Question on Surf Fishing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on Surf Fishing

LandShark
03-02-2004, 21:30
I am on the East Coast and can be anywhere from South Carolina up to New Jersey (Im Military). I am kind of new to Surf Fishing. Just bought a Okuma 10'w/ a bait runner on the reel. What do you recomend for bait or lures? Thanks for your posts.;c

03-03-2004, 04:20
Of, course it depends on the time of year, water temp, and what you are fishing for. But I love surf fishing. And most of the time its fun just to catch something. You can't go wrong with a bottom rig, with the appropriate sinkers for conditions. And then some squid or bloodworms, then cut up some of your catch when you run out. When the bluefish run or if you are going from a pier its a different story. Have fun and get some sand spikes and set up multiple poles and back your truck up for a seat in the bed. Man I can't wait till summer.

KB4IFS
03-03-2004, 06:41
May be too late for the Outer Banks, but in Oct it rips! The barrier island juts out into the Atlantic along fish migration routes. Try the state park for camping.

Elk-ruser
03-03-2004, 09:28
We always had good luck with the large Kastmasters and the like. Always good to have a few of those on hand. Also, some surface plugs are just a kick in the butt when hit by a fish. Stop in the local shop or chat with somebody else fishing in the area and I'm sure youll pick up some hints as well.

Enjoy.

Man, I miss the ocean. But Colorado aint to shabby either.

Erik

noway
03-03-2004, 09:48
i think you first have to ask "what are you fishing for?" The answer to that question would then solve you're problem.

I fish inshore from the surf but my rod and lure selection varies to what species of fish I'm trying for ( i.e snapper,trout,snook,red drum,etc....)

gatorfish
03-04-2004, 13:22
Originally posted by Elk-ruser Stop in the local shop or chat with somebody else fishing in the area and I'm sure youll pick up some hints as well.[/B]

great advise.

a spoon and various jigs are classic go-to lures and work well in the surf.

tree house
03-04-2004, 19:21
I'd suggest you get yourself a big spinning reel to go with that rod. You can get a 50-series Okuma for under $50. Put 20lb. braided (powerpro) line on it and you'll cast like a champ and never have to worry about having your line break on a big fish. I can't cast worth a **** with a conventional reel.

Best bet you'll have is in the spring and the fall for the stripers and the blues running up and down the coast. check with local bait shops where you are to get a feel for when they are in the area. Generally April/May and Oct/Nov (I'm in NJ). Will be later or earlier depending on how far North or South you are.

Blues and stripers love clams, bunker, mackeral, or squid fished off the bottom with a 2' float. Or any loud surface plug or shiny spoon will work if they are feeding. Advice: look for the birds feeding and fish when the tides are changing.

Summer and winter kind of suck in my experience with mostly garbage fish (sandsharks, croakers, rays, etc). You can get some good Fluke/Flounder action in the summer bottom fishing in the shallows off the beach with flounder rigs but they're not too much fun. Good eating though.

Good luck, have fun.

Just keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn brother.

hanguknamja
03-14-2004, 19:09
here you go bud...

www.pierandsurf.com

www.avalonpier.com

www.reddrumtackle.com

all you'll ever wanna kno

lethal tupperwa
03-15-2004, 16:02
There is nothing that swims including people that won't bite softshell Crab. Use 1 claw, or 1/4 of a body per hook so you get a few baits from each crab. Some times you can get dead softshells from the seafood section of the grocery store.

If you use a spinning rod use 10lb line, then tie a double section about ten feet long. Use a spyder hitch.

Tie a piece of 40 lb test line for a leader to this. Use a blood knot. Make this as long enough so that It will wrap 4 times around the reel and then reach up the rod and down to the sand.

Put a swivel on this to make changing your terminal rig easy.

This will let you cast much farther and when you get the fish to the sand you will be on 40 lb test.

If you use squid peel it and cut a forked tail in the strip.

I find that frozen squid at the grocery store is often cheaper than at the bait store.