Any Texas G/T'rs interested in hunting hogs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Texas G/T'rs interested in hunting hogs

Steve Moses
03-01-2004, 13:30
There is a ranch in Bosque County (100 miles SW of Dallas) that is offering a limited number of guided hog hunts for $200. I have details on the hunts, and can attest that this place has plenty of pigs. If you don't have a rifle available, they will rent you a bolt-action 7mm-08 for $25 that has already accounted for the demise of several of the hairy beasts.

Steve Moses

Sixgun_Symphony
03-01-2004, 23:59
Do they have a website?

Steve Moses
03-02-2004, 08:17
Not yet. The owner just bought the ranch last year and is in the process of getting things up and going. He is trying to develop a strong deer program (there are tons of deer out there), and the hogs are just delighted with all the corn, oats and deer pellets. I try to keep plenty of wild pork in the freezer myself, and can forward you a photo of a nice sow I shot a couple of weeks ago. For the record, I have guided hunters into pigs every single time I took someone out.

If you are interested in going, we can get there a couple of hours early and spend some time doing plastic worm fishing on his private pond. It is all catch and release, but it is full of three pound black bass.

Steve Moses

Roger C
03-03-2004, 15:56
I wish you were closer, Steve, that sounds like a good deal!

hcook
03-04-2004, 11:18
Is that $200 a flat fee?

Is that per hunter or per party?

Are there any other fees, eg trophy, guide, processing, etc?

Is that a one hog deal or is it shoot as many as you can take home?

Steve Moses
03-04-2004, 15:56
$200 is a flat fee per hunter. We will guide you in, field dress the hog, and even take the pig to the processor located in nearby Meridian if you want us to. This fee covers one pig of any size, and additional pigs are $50. As this is a guided hunt, I really can't handle more than 2 hunters at a time and be assured of delivering a quality hunt, so 2 hunters is the maximum.

Steve Moses

The Triangle-D Ranch: Bringing good people and wild hogs together.

MrGlock21
03-06-2004, 14:43
Steve,
does this offer last for another 2 weeks? I'm living in Tarrant county which is not far away from that place. And as soon as my brand new rifle is broken in I'd love to come for a hunt.

Sixgun_Symphony
03-06-2004, 16:04
I would like to go but I am still in college and it will be a year before I can do any traveling.

I would really like to use my .50 caliber Hawken rifle for a wild boar hunt, would you post back in a year?

duncan
03-06-2004, 17:00
Dang man!

I would love to! But my travel will be taking me to LA, San Fran, and Las Vegas. Not Dallas.

My new job has been kicking my butt. Zero time at the range, no time to shoot.

But that would be awesome since so much land is off limits in that arae.

Steve Moses
03-08-2004, 08:12
MrGlock21:

No problem. Just give me a call. I set the hunts up around the moon cycle in order to maximize our opportunity to get into them.
I am taking a hunter out tomorrow night, and will post the results of the hunt later in the week. Should be perfect conditions, almost a full moon, clear skies, light wind from the North, hungry pigs, full deer feeders.

Steve Moses

Mwinter
03-08-2004, 15:07
Steve,
I'm interested and I'll pass it around the PD when I get back to work (Ft Worth suburb).
I had 29 hrs OT on the last check, so days off are scarce....but a hog hunt would do my soul good, and I have a rifle I'd love to try out on a TX porker.
I'll be in touch when the new schedule comes out.
MW

PS out of curiousity, is the terrain etc. good for humane pistol hunting? I have a 9x25 Dillon barrel coming in for my G20 next month.

Steve Moses
03-08-2004, 21:12
Mwinter:

Shooting them with a pistol is going to be tough. Figure a 75-100 yard shot during the daylight hours, and 25-40 yard shot at night. Their kill zone is relatively small, and they are constantly moving around and changing angles. Their sense of smell is incredibly acute,and hunting them can be pretty challenging (and very satisfying).

What department are you with? I live in Grapevine, and am a reserve deputy at the Tarrant County Constable Office Pct. 3.

Steve Moses

Mwinter
03-08-2004, 22:35
Yep, that's too far for me to hunt with my pistol in good conscience. The TX hogs I've killed in the past went down pretty easy, but I've always used a .30-06 or 12ga slug.

I'll probably be using either my 12ga work gun (M590A1GRS) or my Ruger .44Mag bolt action if I make it out there.

I work in Azle, TX, just NW of Ft Worth.

Steve Moses
03-09-2004, 07:45
Mwinter-

I have been lusting after one of those .44 bolt guns myself.

