Your favorite flying? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite flying?

40Cal
03-02-2004, 23:08
Seems everyone has a certain flavor or flying they love the most. What's yours?

Mine's a toss-up between:
a nice flight for the $100 hamburger
breaking out 20 feet above DH on an ILS in IMC

Timotheous46
03-03-2004, 05:41
Itís got to be taking up a young potential pilot up for the first time.

To be honest, flying has lost some of its edge for me. I personally find flying to be about equivalent to driving a nice car. Itís still nice, but not as fun as it used to be.

Taking up youngíns brings back some of the fun for me and reminds me of why I started in the first place. One of my favorite memories was when I was taking up large group of pre-teens that had won flights as a reward for Bible memorization from Vacation Bible School. I was encouraging a young man next to me to try flying the C-172. He was a bit reluctant until I mentioned that Barbie had flown the plane in the previous flight. He looked at me and said, ďa GIRL flew this?Ē He grabbed the controls and flew the plane. He now owns his own plane and takes his children flying.

Tim

sushi600
03-03-2004, 06:29
Would have to be maneuvers during training. Makes me feel like I'm actually "doing" something.

hapuna
03-03-2004, 07:45
Flying a Float Plane!!

Skyhook
03-03-2004, 12:03
Two of the best: 1) Aerobatic maneuvers in the RV-4 and the Pitts, 2) Flying through the beautiful Northeastern mountains with the bride on the intercom commenting on the beauty of it all.

For X-country flying I am kinda partial to the Cheyenne at 23000'.

BillCola
03-03-2004, 19:27
Originally posted by 40Cal
Mine's a toss-up between:
a nice flight for the $100 hamburger
breaking out 20 feet above DH on an ILS in IMC

Copy all that... :)

Wulfenite
03-03-2004, 21:29
Scenic country side, interesting light and clouds, and a low work load x-country so you can soak it in.

jhiller
03-04-2004, 05:31
FL 37 leaning back in first class onboard a 757 with a glass of red wine in my hand loooking out the window !
Life is perfect and I'm on a magic carpet with someone else driving
Jim

Skyhook
03-04-2004, 06:42
No fair, jhiller, you're just riding, not flying.

Actually, had I not thought out the subtle difference, I would probably have posted something similar.:cool:

40Cal
03-04-2004, 10:19
Originally posted by jhiller
FL 37 leaning back in first class onboard a 757 with a glass of red wine in my hand loooking out the window !
Life is perfect and I'm on a magic carpet with someone else driving
Jim

I'd like to see a 757 blasting through the sky at 3,700 feet!

40Cal
03-04-2004, 11:54
;P

M2 Carbine
03-04-2004, 12:30
Your favorite flying?

Flying the last 500 feet landing a helicopter that's been flashing caution lights and making weird noises for 30 minutes.;f

Really, my favorite but most dreaded flights were getting men to the hospital fast, that had been badly hurt offshore.
I hated those flights but at the same time it was a good feeling to be able to do it.:)

Skyhook
03-04-2004, 13:51
"Flying the last 500 feet landing a helicopter that's been flashing caution lights and making weird noises for 30 minutes."

LOL!! Outstanding.

ateamer
03-04-2004, 13:57
My favorite flying? The kind done in the air, especially when I have the controls.

I love just cruising up the coast around here between 700 and 1,500 feet (depends on how many buildings are underneath), not real fast and enjoying the scenery. I am also getting to like cross countries more and more, and having fun with the challenge of planning and navigation. I am probably going to get my instrument rating this year and commercial in '05 or '06.

F14Scott
03-04-2004, 23:09
Originally posted by M2 Carbine
Flying the last 500 feet landing a helicopter that's been flashing caution lights and making weird noises for 30 minutes.;f

Similarly, it's an oddly relieved-yet-satisfying feeling to trap aboard Mom and shut down in the wires after having something seriously wrong with the jet, especially if you had to get a "pull forward" in the process. (An emergency pull forward is when you ask the Boss to completely screw up the launch cycle and move everybody out of the LZ so you can land, RFN. Everybody on the boat is watching Danger TV to see if you land or, um, don't.) I did it twice, once with a combined-side hydraulic failure (day) and once with a cockpit electrical failure where the trim ran away forward and then caught on fire (night). Both my pilots made varsity landings. For my part, I didn't squeak on the radios, much. :)

All things being equal, I'd rather be on an ACM det out of Key West: two hops a day of nuthin' but many v. many dissimilar, followed by dinner at El Siboney and the obligatory all night party-x at the Hog's Breath.

