What is happening to our forum? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is happening to our forum?

Texas T
02-27-2004, 14:30
We started off with a bang, and now it looks like we're going to end with not even a whimper. Very few new threads, very few responses to existing threads. Guess there wasn't as much demand here as we initially thought?

Timotheous46
02-27-2004, 16:10
Well, I've been enjoying this forum.

I tend to lurk rather than chat, but if you can handle random babbling, I promise to annoy you all with more of my poor typing.

All ready Iíve gained insight on sailplanes from this forum and will be adding that experience to my logbook. Iím even considering selling my C-182 and getting a self-launching sailplane. Iím still in the research phase of that endeavor.

There are probably many who do not fly who may be enticed to give it a try by visiting this forum.

Tim

NCSteve
02-27-2004, 18:36
Thumbs up from this lurker too -- I only discovered this part of GT a few weeks ago, but I've been here since. I'm just a student pilot, so I haven't really had anything to contribute yet, but I have enjoyed reading many of the threads here.

I hope this forum really takes off! (so to speak)

Texas T
02-27-2004, 19:37
Originally posted by NCSteve
I'm just a student pilot, so I haven't really had anything to contribute yet, Sure you have. There are lots of things you could talk about; why you decided to take up flying, where you intend to go with your lessons (career/pleasure/business), how you chose your CFI, what your experiences have been so far, what is more difficult than you expected, what is easier than you expected, what you would like help/advice on, what you are looking forward to, what you are not looking forward to, what you are flying, how much it is costing you, etc, etc, etc.

Remember, even though you are just a student there are others lurking out there that haven't even taken that step yet, and perhaps the words you write will put another student pilot in the air one of these days.

M2 Carbine
02-27-2004, 21:03
You are right T.
We have almost come to a stop.

I started to post more in
There I was, in the fog, inverted, at night...........
but I noticed it's been a couple months.
I'll get on the ball. I know I've got many more dumb things I've done and lived to tell about it.:)

I got some news on the last fatality at work.
I'll go post it in
There I was, in the fog, inverted, at night...........
While I'm thinking of it.

BillCola
02-27-2004, 21:40
I'm guilty of non-contribution as well, sorry.

I have a good excuse, I went out and bought this...

http://authorized.net/download/GT/plane.jpghttp://authorized.net/download/GT/panel.jpg

...and I can't seem to put it down. I haven't posted much anywhere for a while. Shame on all of you for not noticing!!

Surely it will add to my war stories over time.

37glocker
02-27-2004, 21:52
that 196 is great isnt it? i recently put one in a supercub. its everything you could ask for in a portable.

BillCola
02-27-2004, 22:00
Originally posted by 37glocker
that 196 is great isnt it? i recently put one in a supercub. its everything you could ask for in a portable.

It's unbelievable to me...if you'd have described it to me 20 years ago, I'd have had you committed against your will! ;f

It provides a great warm fuzzy against vacuum or electrical failures in IMC, I'll tell ya. I use it in the car all the time too.

M2 Carbine
02-27-2004, 22:03
Beautiful Bill, just beautiful.

It makes me want to get current again.:)

I've noticed you have been missing.
I started to ask where you were when I saw your post the last day or so.

Tell us about your bird.

BillCola
02-27-2004, 22:27
I've noticed you have been missing.

Thanks!! Now I'm happy again!! :) :)

She is a 1965 Cessna 182H, which first flew out of Wichita as I was going for my type rating on a tricycle in Kindergarten...(that just blows me away)

I bought it from a senior AA Captain who had to shed toys after the big pay cut. I'm certainly not happy about his loss, but I was priveledged to purchase the ship from a very, very pro guy. We still keep in touch. It's got 4300TT and 900SMOH.

The Captain owned it for a couple of years, and the previous before that owned it for many, right here in CA. Both pissed HUGE dollars into her over the last few years. Every fiber in the interior is new, the paint is 8-ish, although a dated scheme.

I did a major avionics upgrade right after I bought it, centered around the (now) Garmin CNX-80 (http://www.garminat.com/cnx80_gen.shtml). She's got an S-TEC autopilot w/alt hold. Coming from the (semi) old-school, the setup blows me away. Hands-off, she'll fly a detailed flight plan, execute a procedure turn and IAP, shoot the missed and hold. Well not exacly hands off, I have to manhandle it vertically... still amazing.

Anyway, the engine uses a quart in 25 hours, has solid comps, no leaks, and just might make it to TBO and beyond. (I know I shouldn't have said that dammit.)

I recently had my super-nit-pickety shop give it a thourogh annual $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and now it's getting one of it's famous, crappy fuel cells replaced$$$$$$$$. I'm not too thrilled that I can't fly it tomorrow and Sunday, now that the relentless storms have abated.

It costs me about 4 times more than I had budgeted for it (so far), but I'm glad I had my blinders on (they've served me well, in gereral :) )

I fargged up my life by dropping out of school, and not going for a civil/military flying career, and now I'm 43 and could drop dead at any time, so what the hell.

I'm having a blast with it...thanks for asking. :) :) :)

Texas T
02-27-2004, 22:53
Originally posted by BillCola
and now I'm 43 and could drop dead at any time, so what the hell. Same age as my boss in the "Look what my boss just bought" thread. He sold his 182 to get the Cirrus; he'd had it for about 10 years and was based out of Half Moon Bay (I think) when he was still living in CA.

You got yourself a nice money hole there, Bill. Enjoy it. :)

M2 Carbine
02-27-2004, 22:55
Like I said BEAUTIFUL.

That's a machine to be proud of.

