What 30-30 or 44mag load for hog? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What 30-30 or 44mag load for hog?

Grog
02-22-2004, 01:41
I friend wants to try hog hunting so i'm see if there are any loads to point him towards

Marlin 20" 30-30
Ruger 7.5" 44mag

Thanks I suggested he take his departments M-14 but i'm nutty like that. ;a ;a ;a ;a

noway
02-22-2004, 10:00
The 240 gr xtp has worked in the past for me, so that would be my best suggestion on a good load for a hog. Actually anything in a good hardcast or jacket hollow point would be okay for most hogs.

sorry can't help you on a 30-30

TJC
02-22-2004, 18:02
I've had good luck with 21.5 grns of W296 with a Hornady 265 grn. rifle bullet. Shot out of a Ruger SRH it works great on hogs.

As far as the tirty tirty, any good 170 grn load should work. I load a Hornady 170 grn with 32.0 grns of W748. I've never used it for hogs, but it is a very accurate and hard hitting load.

Dogbite
02-22-2004, 18:46
In the way of 44 magnum for hog,let me suggest one of the Garrett loads.I think this company is tops for hunting 44 mag ammo.

Alpha Male
02-23-2004, 07:52
All hogs are NOT created equal. This is especially evident on the pay per kill game ranches. Some offer pigs that more closely resemble domestic swine as opposed to the "poor man's grizzly" Russian strains. Some places offer porkers in the 300 lb. range, and some can put you on a pig that'll go 8 bigguns.

On the large Russians, a 240 JHP will often fail to penetrate the grisle shield which protects them from other boar's tusks. A "silhouette" type non-expanding bullet in the 300 gr. range is a better choice.

f1b32oPTic
02-24-2004, 09:38
agreed, the garrett 300 grain lead solids would be my .44mag choice

bachchoy
02-24-2004, 10:02
;c

Steve Moses
03-01-2004, 13:06
.30-30 with 150 or 170-grain bullets will kill them dead with proper shot placement.

IMO, proper target areas are as follows:
1. Head shot from side between eye and ear.
2. Neck shot from side. A hit to the center of the neck knocks them down, and they will bleed out in a couple of minutes. A high neck shot can break the spine and drop them faster than a bad habit.
3. Middle shoulder shot from the side will take out the lungs and perhaps the heart. That 150 or 170-grain bullet will go right through the gristle plate on a big boar.

Try to avoid shooting them behind the shoulder like you would a deer. There is almost nothing back there but guts! My limited experience with shooting pigs is that most bullets don't exit, and even when they do, the pigs don't leave much of a blood trail.

noway
03-01-2004, 13:58
{ There is almost nothing back there but guts! My limited experience with shooting pigs is that most bullets don't exit, and even when they do, the pigs don't leave much of a blood trail.}

I have to disgree in that my limited experience using 357mag/10mm//44mag, that all of them (bullets) fully exit the hogs and most where a full side to side broadside shot. I will agreed that they don't leave that much blood and most of the time the exit wound kinda seals it's self limiting the blood lost and fur coat does a good job soaking up any fluid.

The good thing none of the hogs I've shoot really ran any distance to warrant any tracking.
;f

Steve Moses
03-01-2004, 15:24
Noway-

If you re-read my post, you will see that my reference was to .30-30 rounds. These rounds tend to expand quite violently, and as a result often don't exit. Hardcast pistol rounds and relatively high-velocity softpoint rifle rounds are designed to perform differently. I shot a 200+ pound sow in the neck last week with a 7mm-08 Core-Lokt without hitting bone, and the bullet did not exit.

We shoot pigs on the edge of heavy timber at night. They only have to go 10 yards or so to disappear from sight. To that end, we like to anchor them in place if possible.

Where are you hunting pigs? I am going to Bosque County, Texas, and hunting them on the edge of open fields surrounded by live oaks and cedar.

Steve Moses

noway
03-02-2004, 00:36
My bad ( didn't catch the 30-30 issues ) but with that said;

I know of 2 people who swear on the 30-30 in a win 94 model, they have no problems taking down hogs with a light 150gr SNJHP ( IIRC ) hardcast. They too, also fully exit typical 100-200lb hogs located in these parts.

{Where are you hunting pigs?}

Public land and thru guide services in south and central fl. I'm actually going this weekend hog hunting.

Steve Moses
03-02-2004, 13:31
Noway-

Good luck this weekend. I have really developed an interest in hunting those things. It gets my heart going!

Steve Moses