Bullman
03-05-2004, 00:40
Since I am limited to sims, I really enjoy the Battle of Britain on Combat Flight simulator 1. Flying those Hurricanes and Spitfires is really something, I think I must have had a previous life in the RAF about that time.

Skyhook
03-05-2004, 04:10
Yea, Bullman. I also like flying that Spit on CFS Battle of Britain.. When my field is too mushy (like now!) and the Cheyenne is out of service (like now!) I get out that sim and bust some serious BGs arses.
I have tried other sims, but this is by far the best in my HO. I just like the shoot-em-up business. I have been hoping MS would offer this same sim with some tweaking. In the meantime----

M2 Carbine
03-05-2004, 08:18
F14Scott,
That carrier TO and LDG has got to be a ball.
Like the most fun a person can have while getting the sh** scared out of them.

There's a number of flying things I always wanted to do, and being a carrier pilot was one of them.

I probably should have joined the Navy in 1955 instead of the USMC. The Corps screwed me out of flight school (long story), I probably would have had a better chance in the Navy.

Anyhow, getting the Army helicopter school 9 years later gave me the chance to fly for a living for 38 years. :)

Bullman,

The SIM is called Battle of Britian or Combat Flight Simulator 1, or CFS Battle of Britain?

Or are these the same SIM?

Is this the best one out now?

I need to get a good WW2 Sim.

WW1 would probably be the time I would pick to be a combat pilot.

I think that close in knife fight type of dog fighting would be a blast,
right up to the time my plane was flamed;f

Bullman
03-05-2004, 11:59
Originally posted by Skyhook
Yea, Bullman. I also like flying that Spit on CFS Battle of Britain.. When my field is too mushy (like now!) and the Cheyenne is out of service (like now!) I get out that sim and bust some serious BGs arses.
I have tried other sims, but this is by far the best in my HO. I just like the shoot-em-up business. I have been hoping MS would offer this same sim with some tweaking. In the meantime----

I have several sims, I have all three Microsoft Combat Flight Simulators. Combat Flight Simulator 1 is the WW2 Europe Series. In this one there are several different campaigns you can fly, or just fly missions if you choose. One of the campaigns is the Battle of Britain, and you can fly it from an English, or German perspective. The other Campaign is the Battle for Europe and you can fly it as a German or with the USAAF.

Then, Microsoft came out with Combat Flight Simulator 2, which is the WW2 Pacific Series. It is a little different as you might expect, different planes, The campaigns are longer, and you have to learn how to land on a carrier, which isn't as easy as it looks (I don't think I ever thought it was easy )

Within the last year or so, Microsoft came out with Combat Flight Simulator 3, they went back to Europe for this one. This sim deals with the later war years in Europe and throws some planes in the mix that you can use that didn't actually appear in combat. You can fly the Gloster Meteor, A de Havilland Vampire, an Me 262, a Lockheed P-80
, there are some experimentals on there too, but there are a ton of planes you can fly on this sim. Another neat feature about the Campaigns, if you don't fly the right kind of missions, and you aren't successful at those missions, you can LOSE the war.

I also have a sim from UBIsoft that is called IL-2 Sturmovik, it is okay, but I don't fly it near as much as the CFS series.

M-2, I haven't looked into the WW 1 sims. Combat Flight Simulator does have a Sopwith Camel you can fly, and I have even fought a Me 109 and won, but it isn't easy to do. I like that sort of fighter pilot era though too, when it was guns and skill, instead of technology ( don't flame me, I know it still takes a ton of skill to be a fighter pilot today, but you have a lot of help, and you need it with the increased speeds and g loads ). If you look around and find a good WW 1 sim, let me know, I am always looking for something new to try. You need quite a bit of good video card ram and a pretty up to date system to run CFS 3.

M2 Carbine
03-05-2004, 16:52
Thanks,
I'll get MCF 1 or 2.

I had a Sim, I think it was Microsoft, that had a carrier.
I kept trying to land a Lear Jet on it. I couldn't get it to stop but I did get to where I could do a touch and go.:)
It also had a Sopwith Camel, so it must have been Microsoft. It was easy to land on the carrier.

Ya Bullman, it is Microsoft Flight Simulator, I found the CD.
I'll load it up, I haven't tried it in years.

I played Red Baron 2 a lot and got pretty good with the hardest settings.
The problem is after about 5 minutes of combat the enemy will become less agressive and run. Then it's just chase them until you shoot them down.