We don't hunt these pigs from blinds, but stalk them instead. With four feeders out there, our hunters' chances of getting a shot increase dramatically if we work all four feeders instead of waiting for them at one. It makes the shots a little harder, especially at night, but I find the whole experience a little more exciting.

It has been my experience that pigs go down quick with a good hit, too. A gut-shot pig (and they are almost all guts behind the shoulder) will often result in them diving into the brush that skirts the feeders where they are hard as heck to find.

Steve Moses

Mwinter
03-09-2004, 15:24
Ah, an enlightened soul :)

Hunt or not, Steve I'll hook up with you sometime here locally and let you wring out the 44 bolt.
When I was contemplating a move to Wisconsin, I set out to find a durable lightweight 'just-enough' woods gun for general hunting and black bear. Growing up on a bolt (03-A3) I didn't care for levers, and wanted just a tad more accuracy than a pump 12ga.

That little Ruger 77/44KRS is the proverbial cat's tail. With a loaded 4rd mag and another in a Blackhawk stock pouch, it's lighter than my target 10/22. The bolt is a short throw/short travel, so repeat shots are quick enough.
With 300gr XTPs (a hog load in 44 if there ever was one), it does thump a bit. With .44sp GoldDots, it's still 100yd accurate and feels like a .22LR. I'm thrilled to hear that it's a ground stalk/hunt, as I regard shooting from tree stands to be more like "waiting" than hunting.

Completely off-topic, I know you do some work at Rangemaster, etc. I used to work in Shelby County; now that I'm here in TX, do you do any TCLEOSE-certified schools? Our dept is looking at some shotgun instructor and other courses to send me and some other folks to.

Steve Moses
03-10-2004, 08:28
Mwinter:

We can do a TCLEOSE-certified shotgun instructor course. I would teach that jointly with another deputy named Hany Mahmoud.

I am very anxious to get my hands on your 77/44. That sounds like such a cool gun, and it would be perfect for the kind of hunting I do.

Back on topic:

We guided a hunter last night into about 25 pigs just before dark. I moved the hunter into position about 80 yards distant behind a cedar clump so that he could take a shot with his .270. Hunters always want to shoot pigs with bows and pistols, but we aren't hunting them from stands, nor are we hunting them with dogs, and shooting a slowly moving pig in low light can be challenging. A scoped rifle is almost mandatory. He shot, the pigs ran, but no pigs went down. I asked him if he was confident of his shot, and he said he was. I went down to where he said the pig was that he shot at (I had no idea as to which one he was shooting at) and looked for evidence that he had hit it. There was none. I moved about 20 feet to the north and found some blood that trailed off into some very heavy cover, and it was dark by now. Oh, well, unlimbered the Glock 17 and the Surefire and went tracking. Pigs don't bleed like deer, and the trail was pretty faint, a few drops here and a few drops there. Finally found her about 75 yards in where she had piled up on a dry creek bed. He had aimed for her neck and hit her about 12 inches behind the shoulder. I think he clipped her liver, or we would have never found her. She was almost pure razorback and fully mature, probably about 200 pounds. She was sure hard to get out of that brush! She will most likely produce about 80 pounds of the best-eating ham, pork chops, ribs, and sausage you will ever taste!

Steve Moses

Steve Moses
03-22-2004, 10:13
We will probably do one more hunt this spring. We took a local gentlemen and his thirteen-year old son hunting Friday night. Our guide got them within about 50 yards of a group of pigs after dark, and the young man took a black, 175-pound Russian-type boar with a .30-30. Needless to say, father and son were pretty happy.

For some reason, the ranch tends to have a pretty high percentage of the Russian-type hogs, as opposed to the more obvious feral type. The Russians look much more menacing and are typically smaller, with a really big boar weighing 250-275 pounds. The ferals have more domestic blood in them and will get bigger, but have shorter heads, shorter coats, and a variety of colorations, including orange pigs with black spots.

Steve Moses

Steve Moses
04-09-2004, 06:59
I talked to the owner of the ranch, and we will do two more hunts this spring if anybody is interested. As MrGlock21 can attest, there are plenty of hogs out there, including some monsters that I had never seen before.

If you have never done it before, hunting hogs at night is no slam dunk. IMO, it is best done with a scoped deer rifle, although a cool hunter with a scoped AR-15 can do just fine. This is hunting, not shooting, and you can be proud of yourself when you bag one.

In addition, we are going to offer a "Doe Day" at the ranch next fall to four hunters. Cost is $150 for one doe, which includes a morning and evening hunt and access to the fishing lake during the day, which contains plenty of 3-4 pound black bass (catch and release). The hunt will take place during the late season after the tender vegetation is reduced and during a favorable moon cycle. If you fail to see a doe from your blind during the hunt, we will permit you to come out again for no cost.