"She is a 1965 Cessna 182H, which first flew out of Wichita as I was going for my type rating on a tricycle in Kindergarten...(that just blows me away)"~1

I once told my wife I know I'm getting old.
The helicopters I learned to fly in are all in museums.;f

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p4a62c5f15ceb9f2ec9aa2f8a16b36d8b/fad24af8.jpg

Bullman
02-28-2004, 07:54
Unfortunately, I am not a pilot, just a poor wannabe, so unless we talk about fun flight sims or movies, I don't have a whole lot to add. I still enjoy all the stories, and I try to stop in pretty regular. I bought the Battle of Britain the other day at Walmart on DVD and am doing my best to wear it out.... "You can TEACH.... Monkeys, to fly better than that"

Then, after watching the movie 10 times or so, I had to load up MS Combat Flight Simlator and fly the Battle of Britain some. If I ever win the lotto, there will be a Hurricane or Spitfire in my future, maybe both.

I will try to do my part and post more.

M2 Carbine
02-28-2004, 08:20
Bullman,

I fly RC airplanes, helicopters and boats.

Learning to fly RC was almost as hard as learning to fly full size airplanes.

I like the planes of the Battle of Britian.

I've got a nice Spitfire RC kit that one day I might get around to building.
The wingspan is 81 inches.
I have a gas engine for it and it will have retractable landing gear, etc.

I plan on modeling it after a BoB ace.:)

I wish they would make a new Red Baron flight sim.
Many times I'de play Red Baron Two half way through the night.
With what they can do with the sims now they could make the WW1 planes very realistic.:cool:

Bullman
02-28-2004, 08:40
I had one of the el cheapo RC Cessna 172 styrofoam planes when I was a kid and did little more than learn 100 ways to crash it. I would like to get into that but it would be one more expensive hobby.

That time in aviation history has always faacinated me. I love that movie, the flights sims, I read all I can about it. I need to pick up the book that the screen play was adapted from. I believe it is named "The Narrow Margin" according to the credits.

When I was a kid, I bought a leather flying helmet with the goggles and the whole nine yards. I have that helmet still, it is here in my office as I type this. The kids my age in my hometown thought I was a nut, maybe I was. Combat Flight Simulator 1 does have a sopwith camel that you can fly, but I would like to see some WW1 flight sims too. It would be interesting to "fly" some of those older planes.

Superfueler
02-28-2004, 10:57
Awesome looking 182!

I haven't been posting that much either, so I'll give a run down on where I am in my training. I've done about 7 lessons now for my multi commercial insturment, and its going pretty good. I did my first ILS approach in a long time yesterday, with lots of low level bumps and a healthy crosswind, and it actually came out pretty good. I've been getting the hang of the single engine stuff, but boy does my leg get tired after a while. I can't wait till I get to do an ILS with only one running...... ;P

NCSteve
02-29-2004, 14:29
Originally posted by Texas T
Sure you have. There are lots of things you could talk about; why you decided to take up flying, where you intend to go with your lessons (career/pleasure/business), how you chose your CFI, what your experiences have been so far, what is more difficult than you expected, what is easier than you expected, what you would like help/advice on, what you are looking forward to, what you are not looking forward to, what you are flying, how much it is costing you, etc, etc, etc.

Remember, even though you are just a student there are others lurking out there that haven't even taken that step yet, and perhaps the words you write will put another student pilot in the air one of these days.

Thanks Tex. I'll definitely try to contribute here whenever I can. As to why I got into flying. Well, what I really wanted to do was sky dive, but my wife woudln't let me, so I went with the next best thing. ;)

Actually, while the above is part of the reason, the main reason I got into it was that I discovered that I actually could. I always loved airplanes as a kid (mainly fighter jets:)), but I had always heard/believed that I couldn't be a pilot because of my eyesight. I'm farsighted and also have a lazy eye that means I have poor depth perception. I don't remember how, but at some point, I discovered that while I could not be an airline pilot, I was perfectly able to be a private pilot. Once I found that out, I could not wait to start my flying lessons.

In fact, I was a bit too eager to get started: I started my training with the very first CFI I found (simply doing a google search for training in my area), without doing any research at all. This was a big mistake as I wound up training at the worst training facility in my area (the planes these guys fly are very poorly maintained) and with the worst CFI they had (though he fancied himself to be the "chief flight instructor") -- this guy would forget what we had/had not covered, he would be late or not show up at all for lessons, and when flying he would berate me for not doing something correctly (you know, sort of the CFI equivalent of the computer geek who thinks you're stupid if you don't know as much about computers as he does). Needless to say, I didn't spend long training with this guy. Unfortunately, while I was wise enough to get a new CFI, I still hadn't wised up enough to do any kind of research, and continued flying at the same place, just with a different CFI. Compared to the first CFI, the new instructor was great. I trained with him until I solo'd. But, by that time I had learned enough about the planes we were flying to not feel comfortable flying them anymore and decided to look for a new place. This was back in Aug. of 2001.

Then, a variety of things -- 9/11, the tech bubble bursting (I work for a small silicon valley company), the hassle of finding a new place to train and my unwillingness to repeat the mistakes I made the first time in finding a CFI -- all contributed to me taking a break from my flight training for a couple of years. However, just a few weeks ago, with a recommendation from a pilot friend of mine for a good place to train (if only I'd known this guy back to '01), I've resumed my training with a place & CFI that, so far, I am very happy with. My goal is to wrap up my private pilot license by the end of spring (finally:)).

As for my goals in flying: just the joy of it mainly. I'm really looking forward to taking my family and friends up. And when he's old enough, I think it'll be a great father-son thing to do with my son (he's 3 now). Someday I'd also like to try flying ultralights (including powered parachutes -- that looks soo cool!). I doubt I'll ever do anything commercially, though there is a small part of me that thinks I'd like to be a part-time CFI someday.

Cheers,
Steve