You could do some fun stuff like fly under the bridges up side down.

I don't think they did that much with the real WW1 fighters;f

Wulfenite
03-05-2004, 17:13
M2,

You should try out the latest MSFS. Its pretty cool. You can set your plane at the nearest airport that reports weather and the program will download the current weather and time of day (for lighting) from the internet and render it in the Sim. Its like looking out the window.

I downloaded a Mustang and have been flying the pylons at Reno-Stead just like the air racers. Its pretty cool. Those guys make it look easy but you're rolling in and out of turns the whole time and you're just a twitch away from making a black streak across the desert. It actually gives me a crook in my neck from keeping it bent to the left. You have to bend your neck like that or the plane wont turn like it should. ;)

M2 Carbine
03-05-2004, 18:51
Thanks Wulfenite, I'll look for it the next time I get to Fort Worth.

If I could download a PPC (powered parachute) like mine, I could practice landing over power lines like I have on the North side of my place.

Better yet I could try taking off over them. :)
500 foot runway
33 foot powerlines.

But back to the subject.
Flying a PPC is my favorite flying right now.
Mainly because I can fly it out of the back yard and wander around at a couple hundred feet, on a couple gallons of car gas.:cool:

This is my "airport".
A little tight for a Mustang.;f

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/m2carbine/Runwayss.jpg

Skyhook
03-06-2004, 05:28
M2, those lines in that fine photo- are they runways? If so, what are they made of??
(BTW, I also have flown low-n-slow stuff; Kolb & Lazair. Fun. I am presently looking for a Hytek Hurricane.. know of any for sale??))

Wulfenite
03-06-2004, 08:38
M2,

You need to secure landing rights from the guy north east of you (assuming the picture is oriented with north up). Looks like he's got a little more space.

Bullman
03-06-2004, 10:10
Do you need a pilots license to fly a powered parachute or is it like an ultralight? Maybe this is some real flying that I could afford, eventually.

sopdan
03-06-2004, 19:46
500 feet? I think you could get a Husky in there. :)

Texas T
03-06-2004, 20:14
Originally posted by Wulfenite
You need to secure landing rights from the guy north east of you (assuming the picture is oriented with north up). errr... did you mean to say north WEST? ;f

Wulfenite
03-06-2004, 20:20
http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepBearhawk260.html

How about this one. 260 horse, 1100 pounds empty. As long as you keep it light it should get in and out..... if you're up to the task.

M2 Carbine
03-06-2004, 21:32
Skyhook, I put those Yellow and Red lines in with Paint Shop. I sent the picture to some ex co-workers to show them what my runways looked like.
That ground is rougher and slopes more than it looks and I have to touchdown on the good spots.
I've never seen a Hytes Hurricane. I checked out the picture. I like that. Looks like fun to fly.

Wulfenite,
The picture is looking West.
When I first moved there (1967) I use to land a C150 on the road. I had to stop when everyone put up mailboxes.

That land across the road came up for sale several years before I retired. I thought about buying part of it but I still had a fair chance of being killed before I retired and I was trying to make sure my wife had no financial worries and I didn't want to leave her with a $100,000 bill to fool with.
Now there's a fence across the middle of the field and it is usually plowed up.
It's still my primary forced landing area when taking off South.

The land back to the North East (out of the picture) is mine. It's wooded and where I have a gun range.:cool:

Man that Bearhawk looks good.
I'de buy a beer to see someone fly it (or a Husky) out of my place :)

Bullman, The PPC is considered an ultralight. No license, physical or even dual required. (But a person really needs some dual flights)
The first time I flew it, I taxied it around for 20 minutes. Laid out the parachute and took off.
Not one of the smarter things I ever did but I've always had more luck than brains. ;Q

When I got back down, you really couldn't call it a landing, the owner of the machine said, "You did good, I've never flown in wind this strong".;P

Zebulon
03-06-2004, 21:44
Truth be known....I'm 57. Dad was a pilot. Private, not commercial. I find no flying pleasureable at all apart from the flying I do in my dreams. Free, flawless, safe. silent, beautiful, and independent of mechanical devices..(aircraft). Wake up and smell the coffee boys....You'll eventually put your eyes out with that crap!.....Zebulon

Skyhook
03-07-2004, 05:29
M2, yeah, I suspected those were not actual pics of actual runways;) ..
The Hy-Tek Hurricane is the 'son' of the Phantom UL. A doctor friend had one based here on my field for years and it is an impressive little ship. Stressed at something like +6.5Gs, -4Gs, cruise of about a Cub-like 80mph, and excellent control response.
The owner of Phantom recently died, Hy-Tek seems to have been dissolved, so I am looking for a used, but not abused item to fill in while my runway solidifies. Born to fly, you know;f !!!

