What will a BRENNEKE 12-Gauge Slug Bring Down? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What will a BRENNEKE 12-Gauge Slug Bring Down?

ULVER
03-08-2004, 01:30
Got a Marlin 695 Slug Gun... Just curious on opinion: What is the biggest game, this 12-Gauge will drop, with Magnum Brenneke Slugs>??? I can't see a shot at 100yrds. More like 50yrds. Good to go, for wild boar???;d

Alpha Male
03-08-2004, 07:09
Q: "What will a Brenneke 12-gauge slug bring down?"

A: Anything you fire it at. Seriously. I have long been a proponent of this cartridge as a result of my observations of having shot game with it. I use the 2 3/4" inch load however. The slugs are not designed to expand, and significant deformation is not noted even when heavy bone is encountered. It is a hard alloy. The result is usually a one inch, perfectly straight wound channel. These slugs are seldom recovered from deer sized animals, even when shot lengthwise. I have seen over 4 feet of penetration through a single animal. Because of the squared off shoulder of the design, energy transfer and tissue destruction seem fairly optimally balanced with the extreme penetration. And they seem to kick a whole lot less than comprable domestically produced slugs. Accuracy with the shorter 2 3/4" loads is astounding. Out of a smoothbore slug barrel, they litterally land on top of one another at 50 yards. For big game under 100 steps, it is tops.

noway
03-08-2004, 09:18
alpha male couldn't have said it any better.

The magnum 2.34" load in the 12ga is a great load and if you want something slight smaller , the 20ga offering is not bad either.

Michigun
03-08-2004, 12:23
Took the buffalo (pictured) attached below with a 12-gauge sabot slug that would have less penetration then the Brenneke slug youíre asking aboutÖ big enough game animal for ya? ;)

badhunter123
03-08-2004, 18:49
Anything in North America or South America. Don't know about elephant or cape buffalo in Africa -- can't think of anything else it would not kill. If you got a big enough trophy room, it would be interesting to go round the world and see how many species you could take with a 12 guage slug.

Send pics

Michigun
03-08-2004, 21:02
Originally posted by badhunter123
If you got a big enough trophy room, it would be interesting to go round the world and see how many species you could take with a 12 guage slug.

That's what I'm planing to do! ;)

Rabon
03-08-2004, 21:52
I use the 1 3/8 ounce 3" Brenneke slugs in a 590 A1, recoil is quite stiff and accuracy in my 590 is exceptional. Many of the Bow Hunters in the area use these in their shotguns (Bear defense) while Moose hunting. It is my understanding they work very, very well.;)

Mwinter
03-08-2004, 22:18
The only sizeable game I've used them on was feral hogs; they worked very well. Accurate and plenty of power/performance.

Out of my work shotgun (M590A1GRS), they are honestly COM accurate at 100yds---the pepper poppers fall every time when I do my part. Funny thing is, the low-recoil Remington slugs honestly don't even make it to the target! I see them impact about 80-90yds downrange ;Q

Don't ask me how I know...but a Brenneke slug will pick up a talking TinkyWinky TeleTubbie wrapped in a IIIa vest and transport it backwards about 10 feet or so ;f

MrMurphy
03-08-2004, 22:24
While I haven't shot any Brenneke slugs (can't find them around here much) I've shot a mess of Remington standard slugs and reduced recoil slugs. Out of my Benelli Nova SP 18.5" barrel with ghost ring sights, from the prone I routinely hit anywhere I feel like on a DPS human silhouette target from 100 yards. Head shots, nuts shots, ribcage, etc on call. Makes those "slugs are inaccurate" guys really annoyed. The huge hole in the target is nice too. And my Benelli has a stiff trigger. With a better one, I'd do even better. I'm a better shot at 50 and 75, but 100 yards doesn't scare me with slugs. :)

I know a guy who shot completely through a 300-lb wild pig with a standard Remington Slugger load (front to back) and another guy who shot a car engine and disabled it with two shots from his 12ga 1187 loaded with slugs ( so much for the getaway car! Nice arrest that one!)

