Tarpon fishing pictures [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon fishing pictures

Elk-ruser
02-25-2004, 13:07
Hi All,
A shameless post to show the biggest fish I ever caught.
I got the opportunity to go to the Florida Keys last spring and this is the result.
My wife had caught a 100lb Tarpon earlier in the day and when we went back later in the afternoon, I got this guy. We measured it and calculated it to be 180 to 190 lbs.

The details:
17lb test line...if it was 16, would have been some kind of record according to the bait shop owner.
live crab
58 minutes fight
Near Little Torch Key

(yeah, that's me with the goofy grin on his face.)
I'll post a few more pic's.
Enjoy,
Erik

Elk-ruser
02-25-2004, 13:08
another

mhambi
02-25-2004, 13:10
Cool!!!

Elk-ruser
02-25-2004, 13:11
OK, something wierd going on. I posted 4 pics as replies to my first but only 1 more showed.

Elk-ruser
02-25-2004, 13:13
try this one again

gatorfish
02-26-2004, 12:18
Great fish! Something every outdoorsman should do in there life is catch a big ****.

One thing though, poons that big shoulnt be taken out of the water. it can cause some serious damage. all messurement can be taken in water. I know it wasnt you, but the guide. he should know better.

Great Fish.

Elk-ruser
02-26-2004, 13:07
Hi Gator,
Yeah, It was my fault. :( (that's me mad at myself)I wanted a litle better pic.
That's something I learned after the fact and will do that different next time. The other dude is actually my Dad and we were going at them alone, no guides. So, other than that, I think we were pretty darn lucky.
Neither of us had ever caught anything that big before so maybe in the excitement, common sense of the fish's well being were not in full effect. We did ensure that he swam away strong and healthy though.

Another reason not to lift them out of the water during that time of year.....it was a male and he spooged all over me when I went to lift him out of the boat and back into the water....eeewwwwwwwwww.( I got the back half) I removed my shorts and shirt and had to scrub them right there.

Thanks,
Erik

gatorfish
02-27-2004, 13:57
Originally posted by Elk-ruser
Hi Gator,
Yeah, It was my fault. :( (that's me mad at myself)I wanted a litle better pic.
That's something I learned after the fact and will do that different next time. The other dude is actually my Dad and we were going at them alone, no guides. So, other than that, I think we were pretty darn lucky.

everyone does it so dont be hard on yourself. glad you know now.

Let me get this straight...you come down from colorado, go tarpon fishing without a guide and just a little experience (I assume), hook AND land a 150LB+ tarpon?!!!! You should NEVER go fishing again cause you used up ALL your luck.

Great Job!

Dogbite
02-27-2004, 19:56
Nice fish!!! I want to catch one myself..

nyredneck
02-27-2004, 21:04
You Sir, are an ASS!!:( I was supossed to catch that fish!;g Great fish, and if You couldn't tell, I'm a wee bit jealous!;f

Elk-ruser
03-01-2004, 07:46
Gator- that about sums it up. Except for the big fish experience...I grew up on Long Island catching Stripers, Bluefish, Sharks, and the occassional 'ray. And, we did alot of homework before we went down there.

So, you thinking about 150 lbs? We didn't really get solid measurements, just estimates. It was every bit of 150 and quite frankly, I really don't think it was 190. When the local bait shop owner saw the pics, he said 180 easy. Still a big fish tho'.

Thanks All,
Erik

gatorfish
03-03-2004, 09:10
its hard ot tell from the pics bc I cnt see the length but judging from the head and shoulders I would say around 150-165lb.

what were your measurements?

Elk-ruser
03-03-2004, 12:03
Hi Gator,
The length was definately 6 feet. We measured the boat where he laid later. The girth was a guess after both my Dad and I cradled hime in our arms to flip him back in the water. I don't remember the number we estimated, but the equation we used was in a book. I think the book was Tarpon on a Fly or something like that.

And, I'm sure (wink, wink) that theres no way we could have overestimated the girth.....ya know, with the excitement and all.

Since then I have seen a fishing show where they said they had a 200lbr on deck and boy, mine wasn't all that much smaller. A bit skinnier, but not alot.

Hell, even 165 is fine with me.

I'm gettin all excited again thinking about it.

If your ever heading to CO, lemme know. I'd be happy to show you some pretty large Rainbows and Browns.

THANKS Gator!
Take care,
Erik

gatorfish
03-04-2004, 11:38
at 6ft and 165lbs, the girth would be almost 43in. While that would be a fat fish its well within the proportional limits.

I would reliably say its 160-165. Which is an outstanding fish.

My goal for this season which is just beginning is to land a 100+ on fly. Something I have never done.

Congrats again and thanks for the offer!

BTW, here is my other hangout FloridaSportsman (http://floridasportsman.com/) Plently of info for you next trip!