FlyNavy
03-07-2004, 05:46
Any time I give the SEALs a ride.
The moment the chocks and chains go in after a night boat landing in crappy wx.
Full stop with low fuel lights.
CAVU VFR mountain flying in Italy.
Key West SAR.
A few tight circles over my house with waving family and neighbors. (would be neat..never done it)

I could babble about it all day!

Skyhook
03-07-2004, 06:13
Wouldn't it be just perfect if, somehow, members here could ride with each other on these favorite rides?
I see some I'd like to experience... some I wouldn't, also!;P

M2 Carbine
03-07-2004, 08:17
Originally posted by Zebulon
Truth be known....I'm 57. Dad was a pilot. Private, not commercial. I find no flying pleasureable at all apart from the flying I do in my dreams. Free, flawless, safe. silent, beautiful, and independent of mechanical devices..(aircraft). Wake up and smell the coffee boys....You'll eventually put your eyes out with that crap!.....Zebulon

Zebulon,
You are absolutely right.
Flying really sucks.

I just turned 66 and if I ever grow up I'm sure I will quit.;f

TheGrinch
03-08-2004, 15:24
Climbing at 10,000 fpm, breaking out of an undercast in a left angle of bank, as you turn through 270 at sunset.

Skimming the clouds at 500 KTAS again, at sunset, doing rolls, inverted flight, seeing the imprint of your vortices in the clouds as you look over your shoulder.

Flying formation acro as a wingman on a calm day with a smooth lead.

Any GA airplane at 500 AGL where you can go anywhere you want.

The tug of the three wire at night with a pitching deck during blue water ops. Actually, the two or four will do nicely too.

Getting into the basket on a sweet tanker when five minutes prior you were looking at ejecting at night into heavy seas in the North Atlantic.

Flying with a professional, enthusiastic Captain, Copilot, RIO, BN, WSO, etc.

Counting 400 of your hits on the banner after air to air gunnery hop.

Getting airborne successfully for the flyoff after a seven month cruise with five port calls.

Grinch

03-08-2004, 19:43
600KTs at 75 feet.;f

Bullman
03-09-2004, 06:04
Originally posted by Skyhook
M2, yeah, I suspected those were not actual pics of actual runways;) ..
The Hy-Tek Hurricane is the 'son' of the Phantom UL. A doctor friend had one based here on my field for years and it is an impressive little ship. Stressed at something like +6.5Gs, -4Gs, cruise of about a Cub-like 80mph, and excellent control response.
The owner of Phantom recently died, Hy-Tek seems to have been dissolved, so I am looking for a used, but not abused item to fill in while my runway solidifies. Born to fly, you know;f !!!

Your mention of the Hy-Tek Hurricane intrigues me. Is it a Hawker Hurricane look alike kit type plane?

Skyhook
03-09-2004, 09:06
No resemblence whatever to the Hawker except for the fact there are wings and they both fly.
The Hy-Tex thing has a one-seat pod slung beneath a boom structure from which the tractor engine (Rotax 477- 503), wings, and empennage are all attached.
This thing will not win any beauty contests, but flies and handles well. The only characteristic that makes it more desirable than a Phantom is the stick is between the pilot's legs where it belongs. The Phantom's is on the side. Both are tricycle-geared and hell-for-stout.

Bullman
03-09-2004, 10:57
Thanks for the info. :)

glockatlanta
03-09-2004, 15:32
Running a nice long ridge in a high performance sailplane when the wind is really blowing. ;f

G21NZ
03-09-2004, 16:19
Hey all you Navy Pilots,

I'm starting Flight Training at Pensecola in July... any advice?

Wulfenite
03-09-2004, 16:20
GREAT! Soaring video I came across on SP.com

http://movies.lazyeights.net/sailbatics.wmv

Its pretty large though, 32 meg. So dont touch it if you're not on broadband.

If that does not give you a hard-on for a sail plane rating, nothing will. Notice the inverted, coordinated turns.

03-09-2004, 22:37
Originally posted by G21NZ
Hey all you Navy Pilots,

Be prepared when you show up to the brief for each flight, and you should do fine. Most guys go through without any trouble at all. But if you do have problems, you will still be OK (within limits), as long as you have a good attitude, and are properly prepared for each flight.

