Pozole y menudo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pozole y menudo

specop
02-27-2004, 15:05
After a good day at the range, I pack my Glocks and head out to parts of L.A known for good pozole and menudo. There are so many places I can't list them all so if you're interested in a spot, you can e-mail me.

For those of you not familiar with these Mexcian culinary fares, Pozole is a soup that can either be red or clear. The red uses the color from chile and it's not spicy; just adds color. The broth can be made from chicken broth or pork/beeth broth. The soup has cubes of slow boiled pork so tender that it'll melt in your mouth. In addition, pozole contains hominy grains. The pork combined with the native corn flavor of hominy, enriches the rustic mestizo history of this wonderful soup. In addition, you get a plate of freshly chopped onions, cilandro, dried oregano, shredded cabbage, lime, and hot dried chili (spicy). YOu merely add whatever condiments you need into your soup to satiate your taste.

Menudo is similar but instead of pork cubes, it contains slowly cooked tripe. It can be clear (menudo blanco) or red (menudo rojo). Very good and hearty meal. The condiments are the same as in pozole. Menudo is fantastic for fixing you up after a heavy night of drinking. It works great as a hangover cure...just have a glass of beer with tapatio hot sauce, lime and clamato juice (eat the hair of the dog that bit you) and a nice hot bowl of menudo.

You can't go wrong.

fnfalman
02-27-2004, 16:58
Menudo is better than posole.

chevrofreak
02-27-2004, 18:07
My mom made some posole a few weeks ago. Bleh :( I dont like hominy

Penman
02-27-2004, 18:52
Menudo is a classic hangover cure. I like a big bowl of red menudo, with lemon juice, chopped onions, and cilantro. Side of tortillas...

noway
02-28-2004, 01:27
I love menudo and I agrred is is more tasty than Pozole. Different areas in mexico and the borders towns do unique things to the menudo which make sit very interesting.

{ Menudo is a classic hangover cure }

I have to disagreed,the last time I was in Nuevo laredo,a friend of mine tryed eating a bowl of menudo after a all nighter of DOSX and Tequila and he threw up most of his food and then some. Not a pretty sight:(

Mild Bill
02-28-2004, 12:08
I make a killer Menudo every few months...
I took a foto...

I'm happy to see so many Menudo luvas out there...
Damn, I love that stuff!

Next time I'll take a less blurry picture...
My camera wanted to focus on the mortar and pestle...

;c

Penman
02-28-2004, 12:26
[{ Menudo is a classic hangover cure }

I have to disagreed,the last time I was in Nuevo laredo,a friend of mine tryed eating a bowl of menudo after a all nighter of DOSX and Tequila and he threw up most of his food and then some. Not a pretty sight:( [/B]

Sounds like he may have been beyond all remedies, save moderation...

fnfalman
02-28-2004, 13:35
The best menudo/posole are the ones made with pig feet/ham hock. It brings out a flavor that regular menudo or posole don't have.

The New Mexican menudo has both the guts and the pork. It seems like the Mexican menudo only has the guts. But there is this grandma who made menudo New Mexican-style with the guts and the pig feet...mama mia...heaven!!! Throw in some cilantro, diced onions, and a liberal helping of red chile. Ooooh yeah.