ;f

hardeyes
03-11-2004, 13:51
Hello,

Yes an 'adult air rifle' Will indeed kill possums, BUT you have to have the right amount of Ft lbs of energy. A rifle that produces at least 15 to 30 ft lbs should be about right.

Check out BSA, (super sport), Beeman (R9, R1, RX-2,) or Webley (tommahawk, longbow,) or even the Webley Patriot- which produces about 30 ft.lbs of energy at the muzzle.

These springers take some getting use to, but ALL are capable of producing 1 hole groups at 10yrds.

They also have PCP type air rifles that you must charge with air, which are just as accurate, and produce up to 70 ft.lbs (the Career) air rifle made by RWS, (Which also produces the 350Mag-springer).

Anyways look up those models and makes, use the right pellet Crosman Premiers, or JSB's and choose something in the .22cal and you will be fine.

Also search 'airgun forum' message board, they have lots of AG Hunters there, I'm going Air Rifle Hunting in Cali, for Jackrabbits in The next month...:cool: :cool: :cool:

hanguknamja
03-14-2004, 19:07
so many posts... good deal... but if u are serious in your ? there are a number of good posts.... they can really put a hurting on your dog, i've seen it done... and they have the capability of carrying disease. a pellet gun has killed many in my backyard, and i live in the city too, just make sure u bring your surefire, cause you cant see the sights! but a head shot, will kill them, and yes a bat will do the same thing...

MrGlock21
03-17-2004, 23:19
slingshot! But you wanna practise first

357glocker
03-18-2004, 11:03
A long time ago I hit a squirrel with a sling shot using lead fishing weights. I can still hear the sound of that projectile hitting that squirrel in the side of the head. He didn't even do a reaction quiver.

IXLR8ED
03-19-2004, 00:13
If anyone is still reading this thread.....

I have an old Crossman pump and it does a hell of a job on any possum if you get a clean head shot. 14 and still counting....

jlw_84
03-19-2004, 01:24
A long time ago I hit a squirrel with a sling shot using lead fishing weights. I can still hear the sound of that projectile hitting that squirrel in the side of the head. He didn't even do a reaction quiver.

~1

If your pellet gun dont work, flip it around, grab the barrel, and give it a couple good ones

Last Resort . . .
http://images.andale.com/f2/101/130/7402588/1005172913830_govinda_khukuri.JPG

Andy Holzrichte
03-21-2004, 19:15
Long barrelled bolt action 22 w/ Aguila SubSonic Sniper rounds. 60 grains subsonic w/ almost no noise. (It's only illegal if you get caught. ;) ) Don't try the Colibri/Super Colibri. My experience w/ a Racoon was that they bounce off at point blank range.

G22 Kid
03-21-2004, 20:58
JLW

mmmmm.... yummy....

04-01-2004, 10:00
to answer the original question
With a large possum and a rear shot, your chances of first shot success are limited.
Personally, and I have done this before, just walk up and stick it with a long knife. Possums arent known for being real quick. Just walk up, and insert it alongside his back bone, then twist the knife real fast, snapping the vertebrae. Its not hard to do at all.

04-01-2004, 10:04
You know, after going back and reading some of these replies, it makes me think of the time I shot an Armadillo with a 300 grain Hornady XTP .44 mag bullet at about 10 yards. There wasnt much left, thats for sure...

MikeG22
04-08-2004, 23:21
A 2 liter soda bottle taped onto a 22 rifle gives you one fairly quiet shot which would work well for a possum.

I shot one with a co2 pellet rifle that had a 10 round, semi-auto magazine. Just blasted it a bunch and it died nice and fast. Also, if you want more penatration there are pointed pellets you can buy that will take care of that. The stupid things used to get into my trash cans and knock em over and go thru the trash.

gh0st614
04-23-2004, 17:50
We had a possum digging up holes in our back yard so my dad had me shoot it from my bedroom window...after I gave him about 5 bbs in the face (was aiming for his eye and that didnt stop him) I grabbed the .22 and put him down. I had a animal graveyard when I was a kid. The Albino squirrel is the only one I cryed after.