Steve Moses
steve.moses@grandenergy.com

MrGlock21
04-09-2004, 12:36
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Moses
[B] As MrGlock21 can attest, there are plenty of hogs out there, including some monsters that I had never seen before.

yep, Steve, that was exciting,I had a good time on the ranch. I spotted two huge pigs but I missed. There is still a lot of ham out in the woods. Later, with more patience and stalking involved, I shot a little one from a 70yrs range. The 150gr CoreLokt hit the head. I used my multi-purpose Steyr ProHunter Mountain in .308win, the Kahles Helia CB was cranked up 6x.

MG21

Steve Moses
06-01-2004, 14:22
The Triangle-D Ranch is going to conduct a few more spring hunts if anyone is interested.

On May 28, I took my 23-year old daughter who lives in Phoenix hunting. She has never hunted, and never even shot a rifle before. I showed her how to shoot a pistol when she was 15, but she has not picked up any kind of gun since.

I spent less than an hour with her on the range about 3:00 that day, mostly dry-fire. I had her fire 6 rounds total at an 8" target from 75 yards. The last one was fired after we executed a practice stalk (I wanted her to understand the difference when shooting from the field).

At 8:00 that night, we started the feeder circuit. At the first feeder, I spotted about nine hogs. We stalked up to within 50 yards, got her into position, and set up for the shot. She was cool as a cucumber, and waited for five freaking minutes before she pulled the trigger. I was very pleased, and somewhat amazed, to see a 90 pound sow go down with a perfect shoulder shot. If I can figure out how to post a photo of the end result, I will shortly. She used a Rock River Arms Tactical Entry carbine with an Aimppoint and Black Hills 77-grain target ammo. Lungs were just shredded.

The ranch foreman guided two more hunters the next night. They accounted for two sows weighing 90 and 225 pounds.

All in all, a very successful weekend. There is no shortage of porkers this spring!

Steve Moses

Mwinter
06-01-2004, 15:33
Steve,
*in theory* I have a 3-day-off string coming up next Tues-Wed-Thurs(provided myLt. doesn't sabotage the schedule again)....
if you like, I can meet you at a range here in Fort Worth and loan you the 44Mag Ruger bolt gun we'd discussed previously.

Steve Moses
06-02-2004, 06:33
Mwinter-

Thanks for your kind offer. My schedule next week has me out of town a great deal, so I am respectfully requesting a rain check. I will try to get with you later.

Steve

Mwinter
06-02-2004, 09:17
no worries; we'll get around to it eventually. Heck *I* haven't shot the danged thing in almost a year; seems like almost every range day for me is qualifying or training with my 'work' guns.
have a good trip.

Roger C
06-03-2004, 13:01
What kind of hogs are you finding there, Steve? Are they Russians, or feral pigs, mixed, etc.?

I'm too far away to come down for a hunt, just curious. Sounds like a good place to be, though!

Steve Moses
06-03-2004, 13:17
Roger C-

All the pigs that I have personally shot looked pretty much Russian. All the dominant boars I have seen out there are very Russian looking. The mixed pigs are in the minority, although the one that my daughter shot was most certainly one. Check out the following thread on Texasboars.com for a pic of both my eldest and her first kill.

http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3699

I know what you are thinking.............that is one good looking rifle!

Steve Moses

Walter45Auto
06-05-2004, 13:25
Originally posted by Steve Moses
There is a ranch in Bosque County (100 miles SW of Dallas) that is offering a limited number of guided hog hunts for $200. I have details on the hunts, and can attest that this place has plenty of pigs. If you don't have a rifle available, they will rent you a bolt-action 7mm-08 for $25 that has already accounted for the demise of several of the hairy beasts.

Steve Moses

Heck yeah I'd be interested!!!! ABSOLUTELY!!! Just 100 Mi SW of Dallas?!?!?! WOW!!! Do they offer any kind of group discount??? And where can I get more info???? Is it strictly rifle only, or can I bring my BFR and my 12 ga. slug gun???

;g

Steve Moses
06-05-2004, 21:40
Walter45auto-

Sorry, no group discounts because we don't take groups. We can handle a pair of hunters. You get a guide who will take you on stalks, which maximizes the chances that you will get a shot at a pig. We can probably get you within 40 yards of one at night, which is well within slug range if you have a dedicated slug gun properly set up for deer hunting. Iron sights are a liability once the light gets low. Late afternoon shots might be taken as far away as 100 yards. If for some reason we can't get you into a postion where you can take a decent shot, we will take you again for free.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does BFR mean? Also, if you want more specific details, just give me a call.

