Old Guy wanting to Fly [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Old Guy wanting to Fly

kikilee
03-06-2004, 20:23
I'm a 52, no, check that, (53 last Tues) year old male.Have always wanted to fly. I recently came into a nice sum of money and am thinking about taking lessons and if that goes well then buying my own plane. My question is: AM I TOO OLD TO BE THINKING LIKE THIS? Considering the fact that my health is reasonabaly good and my eysight is decent (am not required to wear glasses to drive)should I be expected to pass the physical. I don't want to fly commercial or anything like that, just for my own enjoyment and leisure. In other words my private license. What say you of vast experience? Is this something a man of my ripe old age could undertake?

sushi600
03-06-2004, 20:36
Originally posted by kikilee
I'm a 52, no, check that, (53 last Tues) year old male.Have always wanted to fly. I recently came into a nice sum of money and am thinking about taking lessons and if that goes well then buying my own plane. My question is: AM I TOO OLD TO BE THINKING LIKE THIS? Considering the fact that my health is reasonabaly good and my eysight is decent (am not required to wear glasses to drive)should I be expected to pass the physical. I don't want to fly commercial or anything like that, just for my own enjoyment and leisure. In other words my private license. What say you of vast experience? Is this something a man of my ripe old age could undertake?

I'm not one with a whole lot of experience, but....

why not? Lessons for your PP are only $5-10K, spread out over the time you take your lessons. If you don't enjoy it, at the very least you should feel a sense of accomplishment. If you do, then you just opened yourself to a boatload of places you can go that would be inconvenient in a commercial aircraft.

Just my 2 cents ;)

NCSteve
03-06-2004, 21:34
I'm just getting started myself and I'm a bit younger (just shy of 40), but I don't see why you shouldn't. I think most people qualify for a class 3 medical, but even if if you don't, you could always go the ultralight route which is unregulated (or the new Sport Pilot route, which only requires a valid drivers license (instead of the medical) -- this should be approved by the FAA sometime in the few couple of months).

If you've got the money and the inclination, go for it!

Texas T
03-06-2004, 21:39
Sounds like you are in fine shape, both physically and financially so you should go for it. If you don't you will regret not trying it.

sopdan
03-06-2004, 21:48
Yeah, what all the others said...

Even though I'm less than half your age (*ducking*), I'd say that your as long as your healthy enough (and I'm sure you are), and you're motivated enough to learn (and I'm sure you are), then why the hell not?

Flying is probably the best thing that has happened to me. And even though I'm not able to see anything but the panel right now (working on my instrument rating), I love every minute of it.

Good Luck.

Wulfenite
03-06-2004, 22:21
Find a local FBO and take an inroductory lesson (some call it a Discovery Flight). Should cost you 50 or 60 bucks. If you're still interested take a couple more lessions. If you're still interested go get a medical ($60-$80) and keep flying till they hand you your ticket. You're definately not too old.

mbsigman
03-06-2004, 23:01
Originally posted by kikilee

OH HELL YES GO FOR IT!! It is not difficult to pass a third class medical exam. The thought that one posted regarding an introductory flight is a great idea - try it out and see if you like it. Then if you decide that you do like it, find an FAA Aeromedical Examiner (your local FAA office can supply you with a list of Examiners near you).

You are NOT too old (over 100 would be pushing the envelop, but then again....) and you will find it highly rewarding. Best of luck to you!

Mike

FB3
03-07-2004, 12:34
You are definitely not too old to begin to fly. The medical for private flying (Third Class), is not at all stringent, and now a lot of medications for blood pressure etc, are approved while flying.

I think that it is very important to find a really good school. Don't just go the the nearest airport and begin your lessons. Do some research and meet/talk to as many local pilots as you can in order to get some good references for instructors/schools. Do not hesitate to ask for a different instructor if you do not feel comfortable with the first one you get. Sometimes a little different approach and personality can make all the difference between an enjoyable flying experience and a frustrating one which may drive you away from the activity.

Once you get a little time and confidence, you will find flying extremely relaxing and rewarding. Enjoy it.

PS Do you still have the Kobra Carry that you got from me a while back?

Frank

BillCola
03-07-2004, 15:35
I recently came into a nice sum of money

That's the qualifier, your age is irrelevant (barring serious medical challenges).

Now stop reading this drivel and get to the airport!!! :)

M2 Carbine
03-07-2004, 23:46
Go for it.
When you get to 72 worry about your age.;f

Timotheous46
03-08-2004, 04:49
52 TOO OLD!!!!!
sorry for the caps, but I had to vent.
Nope, 52 isn't too old.

A few years ago (ok, quite a few years) we had a student come by our local airport on his cross country flight. He was 82! You've got 30 years to go to catch up to him.

Tim

kikilee
03-08-2004, 18:36
Thanks guys for all the replys. I'm going to give it a go. I'll keep you posted.
Frank - much to my disappointment I sold that one and have regretted it since.
Thanks again to all.
Joe

Helopilot
03-10-2004, 19:03
You won't learn as fast as you did when you were twenty but you will have a better prospective on priorities. Any one in reasonable health and mental capacity can learn to fly as long as they are not afraid of flight. Your first flight will tell you right away if you are unreasonably afraid of flying and how motivated you are to continue. Personally, if I don't fly for 30 days or so I start having flying dreams and get (according to my wife)irritable and hard to live with. It is like nothing else in this world and if you don't try it, you will always regret it.

Wulfenite
03-10-2004, 19:16
Originally posted by Helopilot
Personally, if I don't fly for 30 days or so I start having flying dreams and get (according to my wife)irritable and hard to live with.

I'm going to have to try that.

hapuna
03-11-2004, 11:19
Go for it. And if you have the bucks you might want to buy yourself a trainer for the lessons. That will end up saving you money in the long run. Then you can trade up if you're not happy with what you have.

Colonel Klink
03-11-2004, 11:26
It takes awhile to qualify for solo. You must fly with an instructor until he or she signs you off to solo. Cesena once ran ads with coupon for introductory lesson. Call them and see if they still offer the coupon.

You have no idea how exciting if is to get in a plane and fly somewhere without anyone in the right seat. Go for it. At least until you solo.

Texas T
03-11-2004, 12:31
Here ya go...

http://www.beapilot.com/indexfl.html

Info, coupons, and more.

Free six month subscription...

http://www.aopaflighttraining.com/

Skyhook
03-11-2004, 15:02
Oh, my! Here this 52 y/o guy stands looking at possibilities and my 73 y/o neighbor just soloed....

Go for it!!!

HerrGlock
03-13-2004, 03:01
One "Dear Abby" column has stuck in my mind for years. This is not an exact quote but close enough:

Dear Abby,
I'm considering going back to school to finish my Masters degree. I don't really need to, just want to do it for myself. But, when I think about it, by the time I finish, in 3 years, I'll be 57. What do you think I should do?

Reply,
And how old will you be in three years if you do not go back and finish your degree?

It was a bit longer than that, but that was the gist of it. I've done a number of things that I knew I would not particularly fall in love with just so I do not turn 50 and say, "I wish I had ______" Do it.

DanH

Colonel Klink
03-13-2004, 11:23
Thanks Herr! Words to live by. I have a busines, two rental houses, two Mercedes and a piolts license.