My first Flight [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My first Flight

MarkCO
03-12-2004, 11:00
I have a student that took my handgun courses that is now embarking on giving me flying lessons.

Anyway, took my first flight on Monday. I learned a LOT and enjoyed actually flying the plane for a while. 4 take-offs and 4 full stop landings. Flying over the city at night was another amazing highlight of the trip. I hope to have my Private Lic. in a few months and then I hope to drastically reduce the number of commercial flights I take for work.

I've raced motorcylces, dragsters, NASCAR, snowmobiles, ATVs, and SCORE vehicles. I've also owned a few boats and had way more than my fair share of muscle cars. Although it was not as "sexy" as some of the other forms of motorized transportation and toys I have played with, it WAS one of the most enjoyable. I guess I am "bitten".

Joined AOPA, cruised the net looking at Pipers, Beechs, experimentals, Cirrus, etc, read three magazines, and dreamed of some day owning mt own plane. The snowmobile and the boat are up for sale.

Medpilot 2
03-12-2004, 12:41
Looks like someone has caught the flying bug. :) Sounds like you have a fun road ahead of you.

C150J
03-12-2004, 15:21
Try some aerobatics in a Pitts or Extra. Then you'll know what "sexy" is:).

Glad to hear you had fun.

J.

Wulfenite
03-12-2004, 20:29
I think most serrious shooters would like piloting. Both activities blend motor skills with good judgement, knowledge, and mental discpline to achieve a worthwhile goal, while death and injury are never more than a moment away.

Texas T
03-12-2004, 22:00
Originally posted by MarkCO
Joined AOPA, cruised the net looking at Pipers, Beechs, experimentals, Cirrus, etc, read three magazines, and dreamed of some day owning mt own plane. The snowmobile and the boat are up for sale. Good for you to join AOPA; they are the Pilot's version of the NRA but they seem to get more accomplished in preserving GA rights than the NRA does in preserving gun rights.

Speaking of Cirrus... got this today from AOPA...

Cirrus Design realized long ago that one way to stay in business is to introduce new aircraft models. Another way to stay in business is to improve production efficiency. The SR22-G2 succeeds on both fronts, but it comes with a slightly higher price tag. The G2 has an upgraded luxury interior, a Hartzell Scimitar Select three-blade propeller, a new cowl, and less visible improvements such as better door latches and a six-point engine mount. The older model SR22 will go out of production. The new model is priced at $328,000, compared to $313,000 for the older SR22. Cirrus said the new model is easier to build and eliminates four workstations. The company reported its best month ever in February, with combined sales of 74 SR20 and SR22 models.
http://download.aopa.org/images/epilot/cirrus_040312.jpg

BillCola
03-12-2004, 22:26
Congratulations Mark!!!!!

And, the Cirrus is sexy.... :)

MarkCO
03-13-2004, 07:29
Yes! If I bought a plane right now, I'd get a Cirrus. I'm going to start saving my dimes, rent for a while and get some decent time on my license before I really start dreaming. Maybe in 5 years or so one will be within reach.

M2 Carbine
03-13-2004, 08:36
Congratulations Mark

First thing, get this book.
Old Wolfgang knew his stuff.

Stick and Rudder
An explanation of the art of flying. Wolfgang Langewiesche's aviation classic has been continuously in print for 33 years and is considered to be one of the best books ever written on the subject of flying. Taken from a collection of articles Langewiesche wrote in the 1940's, it explains precisely what, how and why a good pilot does what he does. Most important, complex concepts and information are conveyed in simple and easily understood language.

Stick and Rudder was the first written analysis of the art of piloting and each article remains as valid today as on the day it was first published. It has long been on the "students must read" lists of many flight instructors and continues to be acclaimed for its accurate, intelligent, and critical analysis of flying; an analysis that is not presented in most modern flight school textbooks.

The basics are largely unchanging. The book therfore is applicable to large airplanes and small, old airplanes and new, and is of interest not only to the learner but also to the accomplished pilot and to the instructor himself.

Today several excellent manuals offer the pilot accurate and valuable technical information. But Stick and Rudder remains the leading think-book on the art of flying.

One thorough reading of it should be the equivalent of many hours of practice.
"It became an instant bestseller and remains to this day both the all-time and current best-selling aviation book (excluding training texts) on the planet."
-- Richard L. Collins, Flying Magazine, June 2002

MarkCO
03-13-2004, 18:19
Thanks M2. I have ordered it and will start on it once I get it. I think I have have read every current "informational" page on the AOPA website and I was amazed at how much was there, both free and to members. Great site.

Do you guys use AOPA for your insurance or someone else?

Texas T
03-15-2004, 22:49
I used Avemco back when I was flying.

PersonalFirepower
03-24-2004, 10:19
Welcome to the skies Mark.

It's funny that you mention a student of yours taking your firearm classes and then giving you flying lessons. Exactly the same thing happened to me! I even swapped him a CPL course for some lessons.

I flew with him for about 5 lessons in a 172 and then changed schools to one that I could save costs flying a Cessna 152. As he was approx 280 lbs, the two of us couldn't get into the 152. So, I found a nice lightweight, but very capable lady (CFII) instructor, and I get out of my lessons for just under $86 and hour wet with instructor.

I'm still very green (32.5 hours), and soloed at 17.4 hours, but all that is remaining until I can take my checkride are my two day solo cross countries (one short, and the other long). I hope to be doing the checkride by late April, early May, maybe sooner if the weather cooperates.

I hope that you will keep at it. Flying is a lot of fun, and very challenging.....as you have already found out.

Cheers,