Steve Moses

Roger C
06-08-2004, 09:57
Roger C-

All the pigs that I have personally shot looked pretty much Russian. All the dominant boars I have seen out there are very Russian looking. The mixed pigs are in the minority, although the one that my daughter shot was most certainly one. Check out the following thread on Texasboars.com for a pic of both my eldest and her first kill.

Steve Moses

Uh, yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.... ;)
That smile on her face looks genuine, she must have had a good time with her Dad out there -- good job!

Are you still hunting them this time of year, or taking a break until Fall?

Steve Moses
06-08-2004, 19:18
Roger C-

We have so many of them that the owner has opted to go ahead and hunt though the summer.

Steve Moses

Walter45Auto
06-09-2004, 12:24
Appreciate the info Steve. And BFR stands for Biggest Finest Revolver. (I'll post a link below.) It's a single action revolver chambered for .410/.45 Colt, .444 Marlin, .45-70, .30-30, and a few other calibers.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/bfr_specs.asp

;g

GlockLieber
07-11-2004, 12:41
I shot a nice hog last night at this ranch. We estimated the hog to be in the 200-215 range. The experience was everything Steve described. I got to stalk on foot and sit on feeders. I finally picked one out at night and took a 50yd shot. The guide field dressed it and took it to the processor for me. I felt a little spoiled as I didn't have to do any of the dirty work. I highly recommend this hunt, especially for the low fees right now.

Steve Moses
07-11-2004, 15:05
Glocklieber:

I am so glad you had a good hunt. That is a nice-sized pig, perfect for the freezer.
Thanks for the kind words, and congratulations! Pig hunting is big fun!

Steve Moses

Steve Moses
07-29-2004, 08:31
Last hunt results:

Took a fellow deputy constable hunting on July 27. Weather conditions were good with a very light south wind and slight overcast, and the moon was fairly high in the sky well before dark. Perfect!

We parked my truck about 100 yards from the first set of feeders right at dusk. I immediately spotted pigs, and got my friend out of the truck. My eyes are trained to see them, but he had a hard time seeing them himself. We approached within 60-70 yards, set up, and I had him take the shot. It was dark at this time, and I had him shoot by moonlight only. He shot, and I asked him if he felt good about the shot. He said he did, but by this time it was so dark that we could not see if there was a pig down. We got in my truck, and drove around the field to the feeder. About 25 yards out I spotted the still body of a nice 100-pound Russian sow. She was gorgeous, very dark and classic long head, erect ears, and long straight tail. My friend used a Steyr .308 carbine with a Mannlicher stock and 1.5 X 6 Bushnell Elite 4200 scope, and put a Winchester Ballistic Silvertip through the top of the lungs and the spine.

The pig was the first big game he had ever taken, and to say that he was pleased would be an understatement.

Later that night, I took an 150-pound sow with an Aimpoint sighted Colt AR-15A3. Not only did I want to see to see what the new Federal TRU .223 55-grain BTJHP ammo would do, but we actually need to reduce the hog population on the ranch.

Like I said in a previous post, the ranch owner will be conducting guided hunts until the start of deer season. The ranch is beautiful, the opportunity to get a shot at a pig is excellent, and the hunts themselves are challenging. There is a difference between shooting pigs and hunting pigs, and we are hunting them.

Call for more details.

Steve Moses

Ray Crum
07-30-2004, 23:40
I am looking forward to our hunt on the 24th.

the 45-70 pistol will drive nails at 50 yards but the Browning Boss is what I'll use----I want you to run a couple of Cor-bons thru the wrist wrecker tho------

Ray

Steve Moses
07-31-2004, 07:57
Ray-

I will try anything once! I have always heard that shooting Cor-Bons through a Marlin Guide Gun was no fun, so this ought to be a real joy!

Seriously, the date you chose should be great. The moon cycle is perfect, and the hogs will have been left alone for at least a week before.

I have seen you run a handgun, and am quite confident that all I need to do is introduce you to a pig!

Steve Moses

ALLAN
08-05-2004, 20:21
What size round would be best for the hogs??
I usually hunt with a Remmy .243, but also have a 7x57 Mauser that I sometimes use.

Steve Moses
08-06-2004, 06:58
Given a choice between a .243 and a 7x57......I would choose to shoot whichever rifle I liked the best!

Most of the pigs weigh between 100 and 250 pounds. We have got a monster boar working the area that probably weighs 300-350 pounds. If you can make a neck shot inside of 100 yards, a .223 with 64 to 77 grain bullets will take anything out there.