Cali-Glock
03-09-2004, 09:36
Originally posted by Mwinter
Out of my work shotgun (M590A1GRS), they are honestly COM accurate at 100yds---the pepper poppers fall every time when I do my part. Funny thing is, the low-recoil Remington slugs honestly don't even make it to the target! I see them impact about 80-90yds downrange ;Q

Forgive my ignorance but what is "COM accurate"? I am not familiar with the "COM" term. :) Thanks!

My M590A1GRS is my single most favorite weapon. The most versatile, wonderful gun period! Yeehaw!

noway
03-09-2004, 10:35
Center Of Mass. Like on a human target where you should be shooting at.

tree house
03-09-2004, 10:41
Through a smoothbore barrel, the Brenneke/Rottweil type slugs can not be beat for velocity, trajectory, and accuracy. They are simply awesome in terms of the performance they can deliver out of a smoothbore barrel.

As stated however, be aware that there is basically ZERO bullet expansion.

Over the years I've shot several deer with 20g brenneke slugs and I've never had anything other than a perfectly round 1/2" exit wound regardless of where the deer was hit. This makes shot placement very important. If you miss the spine or any of the major organs, be prepared for potentially a very long walk to find your game, often with very little if any blood trail.

IF you do have a rifled barrel I would stick with hollowpoint sabots. Flatter shooting, higher velocity, better accuracy, and great expansion. My Browning BPS 12g rifled game gun with a 4x leupold scope can shoot 3" copper Federal/Barnes expander sabots thru the same hole at 100 yards..... and they always leave a big messy pie-plate sized exit wound. You can't kill things too dead in my book.

Cali-Glock
03-09-2004, 16:05
Originally posted by noway
Center Of Mass. Like on a human target where you should be shooting at.

Thanks!!!

ULVER
03-10-2004, 02:05
Would the 12ga. with the Brenneke slugs be close to a 45-70 factory round?

I know a rural deputy, that has the Brenneke in his 870. He likes what it does to auto glass. Swears it beats the AR-15 he's issued.

Federal used to market a Foster-type 1-1/4th ounce slug. It was for smoothbores. I had it in my own 870, at the time. Always thought that was some SERIOUS hunk of lead to throw at a bad guy...:cool:

Michigun
03-10-2004, 05:48
Originally posted by ULVER
Would the 12ga. with the Brenneke slugs be close to a 45-70 factory round?

1oz (438-grains) of Ďleadí making a ĺĒ hole on its entrance @ velocities (not sure what the Brenneke slug travels at) well in excess of 1,000fps does pretty well.

skeete
03-19-2004, 02:10
We have some big wild ducks around here but I think that the 3,400 ft/lbs of muzzle energy of the super magnum 3" Brenneke should keep me safe. That is in the max 45-70 loading range.

Bowser
03-22-2004, 22:42
The Brenneke Rottweil magnums (for rifled barrels) are 600 grain slugs, with a muzzle velocity of 1760 fps. I thinks this makes 3000 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Trumps nearly all 45-70 loads.

As for real world comparisons, a friend and myself shot two pigs in the last two weeks.
His went down with a 300 gr factory 45-70 like it was hit by a truck.
Mine went down with the above slug like it was hit by a larger truck.
There is a tremendous amount of shock imparted to the pig from this slug round. When I get my pics back, I will post them. My shot plcement between the neck and shoulder was by no means perfect, but the pig died on the spot.

I would have no fears hunting anything in the USA with one of these slugs.

noway
03-23-2004, 08:24
{The Brenneke Rottweil magnums (for rifled barrels) are 600 grain slugs, with a muzzle velocity of 1760 fps.}

Are you refering to the Black Magic? if yes where did you get yours? The distributors I spoke to where still trying to get then ordered.

Bowser
03-24-2004, 00:14
Actually, I bought mine (not Black MAgic) about 2 years ago when Sportsmansguide had them on sale for $3 a box of 5.

I checked them this morning and the package says 600 grains, at 1760 fps.

I have not been able to find a source for them anymore, and they are no longer listed on the Brenneke USA website.

Scoob
04-06-2004, 05:18
I have shot a few 3" 1oz/438gr Winchester slugs just for fun, and they pounded me pretty good. They are rated at 1760fps. I can't imagine what the 600gr slug at that velocity would be like!

