Coffee - What are your preferences? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coffee - What are your preferences?

Short Cut
02-18-2004, 19:44
I'm serious about my coffee. Gotta have it everyday.

What kind of coffee do you like? How do you take it? Where do you get it? How do you brew it? What do you eat with it? Any secrets you want to share?

c-mama
02-18-2004, 21:04
I'm serious about my coffee as well, although, I don't take the time every morning to make it. I buy whole beans from Starbucks and grind what I need, when I need it. I use a french press which takes longer than a drip machine. That's the reason I don't make it every morning. I do drink mine with cream and sugar. I like it light and sweet. I can get by with just drinking the coffee - no pastries or anything with it.

I prefer to go to Starbucks for the White Chocolate Mocha or Carmel Macchiato and if I could afford it, I'd go every day. One of the Starbucks employees said to me right before my last boy was born that he was going to have the word Starbucks stamped on his head! ;a

I'm kind of wondering about the baby I'm carrying now, as well!;)

23skidoo
02-19-2004, 03:44
I like Jamacia Blue Mountain the best followed closely by just plain 100% Columbian coffee. I drink it strong and black. A good Cuban cigar just makes the experience that much more pleasurable.

Jeff

JaviFL
02-19-2004, 07:28
Puerto Rico Yauco beans, espresso ground, on my cheapo Krups espresso maker. That is on weekends. During the week, I'll drink whatver murky water I can get from the office coffee machines.

noway
02-19-2004, 09:12
Me, I got tired of grounding beans. So I buy expresso in a can. Medagalia Doro to be specific.

Gotta have my expresso.But I really like tea.

f1b32oPTic
02-19-2004, 09:30
i grind my beans every day and i make my coffee in a french press...im enjoying my 2nd cup right now

treadlightly
02-19-2004, 09:34
The best over the counter ground that I have found is Seaport, still roasted the old fashion way in a little building in Beaumont Texas. I got to tour the place and meet the master roaster. That place smelled incredible.

Mild Bill
02-19-2004, 18:23
When I have people over I make coffee like I'm cooking spaghetti sauce...
I'm a cooking fanatic and I like each cup to taste the same... Quality control...

I ask first if they mind some dairy and sweetness... If not they can have it their way, but so far that's never happened...
Most people just love a great cup of coffee...
I never make it too sweet...

I make a strong brew of something interesting in my french press, then I pour the concentrate into a large pot...
I add half and half, some Splenda or sugar, a coupla cinnamon sticks (sometimes), a touch of Kahlua (sometimes),
lil' cocoa (sometimes), extra hot water if necessary, lil' instant coffee to bring up the flavor if necessary...
(I LOVE Taster's Choice...)
Stir and taste... rinse spoon...
Lil' more half and half maybe... (that's what puts it over the top!)

When it's a pot of the best damn coffee you ever drank I serve it up!
This way there's usually some left for second cup requests...

Just wanted to share another way to do coffee...

;c

c-mama
02-19-2004, 18:29
Mmmm, Mild Bill,

That sounds delightful. Let's see, I'm a few hours away. Let me pack up the kids and I'll see ya soon!
;f

BSeevers
02-19-2004, 18:45
I like real Kona beans ground right then, bottled water, real half and half, real sugar.

Short Cut
02-20-2004, 03:53
What's a good brand of coffee press?

Here's a nice coffee grinder that I've been using. It's considerably larger than what I used previously, has variable grind adjustments and the chamber that holds the beans is airtight.

clic pic
http://www.braun.com/na/products/fooddrink/coffeetea/coffeemills/models/kmm30.ImageJPG.294.431.80.jpg (http://www.braun.com/na/products/fooddrink/coffeetea/coffeemills/models.html#)

Dragline
02-20-2004, 11:20
Starbucks Sumatra, 3 cups every day.

SanduneCC
02-20-2004, 13:01
Trader Joe's "Bay Blend".

Short Cut
02-20-2004, 15:43
The last few pounds of coffee I bought from a cigar retailer. So far so good. The beans are all whole and Arabica. Cost is $5.99 per pound which is cheaper than the local grocery store.

