45 GAP suitable for Wild Boar? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 45 GAP suitable for Wild Boar?

batakgt
03-02-2004, 20:42
Is the round and gun suitable for hunting wild boar....any adivce/experience?

engineer151515
03-02-2004, 21:24
No experience but my first answer would be ... if you're satisified with 45ACP in the application, then 45GAP = OK

Alpha Male
03-03-2004, 07:30
"45 GAP suitable for Wild Boar ?"

No.

Then again, you and I may have a difference of opinion with regard for the term suitable. True story. A man named Rich went boar hunting with friends in eastern Tennessee. Rich, the consumate Bwana, has brought with him a custom long bow. He's also carrying a 1911 with hardball 'just incase'.

Well, just in case came to fruition. The hog took 6 hits into the head and shoulders at contact distance. It was eventually dispatched with a 12 gauge slug. Rich spent 4 weeks in the hospital with a rare swine induced infection usually only seen in third world countries. The number of stitches eacapes me, however it was substantial I assure you.

Steve Moses
03-03-2004, 08:53
I would avoid using it.

Wild animals have feelings, too!

To that end, a responsible hunter owes it to the game he hunts to have the means of taking it humanely, and the chances of doing just that are greatly reduced if one uses a typical service semi-automatic pistol. Pigs are tough, their kill zones aren't that big, and they tend to move around a lot. I know that someone knows someone whose cousin's neighbor killed one with a .22, but those incidents are rare exceptions.

I have only wounded a couple of animals that I failed to track down and dispatch, and those memories still bug me.

Steve Moses

Roger C
03-03-2004, 14:53
No, 45GAP and/or ACP is not a hunting round. Wild boar (assuming Russians or Russian hybrid, not the domestic-feral pigs) are TOUGH! A 10mm or .44 mag would be a good starting place. Mine (see my other thread below) took two hits with a 12ga slug. I've personally witnessed a boar take 7 (yes 7) hits from a bow by an experienced hunter.

noway
03-03-2004, 15:15
speaking of 45acp, I whent on a hog hunt a few years back and the gentlemen with me try his luck out on a 1911 w/6" bbl ( not sure of the brand ) and his 185gr Goldensaber did not expand, & he empty the mag into a good size sow from about 10yrds away.

When the skinner skinned the beast, he actually gave the guy his bullets back.

Now the only 45 caliber that I would use would be from a gun firing a 45super in a 200gr hardcast bullet

just my 0.02

TJC
03-04-2004, 17:50
I don't think the .45 Gaston is good for anything!

spetsnaz777
03-04-2004, 19:08
My advice is to get a G20 for any kind of hunting application.

duncan
03-06-2004, 16:02
Originally posted by Roger C
No, 45GAP and/or ACP is not a hunting round. Wild boar (assuming Russians or Russian hybrid, not the domestic-feral pigs) are TOUGH! A 10mm or .44 mag would be a good starting place. Mine (see my other thread below) took two hits with a 12ga slug. I've personally witnessed a boar take 7 (yes 7) hits from a bow by an experienced hunter.

Amen.

44 mag or better yet, a 1.5 ounce rifled slug from a shotgun is what the doctor ordered!

Their skin is plated and the hair offers some penetration barrier as well.

duncan
03-06-2004, 16:03
Originally posted by spetsnaz777
My advice is to get a G20 for any kind of hunting application.

Amen but only for a 150 pounder or under.

MrGlock21
03-06-2004, 16:17
NO!

it's irresponsible. How likely is it that you hit the brain or spine??
You wanna kill not hurt.

hot 10mm is the border line, even better 44mag and honestly make sure you are an experienced handgunner

;m

Sixgun_Symphony
03-06-2004, 22:51
If you want to use a .45 caliber handgun, then start with a revolver chambered in .45 Colt using 255gr hard cast bullets and work up from there.

I think you would do better to use a .454 Casull for the bigger hogs.

spongeman66
03-23-2004, 10:57
I wouldn't do it, but I did witness my hunting buddy take a ~200 lb sow with 230 grain Hydrashocks launched from a Sig P220. It was a night time hunt, so the pigs were pretty close. He made an INCREDIBLE shot! The pig was running perpendicular to us 25-35 yards away. There were 2 bullets in the vitals, and one that grazed both front legs. One of the 3 shots split the heart in half, and she dropped on the spot.

As for ME, it was my first hunt. I didn't have a flashlight on my .30-06. I took one shot at the other pig that came up using the light from his flashlight. I didn't know where to place the shot, so I shot for 'Center of Mass'. My pig ran off and we never did find it...I regret that shot to this day.

Shot placement is key!!!

My pig guns (now) are an AR-15 in 458 Socom with tactical light, and a G20 with 6" barrel, Wilson Night eyes and tactical light. (See my Avatar)

If you are Planning to hunt, then take the best equipment you can afford. If you can only afford ONE gun, then 45ACP/GAP should be limited to the distance you can place 3-5 shots in 4" or so, under stress...