Byt the way, 600gr @ 1760fps = 4126 ft/lbs energy by my calculations!!;P

Michigun
04-06-2004, 11:11
Originally posted by Scoob
I have shot a few 3" 1oz/438gr Winchester slugs just for fun, and they pounded me pretty good. They are rated at 1760fps. I can't imagine what the 600gr slug at that velocity would be like!

Byt the way, 600gr @ 1760fps = 4126 ft/lbs energy by my calculations!!;P

The 2-3/4" Winchester Partition Gold sabot is rated @ 1,900fps with a 385-grain .50 caliber slugÖ that sabot is the hardest recoiling (more then ANY 3Ē Iíve tried) round I have ever fired from a 12-gauge shotgun & Iíve tried them all, but the really oddball ones!

A 600-grainer @ 1760fps would be brutal! I know a sabot doesnít help recoil any with its tight fit in/down the barrel, but Iím betting that un-saboted 600-grainer would have it beat! ;P

noway
04-06-2004, 11:34
also remington has the light weight 7/8oz foster slug @1800fps. It is quite punishing for a slug of this weight and quite accurate.

Michigun
04-06-2004, 13:58
also remington has the light weight 7/8oz foster slug @1800fps. It is quite punishing for a slug of this weight and quite accurate.

Glad those Remingtons are accurate, because those Winchester Partition Gold sabots sure as heck weren't! (I gave them more testing then I should have!) I haven't personally seen ANY shotgun do well with those Partition Golds... I'm sure theyíre out there, but the 9 out of 9 shotguns I witnessed sure made'em look bad.

noway
04-06-2004, 15:22
And that the fact they cost alot more than most other slugs make the win-par a last option for me.

For me the Federal Barnes expander is the most accurate and that's from a 3" -slug 1oz job, I getting to the point that I can shoot 3 shot groups @100yrds and keep them on a circle about the size of a cd-disc. I think these things fly right around 1800fps

the lighter and shorter 3/4oz I haven't even gotten around to trying them yet.

Michigun
04-06-2004, 16:32
For me the Federal Barnes expander is the most accurate and that's from a 3" -slug 1oz job, I getting to the point that I can shoot 3 shot groups @100yrds and keep them on a circle about the size of a cd-disc. I think these things fly right around 1800fps

the lighter and shorter 3/4oz I haven't even gotten around to trying them yet.

My slug-gun (Beretta 390 w/Hastings barrel & Leupold scope) has also decided it REALLY likes the Federal 3" 1oz Barnes Expander Sabot... if I remember to Iíll scan the target I shot last year to verify zero before taking my set-up whitetail hunting. Anyway, itís only 2 shots @ 100 yards, but they are REAL close to touching! I used to have (donít know where I put it) a target with 5 rounds fired @ 100 yards... itís hard to see one particular hole... looks like one big one! At the patternís widest point it only measures 2.5"! I was surprised I shot that good myself! ;)

I purchased a few boxes of those new Federals youíre talking about... I guess itís the exact same Barnes slug from the 20-gauge Federal load. It claims 1,900fps too! I got them after hunting season had ended & havenít shot them yet. It would be nice if they shot as well as their bigger brother... that would mean a flatter trajectory! Woohoo!

Bowser
04-06-2004, 23:37
Originally posted by Michigun
The 2-3/4" Winchester Partition Gold sabot is rated @ 1,900fps with a 385-grain .50 caliber slugÖ that sabot is the hardest recoiling (more then ANY 3Ē Iíve tried) round I have ever fired from a 12-gauge shotgun & Iíve tried them all, but the really oddball ones!

A 600-grainer @ 1760fps would be brutal! I know a sabot doesnít help recoil any with its tight fit in/down the barrel, but Iím betting that un-saboted 600-grainer would have it beat! ;P

The recoil from my 870 with rifled barrel (the Hastings one with the big muzzle break) is horrible when sighting it in. If I don't get it sighted in in 5 rounds, I take my chances!. I sight it in approx an inch high at 25 yards. I have yet to shoot past 30 ft with it. When I shoot it at pigs, the recoil is a different story, as I dont feel the recoil one bit; nor do I hear the bang. I guess that it what the adrenaline does to you.