Good luck, and enjoy!

And watch out for that white sand on Pensacola Beach! Talk about sunburn.

FlyNavy
03-10-2004, 03:17
Originally posted by G21NZ
Hey all you Navy Pilots,

Are you an Officer yet?

G21NZ
03-10-2004, 16:07
FlyNavy,

No I'm not an officer yet. I guess I should have been more specific. I start OCS in July, but I'm in the flight program. So in reality I'll be starting the actual flight training sometime in the fall or early winter. I'm already a commercial pilot, I've been flying since about 96 and commercially (cargo) for about a year now. I was just looking for any comments from those that have been there about the actual flight training aspect of the whole experience.

Thanks for the replies though.

FlyNavy
03-10-2004, 23:02
Sounds great G21. Your commercial experience will help you in those first weeks of Primary. Don't volunteer it though unless they ask. If for a second they think you're anything but a timid novice, they will put you in your place. And you'll soon find that Navy flying is much different than civilian flying. I was an OCS guy too. Wings are a great long term goal to keep you going, but realize you have many hurtles to cross before they'll even let you in the cockpit.

OCS is no joke, concentrate on that first. Its fun to tell the world you're off to become a pilot. I did the same thing. The truth is you're going to become an Officer. Then after you become an Officer, kick butt in API, then ground school, only then will you start flying. When I drove to Pensacola for day 1 of OCS my goal was to be a pilot in 2 years. When I arrived my goal was to be an Officer Candidate for another day. You will see friends wash out who all said "It'll never happen to me."

Just remember your cockiness and self-esteem is taken away the first day of OCS and not returned until the day you pin on the wings. Good luck and have fun...I'm sure you'll kick ass!

37glocker
03-11-2004, 16:52
Congrats G21. Funny you mention that. I also am in the Navy Pilot Program and am awaiting my OCS appointment. My friend just graduated from this past OCS class and he said it was some good ****. I can't wait!

37glocker
03-11-2004, 16:54
btw...you say your going to UPT, I think there might be a couple bumps in the road first and I would concentrate on getting thru OCS first. have you heard the word on pointy nose availabilty? word on the street is that they are giving out 90% rotors and the rest are getting E6s.

G21NZ
03-11-2004, 18:49
Don't know too much about that... I have 2 friends I graduated college with that are about half way through the pilot program there and they both got jets. Both say they are going to get either the 14 or the 18. But, they also both graduated primary top in their class. (They were in different classes, one behind the other.) That's all I have to go on. I honestly have no idea what will be available, I'm just trying to think positive.

Good luck to you.

37glocker
03-11-2004, 19:15
thats cool. they are halfway thru and they already know what they are going to be flying? i wouldnt mind the F-14 because once they get phased out, which will be very soon, you'll be pushing a supahornet anyways. how old are you?

G21NZ
03-11-2004, 20:15
Ya the whole 14 to 18 thing is why they want 14s in the first place, just to say that they've flown both. And I honestly don't know if it'll all happen that way or not, I'm pretty sure nothing is set in stone. But as I understand the process, those who graduate with the highest scores get first pick of what's available. Right now they are both top in their class. I think that is the only reason they are so confident in what they'll get.

(I'm 24)

37glocker
03-11-2004, 20:57
too cool. well good luck in july. break in the new boeing superhornets for me so they are nice and warm when i get there.

FlyNavy
03-12-2004, 21:28
Funny stuff. The trends in selection availabity change every week. Its straight up ridiculous to plan anything based on whats happening now. They will change 10 times before you even get to OCS, let alone finish Primary. The very top guy in the class will ALMOST always get his first choice. Other than that there are no guarantees. I can assure you good grades in Primary will not guarantee jets over helos. Its a crapshoot sometimes. Its all about the needs of the Navy, not your adventurous spirit. But if you're so badass that you'll be #1 out of everyone then you have nothing to worry about. Thats a good attitude that I hope you can keep past the first weeks of training. I wouldn't get a "Hornet Driver" personalized license plate just yet though.

If things don't go as planned, I'll keep the helos warm for you. You can't go wrong as long as you don't quit.

03-13-2004, 18:21
FlyNavy^6

rwg_bt
03-13-2004, 19:41
Getting yelled at by my CFI while entering a spin while joyriding in his dad's 150 Aerobat. (Hey, he said "horse it around," how would you have interpreted it? ;b )

Helopilot
03-14-2004, 12:12
clean out your message box, Buck. I can't send you a private message until you do.