Air Gun Hunting in CA... Question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Air Gun Hunting in CA... Question.

hardeyes
03-11-2004, 13:57
Hello,

I have a question, I am going Air Gun Hunting (for Jackrabbits). I have all my gear, license's, etc. But would like to know if I can carry a Handgun ( for S.D. Purpose's ).

Would I be breaking the (California Law) if I carry a loaded S&W (44mag) in a shoulder holster. I would not be shooting any game with it).

I am wondering about this, I do not want to break any laws, and would like to take my child on a good hunt without running into any problems. INFO PLEASE. thanks, Hardeyes.

commander
03-12-2004, 10:03
Yes, you can carry (exposed) a pistol while hunting, depending on where you are at. LA County for instance does not allow rifles or handguns to be used on rabbit. Check with local L/E for any restrictions and closed areas. Also, depending on what animal you are "hunting" with a pistol/revolver, it has to be the proper barrel length (>4") and you need to have the proper ammunition (soft-nose or expansing).

See if this helps.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fg_comm/2003/birdflyer.pdf

As for carrying a handgun for self-defense while engaged in hunting or fishing or at camp, you should be OK provided you are not in a prohibited place. Private land (with landowner's permission), BLM and National Forest lands are generally OK. Again, some counties have restrictions. Check with local authorities.