The entrance hole it left in a 200lb hog recently was rather disturbing, as it was approx 1.25 inches in diameter. I don't really know how to explain it, as the slug is only .710 inches wide. It must have "dragged" some flesh in with it.
I have scanned my photos onto CD, and now need to figure out how to put them up here so people can see 'em.

I am also annoyed that I cannot find these slugs anymore, as I bought 10 boxes from Sportsmansguide a few years back, and now have only about 2 left. Right now, it means that my 870's slug barrel is staying on the gun (so I dont waste any by having to sight the gun in again), leaving my .44 mag and my Glock as my home defense guns.

noway
04-07-2004, 08:33
{Right now, it means that my 870's slug barrel is staying on the gun (so I dont waste any by having to sight the gun in again), }

What? if you have a canti-lever ( sp? ) barrel, the zero never changes. I can disassemble my 870 from the barrel and even take the scope off the barrel and and reassemble everything all is still on "zero". ( I hardly ever remove the scope but you get the idea )

Not sure if what you have is a hasting or maybe something with out the cantilever (sp?).

I 've zero my shotgun at 50yrds, due to the vegetation and it is almost impossible to get a shooting lane that's over 50-75yrds with out a branch,grass,palmetto leave in the way and I have never re-zero my shotgun unless I change ammo and even that is a rare.

tree house
04-07-2004, 19:14
As I mentioned above, my rifled BPS loves the 3" 1oz Federal Barnes Expander sabots. I can shoot from the bench 2 inch groups at 100 yards all day.

The best I could ever do with Remington Premier Solid Copper Sabot's was about 4-5" groups.

It is weird how the some guns like some loads and hate others....

My buddy has a rifled 870 and when he shoots the Federal Barnes sabots they 'tumble' out of the barrel and don't group worth a crap. You can tell by the huge rip in the target.

I think the best advice to take with any load whether it is pistol, rifle, or shotgun is to experiment at the range to see what your gun likes.

SKYWLKR
04-17-2004, 21:18
Yea right,recoil.... slugs are for chumps...

try 1 7/8oz 3" magnum turkey loads in an aluminim moss 500, 1400+ FPS OMG they hurt....

what is the breenke slug design? I thought it was what I was shooting but I think they are foster style. 1oz 3"magnum.

and I shoot the 1oz sabot federal 2.75 and 3" Hydra-shock with good success.

I had a touching mickey mouse group of 3 at 25 yards with iron sight's

all of above are stout but still none comparing to those turkey loads.I shot 9 for chrono and sightingting and patterning and I couldnt move for about 4 hours after and I am still sore a week past.I was concerned I was gonna chicken finger if I needed to drop a goobler this morning.

and all of that and I can I am not at all recoil sensitive (esp with pistols .50AE, 44 mag,357 in an aluminum snubbie, .45 in a detonics, major loads in a 9mm keltec, 30/06,7mm mag, .338, dont bother me at all but phyics is physics and that load freakin hurts.

firminw
04-18-2004, 01:10
A 12 guage and the right slug for your gun,mind you will kill anything and everything 'tween Nome and Tiera Del Fuego.Shotguns have been known for years to be the most versitally lethal instrument of death.They are not long range affairs mind you but anything within said range will meet the grim reaper shortly after the firing pin strike on the primer.Whats brought us up to today with development is because of those states which are shotgun only for big game.As usual Big Brother steps in and the hunters step up.Some of the best advances have come about after the Anti's have dealt sportsmen the death blow and we learned how to work despite their constraints.

mikedb
05-01-2004, 06:51
Originally posted by Michigun
Glad those Remingtons are accurate, because those Winchester Partition Gold sabots sure as heck weren't! (I gave them more testing then I should have!) I haven't personally seen ANY shotgun do well with those Partition Golds... I'm sure theyíre out there, but the 9 out of 9 shotguns I witnessed sure made'em look bad.

I tried them too and had bad results. The slug was tumbling as evidenced by the keyhole in the target. I have been using Federal Premium Sabots for the last several years. They give me good accuracy and the 7 deer they took would agree they are effective.

Washington,D.C.
05-10-2004, 22:41
I carry a light weight single shot 12 gauge in bear country.I keep slugs handy for it.Its lighter(and a bit faster for me),than a 375 H&H Mauser.