My flight log..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My flight log.....

Epeescott
03-08-2004, 16:32
Well, I have started flight instruction, and I have a whopping 7 hours under my belt.

However, I have several more hours flying with friends who have been flying for many many years.

So far, my lesson learned binder looks like this:

1. Left turning tendencies means no left rudder on takeoff! Really!

2. Knowing intellectually that if low on approach you must add power and must not pull up is way different than making your body do it.

3. When doing your first stall, you REALLY don't need to push much nose down at all....the nose will get there on its own.

4. Even with an instructor on board, you are the one flying the plane, and it is your butt that will be killed if you are not vigilant in your scanning the sky...75 feet away is too close for another airplane.

As I get more, I will let you know....

NCSteve
03-08-2004, 19:36
Originally posted by Epeescott
3. When doing your first stall, you REALLY don't need to push much nose down at all....the nose will get there on its own.

Yeah, it took me awhile to get the hang of this one too. My first stall recovery involved an altitude loss of something like 1000'. My CFI turned white as a ghost. :) Now, I can recover in about 50'.

It also took me awhile to get the hang of the rudder thingy (when I started I tended to put too little (or none) in, now I have a slight tendency to put a bit too much -- I'm sure I'll get the hang of it sooner or later).

Good luck!

Wulfenite
03-08-2004, 20:27
Originally posted by Epeescott
2. Knowing intellectually that if low on approach you must add power and must not pull up is way different than making your body do it.

I always kind of think of it like this..... Pushing or pulling on the throttle pushes the plane closer to the threshold or pulls it back to the threshold.

All that the elevator does is control your air speed. If you trim properly for the approach speed early in the approach you really shouldent have to mess with the elevator till its time to flair or if you put in more flaps.