Have fun!
Sponge

MrMurphy
03-23-2004, 13:34
Several guys i know use:

1 has a G20 10mm or a Raging Bull .454, as well as a shotgun with slugs.

The other used a .44 Mag till one didn't quite stop until hit by a .30-30, now he uses a .30-30 or his shotgun with slugs.

Friend of mine who has a whole herd on his land (89 acres) uses a single-shot Ruger .45-70 backed up by his .45, and once backed up by me with my .45 and 12ga full of slugs (though we didn't find any pigs that day). His sister was out backing him up once with a 12ga, and when confronted by a pig at close range, tripped and dropped the shotgun, but got her Bersa .380 out and hit the pig five times with Golden Sabers. It dropped in it's tracks.

Small calibers may work but she nearly got run over. She knows she should have had a better grip on the 12ga. She got lucky.

bambihunter
04-07-2004, 03:38
A buddy of mine borrowed my Glock 20 using 180 grain Hydroshocks. I don't recall the weights, but most of the hogs fell with a single head shot or lung shot. He said the biggest one fell in its tracks. However, one of the smaller ones was hit 5 times before it fell.

I'm a major fan of the 10mm and use it for all my defense roles (CCW and home defense) as well as deer hunting, but for BIG hogs I think it might be marginal. The .45's are less powerful than the 10mm so I would sure use premium ammo if you decide to.

If I were carrying it, I wouldn't be a bit worried that a full high-cap mag wouldn't stop it if I did my part...

Michigun
04-07-2004, 06:04
Are pigs REALLY that much harder to kill then big whitetails? (I’ve never hunted pigs before, so it’s an honest question… are their vitals harder to penetrate/get to then the whitetails?) I ask, because I stood 3 feet away from a good friend of mine when he took a REAL big Michigan doe with my Colt 1991A1 loaded with cheap .45acp PMC Star-Fire ammo. Fired 1 round from about 15 yards striking the doe behind the shoulder… double lung. Went in with a small hole & came out with a REALLY big one! That doe dropped instantly… I’d expect the same from the 45GAP in that same situation.

Roger C
04-07-2004, 14:56
Originally posted by Michigun
Are pigs REALLY that much harder to kill then big whitetails?

Yes, a world of difference. Russian boar have a heavy coat of hair, then a slightly thicker hide than whitetail, but then they have a very heavy layer of fat over their muscle. Bone like iron plate. And then they have that lovely attitude about the whole thing that just keeps them going when they've been hit - whereas whitetail tend to drop if your not chasing them.

Steve Moses
04-07-2004, 15:09
Not all wild pigs have the heavy coat. The feral hogs tend to have less hair. Lung shot pigs and lung shot deer often run off a ways before expiring. Pigs lungs are mostly covered by the shoulders. A pig shot just behind the shoulder is mostly gut shot. Pigs shot in the neck with deer caliber rounds tend to drop like a bad habit. If I could get close enough to a pig (15 yards maximum) to shoot him about one inch behind and one inch below the eye from the side, I would use a 10mm. Otherwise, I would stick with nothing less than a .44 magnum, and would prefer a deer rifle instead. That same shot with a .223 and 60-64 jsps will work, too.

Steve Moses

noway
04-07-2004, 15:18
agreed, and the fact that they run mighty quick and can escape into brush thicker than "Maple Syrup on a Cold wintery Michigan" day and are much harder to track if you don't anchor'em down right where you hit them.

Their blood trail can also be much harder to track since their big thick coats bleed out less blood than a typical deer and then factor in the blood is soaked up by their coats and less particules are shaken off when running away, can make it very challenging in tracking and recovering a hog, and specially in low light.

So yes a 45gap might kill one but other calibers that are proven to stop hogs with one shots and drop them in their place are much better. Best so far for me has been a 4" bbl 44mag pushing a 240XTP at above 1400fps and it pretty much knocks them silly, some folks like a 300grainer but the 240 gr XTPs has been good. My 10mm has been doing a good job also, using the 200gr Bear Tooth Buller or just recently a 220gr Double Tap.

duncan
04-07-2004, 23:32
Originally posted by batakgt
Is the round and gun suitable for hunting wild boar....any adivce/experience?

No. Only suitable Glock would be a Glock 20 in 10mm with a 6: hunting barrel and some serious handloads or premium flatpoints for penetrating.

Now that 45 GAP is probably okay for Texas Javelina's and such but not a 200-500 pound hog. You'll need surgery for your missing parts with that GAP in your hand ;u

spongeman66
04-08-2004, 07:37
YES they ARE harder to kill than a Deer! MOSTLY because Deer hunters shoot them in the WRONG place....

Here (http://www.texasboars.com/article.html) is a pretty informative site about hunting hogs in TX. It has lots of great information. Look closely at the 'Kill' Zone picture. You want to shoot from the shoulder FORWARD. Not Behind the shoulder.

Stay Safe!
Sponge

arnold ziffle
04-08-2004, 11:54
no. and neither is the 10mm. the 180s in the 10 and the 185 +p 45 are ballistically the same. the 185 +p almost killed the 10mm.id say 41 mag minimum.