With shoulder shots, the .243 will work on those pigs up to 250 pounds. I am not sure about a shoulder shot with the .243 on the really big hawgs, and would probably use the 7x57 given a chance.

Having said that, I shoot standing pigs in the neck regardless of size and caliber.

Steve Moses

ALLAN
08-06-2004, 23:43
Well my other choices are my SKS or a 12 gauge with slugs. I will try to contact ya'll soon via phone and set something up.
thanks for the help

Knifedaddy
08-10-2004, 10:29
Walter45auto-

We can probably get you within 40 yards of one at night, which is well within slug range if you have a dedicated slug gun properly set up for deer hunting. Can we pack a sidearm for backup? :cool:

Steve Moses
08-10-2004, 10:40
The question was: can we pack a sidearm for backup?

The answer is: I would expect no less from any member of Glock Talk. To be truthful, a service pistol is not much in terms of backup when it comes to dealing with piggies. However, I would hate to run into a two-legged predator anywhere and not have some means of making my point that I want to be be left alone.

Steve Moses

Knifedaddy
08-10-2004, 10:49
The question was: can we pack a sidearm for backup?

The answer is: I would expect no less from any member of Glock Talk. To be truthful, a service pistol is not much in terms of backup when it comes to dealing with piggies. However, I would hate to run into a two-legged predator anywhere and not have some means of making my point that I want to be be left alone.
I understand, and doubt it would be used. But on the off chance that a boar that was fired upon attacked, would opening up on it with a G19 at least drive it away?

Steve Moses
08-10-2004, 12:37
We won't be in that position due to the terrain on the ranch. I don't know if it would turn them or not, but would not bet on it. Their physical construction and profile when facing forward makes getting a telling hit on one with a 9mm problematic. Hog hunting in Bosque County will tax your ability to make a hit on a slowly moving pig at a distance of 40-100 yards, dependent upon light conditions. It is harder than it sounds. If a pig is wounded and goes into heavy cover, I will try to ferret it out with a 12-gauge stoked with slugs. You would accompany me in case I need you to take a shot that is outside of my range. I hate to do this because it means that we did not achieve a quick, clean kill, but it is rather exciting. Pigs often don't bleed much, so tracking them is a bit of work.

Steve Moses

Ray Crum
08-25-2004, 00:39
I just got in from a hawg hunt with Steve. The ranch is really nice----we visited one feeder thsat was empty----went to another and watched four does feeding. They suddenly left---I am not sure if they were spooked by us or the arriving herd of pigs-----there were a number of really nice sows and I shot one from around 60 yds. I'm going to guess she was about 175 lbs. and in peak condition---lean like a wild pig but fat like a corn fed wild pig--about 1/2 in of fat in the belly----just right.

There was a big boar with them that will make somebody a real nice trophy.

The shot distances I saw were not too difficult but not "sitting in a blind gimmies" either. We stalked the sow and harvested her fair and square.

Steve is a great guide and a pleasure to hunt with. Thanks for a great evening Steve-----Ray Crum

Steve Moses
08-25-2004, 06:25
We had a good time, didn't we, Ray?

Good shooting, too. You put that round right where I asked you. That pig was just gorgeous (you have to be a pig hunter to know what I mean!).

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,

Steve

Ray Crum
08-25-2004, 09:38
A pig hunter----or another pig maybe----------------seriously I have shot a number of hogs and never seen animals that were this perfectly contitioned.

Thanks again

Ray

We had a good time, didn't we, Ray?

Good shooting, too. You put that round right where I asked you. That pig was just gorgeous (you have to be a pig hunter to know what I mean!).

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,

Steve

Ray Crum
09-10-2004, 18:16
An update on the sow---------I got her from the plant and she was processed and frozen. LOTS of pork and I have never eaten better pig. sausage is great too.

Ray

AggiePhil
01-09-2005, 16:20
Check out the following thread on Texasboars.com for a pic of both my eldest and her first kill.

Steve Moses
Link doesn't work anymore. :-(

Steve Moses
01-09-2005, 17:01
No it does not, but plenty of pigs still exist out at the ranch!

AggiePhil
01-09-2005, 17:30
Let's see some pictures!! ;f

Steve Moses
01-09-2005, 19:20
Oh. man, I am not good at posting them. Let me see what I can do...

Steve Moses

ALLAN
01-10-2005, 18:32
Originally posted by AggiePhil
Link doesn't work anymore. :-(

Some PETA types hacked the site and all the old threads were lost.:soap:

dnuggett
01-30-2011, 21:53
I know this thread is extremely old, but I am bumping it up on the off chance that this ranch is still open and allowing hunts. Steve, I sent you a PM. Google tells me the owner died in 06....