fly fishing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing

jchast
02-23-2004, 10:15
This year, I want to learn how to fly fish! I just thought Id share that. Anyone have any good resources?

02-24-2004, 08:55
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0028629531/qid=1077633996/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-0136327-7947801?v=glance&s=books

It has a 5 star review!

jchast
02-24-2004, 10:02
I picked it up.... for $12 you can't really beat it.

Thanks!

02-24-2004, 12:21
I hate the title, but they are actually a pretty good line of books.

Have fun with it.

hispeedlodrag
02-24-2004, 14:12
http://flyshop.com/
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Edge
02-25-2004, 22:16
Have someone who is an experienced fly fisherman give you pointers for a while. After getting my fly fishing outfit, I alternated between whacking the ground behind me and the water in front. After about five minutes with a brother in law who grew up fly fishing in Colorado, I was amazed at how well someone could actually cast one and how much I could improve in just a short time.

jchast
02-27-2004, 07:40
Originally posted by Edge
Have someone who is an experienced fly fisherman give you pointers for a while. After getting my fly fishing outfit, I alternated between whacking the ground behind me and the water in front. After about five minutes with a brother in law who grew up fly fishing in Colorado, I was amazed at how well someone could actually cast one and how much I could improve in just a short time.

The only problem is, I don't know anyone who does it :(

I gotta learn on me own.

Esox357
02-27-2004, 10:14
If you ever make it to Nebraska, email me. If not I would buy a combo from Cabelas for under a 100 dollars. Get a "graphite" rod probably a 8 1/2 to 9 foot rod is sufficient and match the weight of the rod to reel weight (the rod will specify what type of weight). Use a weight forward line, customer service rep can help you with outfitting you, be assured that you don't need to spend a lot of money for beginning. I bought me a St Johns combo from Cabelas years ago and use it for all my fishing, panfish to Northern pike. I bought the outfit for 90.00 dollars at the time. I don't think they sell them but have seen similar outfits. After you get the gear you need to learn how to cast. Casting is the most difficult but can easily be taught by someone who is experinced. You don't need to learn all the fancy casts like a double haul or roll casting. You use your wrist for the movement and not your arm, you stop the rod when directly 90 degrees and then cast forward. It is much easier to see than write about. Remember to let the rod do the work! Anyhow start off inexpensive and work your way up. If you have any questions or get stuck post again, hopefully this will get you started in the right direction. Take Care Esox357

02-27-2004, 11:46
Originally posted by jchast
The only problem is, I don't know anyone who does it :(

I gotta learn on me own.

Gar, I did that, too. [I] had a fool for both teacher & student ;f

Seriously, though, try here (http://www.uky.edu/~agrdanny/flyfish/main.htm) I used to be on this list when I first started, and they were a lot of help. You may even find someone close by to help you out.

Steve

jchast
03-01-2004, 08:53
You guys are great!! Thanks for all the info!! :)

Yamdog
03-01-2004, 16:35
A lot of times your local fly shop has lessons as well and if they are like the ones around here all the employees are very helpful. You might want to try a couple of video tapes as I think it may be more helpful to see it than just read it. Mel Krieger has made some good tapes on casting.

lethal tupperwa
03-01-2004, 16:57
Think about standing in a doorway and using a double faced hammer to hit both sides of it-in front and in back of you.

It makes it easier to get the 10 and 2.

one of the things is to load the rod with the weight of the line as you lift it off the grass in front of you. The easiest way is to look behind you each time you lift the rod backwards. You want to see the line stretch out behind you.
If it cracks like a whip you are not letting the line straighten out.

To make it easier to learn the feel of the rod loading-choke up on the rod let the end of the handle rest near your elbow. this lets your wrist work like it should.

It is not hard and is fun.

when you get around to hooking a fish grasp the line to the rod and lift the whole rod. You move a lot more line this way rather than setting like you would do with a spinning rod.

Try a garden hackle-a piece of worm in a small hook, try for bluegill they are easy.

When you feel that fish on the rod you will understand: and will also be hooked.

jchast
03-02-2004, 12:36
Awesome information! I have taken it all down. Thanks guys so much!

;c ;c

Anyone for some beer battered fish? :)

Bob F
03-11-2004, 22:00
Where in West PA? Might try the Gander Mountain Store in Washington, PA. ("Little Washington" we usta call it.) I taught myself, sorta. Practiced casting, went to a little trout stream here in southern WV, all i could do was feed a little line out under the trees. Had fun though and caught 1 nice rainbow and lost another. I was hooked!
Have Fun.
Bob

Esox357
03-14-2004, 12:19
FYI, Just went to Cabelas in Kansas City, they are offering a combo called the Sweetwater, I bought one in 8'6 with a 6 weight line. This will make a great panfish/trout rod. I picked up the combo with an upgraded reel for 118.00, tax included. This included, reel, case, rod, and a flyfishing DVD. They also have them in a 5 weight which isn't a bad choice either. Esox357

bambihunter
04-07-2004, 03:50
To teach me to use mostly my wrist when casting, my grandfather made me hold the Sunday paper under my arm while practicing. While it isn't the exact motion, it sure broke me of large arm swings I normally associate with casting.