Real German Potato Salad (served warm) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Real German Potato Salad (served warm)

GlocknSpiehl
02-23-2004, 14:56
Ok, this is Mom's recipe, brought from Der Heimat. She got it from her Grandma, etc. It is labor intensive. I can only give approximate measurements on some ingredients because none of us really measure things, they are done to taste and smell... LOL

Also, I really do not know how to make small quantities of this. The least I make is five pounds...

Ingredients:

5 lbs small, firm red potatos (can sub Yukon Gold, but I think they are too mushy)
1 lb good smoked bacon, diced (can be 1.5 lbs.)
1 - 2 medium white onions, diced
1 bottle Apple Cider Vineger
1 beef bullion cube disolved in 0.5 cup boiling water
4 - 6 hard boiled eggs, cooled, peeled and sliced (optional)
Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground Black pepper
Large (12" or more) frying pan
Large (3 gal or more) pot
Large colander to drain potatos
Slotted spoon
Large ovenproof serving dish
Large Mixing bowl

1. You can make this dish with potatos peeled or unpeeled.
2. Wash potatos and place in large pot and cover with water. Cover, place and stove and bring to a boil. Preheat oven to 200 F.
3. Boil potatos until a fork can be inserted somewhat easily. Do NOT overcook or you will have mashed potatos. Potatos should be slightly UNDERcooked.
4. Put potatos in colander to drain away hot water. Now is when you would peel them, if desired. Do not let them cool off, they must remain fairly hot.
5. While potatos are boiling, place diced bacon in frying pan and cook until almost crisp. They should still be tender and a little "chewy". Use slotted spoon to remove them from pan and set aside in a bowl.
6. Remove about 50% of bacon fat and reserve. Place pan back on heat and add onion.
7. Cook until onion is glassy, then add back 75% of the bacon and all the boullion. Reduce heat to simmer.
8. Add about 1 or so cups of the cider vineger, 2 teaspoons salt and Black pepper to taste and simmer for a few minutes until flavors are well combined, stirring occasionally.
9. While this is simmering, peel (or not) potatos and slice into approximately 0.25" thick slices. Much thinner will fall apart, much thicker will not absorb flavor well.
10. In large mixing bowl place a layer of your sliced potatos and then put over a couple tablespoons of the onion/bacon mix and lightly toss. Repeat, building up layers. If you are running low on the mix, add more vineger and remaining bacon grease, simmer and then continue building and tossing. Taste it every so often to adjust salt/pepper and quantity of "dressing".
11. If you like the hard boiled eggs, you can toss them in near the end or use them as garnish on the top or both.
12. After mixing, place in ovenproof serving dish and garnish with remaining bacon. COver with lid or foil and place in prewarmed oven. Taste again after about 30 mins to see if you need to add more vineger.

I prefer mine to be very moist, but not sodden with the vineger/bacon/onion mix. You can adjust all of that to taste, I am kinda winging the measurements a little as I do it all by "eye". After you have put it in the oven you have to keep it covered to keep it from drying out too much. If you made it too wet tho, just leave it uncovered.

Also, this salad tastes best after it has had time to set and absorb the flavors. It will really taste much better about and hour after you put it in the oven. You can also microwave the leftovers the following day.

If the bacon/onion/vineger is a little too strong for you, you can put in a tablespoon or two of sugar to cut it. You have to do this before you start the layering process. ;)

hidden_19
02-23-2004, 16:23
this is very good with yager-schnitzzel(sp) ;c

nickg
02-24-2004, 09:36
UGH -- i do NOT like german potato salad sam i am!!

mudfootball
02-27-2004, 20:09
the recipe looks damn near perfect. Put this side by side with ordinary potato salad and at the end of the night the ordinary is going in the trash. Makes me miss my grandmother just thinking about it.
kt

leadbutt
02-28-2004, 03:10
Heck, after reading this I'm going to the Beer Garden in Portsmouth for lunch;f

CaptDoug04
02-28-2004, 22:43
If I wasn't still stuffed full of wings, I would be seriously honked off at you right now!!!;f

GlocknSpiehl
03-01-2004, 14:22
What's really bad is I am doing Atkins right now and can't even enjoy it myself. ;P