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=coffee_mayorga

I'm going to explore further the practice of buying my beans online, any suggestions?

gunsite
02-20-2004, 18:07
Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
i grind my beans every day and i make my coffee in a french press...im enjoying my 2nd cup right now i do the same thing, grind and press, the best! perk is 2nd best..lol

Vic303
02-20-2004, 18:28
Can no longer afford what I really like--Sumatran or Sulawesi whole bean. So I settle for cheap Folgers French Roast. It hasn't killed me yet. Usually for Xmas, I get a half pound or a pound of the good stuff...:)

f1b32oPTic
02-21-2004, 12:00
Originally posted by Short Cut
What's a good brand of coffee press?

get a good quality one...williams and sonoma will have really nice ones, bed bath and beyond has good ones too...

be prepared to spend about $40

totally worth it though, you can make a better cup of joe than starbucks all the time...the neighbors and guests will be impressed with the coffee...i just made me and my gf a cup and had one left over for my nextdoor neighbor...we just went to the grocery store and he said, " man i really feel that coffee!" thats what its all about anyways

c-mama
02-21-2004, 15:09
I agree that a good coffee press makes all the difference. I would make Folgers in a coffee press and people would just go on and on about how good the coffee was.

f1b32oPTic
02-22-2004, 13:17
yeah, i ran out of beans one day and borrowed a cup of folgers and ran it through the press, delicious....

MrsKitty
02-22-2004, 16:51
I am not a big coffee drinker, but when I want a cup, I go all out.

I only use a French Press. It takes a little bit of effort but it is well worth it!

I grind my beans fresh. I use flavored beans at times. Usually Death by Chocoalte or Amaretto Almond. Each will get a tad of Splenda and maybe a dash of heavy cream...or maybe not. Depends on my mood.

When I have a migraine, I surrond myself in peppermint which includes peppermint coffee which I stock up on at Christmas time. Sounds strange but it is pretty good;g

GlocknSpiehl
02-23-2004, 14:12
I have to admit that I am a bit of a coffee snob. :cool:

I can only have two cups of coffee per day (tho the Dr. did not say how large, LOL) so I want great quality. I love Sumatran coffee and it was always my favorite until I married my Brazilian wife...

And part of her family owns a coffee company...

And my wife's firm represents the Brazilian Gourmet coffee growers association in the US...

Nirvana! ;3

I live for the free samples! Best I have had, so far, is "Minas Estate Coffee Group: Gourmet." So smooth and silky it almost makes the Sumatran taste like instant. ;f

In her office, one of the coffee growers gave them a $5000 coffee/expresso/capuccino maker. ;a My favorite toy when I visit!

PS This year, if I am really good, I'll get to go to the gourmet food convention in NYC and/or Chicago. Can you say "free samples"?;)

saluki9
02-23-2004, 14:57
Trader Joe's "Bay Blend".

This is one of the best values in coffee. I drink this every day

General Sherman
02-23-2004, 14:59
OK, you have me convinced to look at a French Press.
My cafe is Cafe Rey, tipo Tarrazu de Costa Rica.

hidden_19
02-23-2004, 16:24
7-11 ;f

TheTam
02-28-2004, 17:10
We have a Capresso machine with a bean grinder on it, so I put in beans at night and set it up.

When I can afford it, Jamican Blue Mountain or Kona. Also when I can afford it, Raven's Brew coffees (http://ravensbrew.com) Right now, Whole Foods Market's Breakfast Blend beans. (Their Ethiopian Yergacheffe is also very, very good.)

With 1/2 and 1/2 and turbinado sugar. :)

kick_rocks
02-28-2004, 21:09
Boy do I feel naive. I buy whole beans, either from Pantry Shop, Hotjava Cafe, or Supermarket. But...what is this French press you speak of? I have never heard of it and I love love love coffee. Tell me about it and where I can buy it? How does it work? How does it make a difference? I am sincere....

Short Cut
02-29-2004, 10:35
Originally posted by kick_rocks
Boy do I feel naive. I buy whole beans, either from Pantry Shop, Hotjava Cafe, or Supermarket. But...what is this French press you speak of? I have never heard of it and I love love love coffee. Tell me about it and where I can buy it? How does it work? How does it make a difference? I am sincere....

Although I've seen a French press I'm not very familiar with them either so I did a Google on it and found a huge selection. Here's one source with a variety of models.

clic pic
http://store6.yimg.com/I/espressozone_1782_1929477 (http://www.espressozone.com/french-press-coffee-makers.html)