First time hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First time hunting

Timothy658
03-04-2004, 18:13
I am thinking of going hunting next deer season. I have never been hunting, and I have never even had any interest in it at all. But about a year ago I developed an interest in guns, and now it only seems natural. I know I would have to take a hunters safety course, what other expenses are there? The only rifles I have are a .22 and half of an AR. I would probably borrow my wifes dads rifle to go with, as him and his son go hunting each year. How much venison does one deer produce? How long does it usually last?

Dogbite
03-04-2004, 20:43
Make sure you practice with the rifle before heading into the field.You might want to by some boots if you dont have any,and depending on your state,a hunters orange vest.Camo depending on how your going to hunt,sometimes camo is overrated.The best thing you can do while hunting is be still--and quiet.Venison--usually you get it processed at a cooler--they can make it into ground meat,sausage,--looks like you bought it at wallmart when they are done.How long does it last??Depends on the size of the deer--usually makes several packs.Good luck!!

bassman-dan
03-05-2004, 03:07
I would recommend that you start collecting your deer hunting gear right now because it might take a while to gather everything you need. It will take even longer to gather everything you "want".
Make it a point to tell your wife, friends & family specifically what pieces of hunting equipment you want for your birthday, Father's Day, etc., i.e. Leupold Vari X III, 3 X 9 rifle scope, insulated camo bibs, size 42, or whatever.
Your clothing doesn't specifically HAVE to be camo but avoid the color blue (it stands out to deer) and DO wear hunter orange in the field whether you have to or not. It has saved me from being shot at least one time--that I know of. I like to wear camo because it is something I can set aside in the closet and keep it in good shape--its ready when I need it.
There are two areas you specifically do not want to scrimp in. Spend whatever it takes to get good quality boots and a riflescope. You will find that if you don't spend it now, you will most assuredly pay for it later. The boots should be obvious but I am constantly amazed at how many hunters buy a cheap to mid-range scope and then complain because their scope was off or else it was too early or late to shoot in low light. A quality scope will avoid most of those problems.
Yes, borrow a rifle(s) until you're sure what kind you want but be sure that it is sighted-in good before using...another common mistake that has saved many a deer. Try to hunt with SAFE, experienced hunters as much as possible to learn the ropes.
Welcome to the hunting fraternity......HAVE FUN! ^c

vafish
03-05-2004, 06:38
Good Advice above.

If your Father in Law has a suitable rifle you can borrow I'd go that route. As previously stated take it to the range and shoot a couple of boxes of ammo through it, depending upon caliber and rifle type you may not want to do that all in one sitting, especially if you are not used to recoil.

A hunter safety course is a must, also try and find some books on hunting so you can learn deer anatomy and where to place your bullets.

My final piece of advice on deer hunting is. The deer are in the woods. You need to be in the woods to shoot the deer. I know way to many hunters who walk into their stand too late, leave to early for lunch, then walk back in in the evening. In a whole day of hunting they may spend 4 hours actually hunting.

As to how much meat is on a deer, that depends upon the size of deer. I grew up in Minesota and the deer there are much larger than the deer here in Virginia where I currently live. I shot 2 does this year and the meat is gone already (well I have 2 bags of Jerky left). But I have 4 kids and a wife and we all eat the stuff. I butcher my own deer and don't bother weighing the meat I put in the freezer.

Sixgun_Symphony
03-05-2004, 18:23
Check the pawnshops, a .30-30 Winchester can be had for $150 used.

Timothy658
03-05-2004, 19:14
Thanks for the replys Sixgun. I will do just that.

Flatlander03
03-05-2004, 23:51
Another thing to do is stop in at your local DNR office and pick up literature on the subject.

Gun season, Blaze Orange is required from the waist up. If you wear a hat, it must also be Blaze Orange as well.

Keep your feet warm then you will be warm.
Insulated bibs and jacket with layered with loose clothes underneath is the way to go if you're still hunting.
If you're moving about, lighter attire will suffice. Keep dry and don't sweat.

You can carry center-fire rifle and non-concealed pistol(5.5" barrel required) simultaneously and use either as need be.

Defiantly go to Hunter's Safety class, it's well worth it.

WalterGA
03-06-2004, 13:39
Timothy: Good luck with your new venture! Just remember, if deer hunting were very difficult, those 7-yr-girls with SKS's would't be "harvesting" (I love that euphemism!) big bucks every year! ;)