What game to take with .22 LR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What game to take with .22 LR

CodeBlue23
03-06-2004, 19:58
Got a new 10/22 recently and was wondering what game do some of you take with it? I imagine that it would be suitable for squirrel, rabbit, or maybe even bobcat. Just wondering if any of you use .22 for hunting and what is the biggest size game you would consider taking with one?

Sixgun_Symphony
03-06-2004, 22:56
The .22 rimfire would be great for cotton tail rabbits and squirrel.

I would prefer a rifle chambered in .32-20 for shooting bobcat or jackrabbits.

Dogbite
03-06-2004, 23:02
I would say yes to all the animals you have mentioned.In my state,you have to shoot bobcat,and fox with a "small arms weapon",which would be a 22lr,or a shotgun.A 10/22 is a squirrel terminator!!Hehehe

Esox357
03-07-2004, 10:35
Depends on distance and ammo using. Within 50 yards and in the vitals, bobcats and coyotes could be dispatched, anything further and you are pushing it. The 22 is best used on squirrel, rabbits, and small pests. If you want to regularly hunt bobcats I would move up to a 223 or better. Esox357

9mm4me
03-07-2004, 20:33
.22lr is good for anything under about 8 pounds. Anything bigger than that you need to go up in caliber.

03-08-2004, 18:00
Possum!;)

duncan
03-14-2004, 14:44
Grouse too!

And in some states, even turkey.

Varmints too like possoms and crows if lawful.

mudfootball
03-15-2004, 09:25
semi autos are a no-no here in pa, but as for the cartridge, i have dispatched crows, squirrels, & ghogs. As for bullets a hollow point can add to the damage, i like american eagle hollow points in my marlin and cci stingers shoot tight in my mossberg.
kt

bambihunter
04-07-2004, 03:47
I hunt everything you mentioned plus varmits like prairie dog and ground hog. I have taken a coyote with it, but it took 4 shots to stop it.

Please don't take this as something that should even be considered remotely commonplace:

I had finished deer hunting season relatively early one year (filled all my tags) and was rabbit hunting when I heard a crashing in the brush. I pulled the gun up, but not pointing at anything when a doe crashed to a halt about 35 yards away. I could see she was bleeding all over and she had obviously been running for a while as her saliva was frothy. I pulled up the 10/22 and finished her off with a single shot between the eyes and she dropped where she stood.
We then went off and located the hunter that shot it originally and after giving him a piece of our minds on his poor judgement (he said he shot at it 6 times, hitting it once in the abdomen) we led him back to the deer where he tagged it and drug it off. ^8

Like I said, that is something I would only do to prevent a wounded animal from dying a slow painful death, or in a true survival situation, but the .22lr DOES have enough power for more than we give it credit for. BTW, the above shot was using cheap Remington Cyclones, not some hyper-velocity loading.

Congrats on the 10/22, it should provide you with years of enjoyable shooting.

CodeBlue23
04-07-2004, 11:22
That's a very interesting story. You definitely made the right decision, and I hope that anybody in the same situation would do the same thing. Also makes you realize the power of a gun that is "just a .22"