Got my wife to change her mind [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got my wife to change her mind


OMEGA5
03-14-2004, 13:10
My wife got her CCW last year and has been carrying a Taurus m941 2inch ..22 magnum. She liked the way it shot and the light recoil. Yesterday, I finally convinced her to carry something with more umph;I She's now carrying my old model 36 S&W. So far she has refused to carry a semi-auto. She like revolvers and feels more sure of herself with the revolver. Got her loaded with 125gr Federal Nyclad HP's. Plan on easing her into +P's this summer.
I feel better now;+

whizz
03-14-2004, 13:16
Got my wife to change her mind

Thats what I call a man... ;f

Dino Rustler
03-14-2004, 18:50
Glad to see your wife is carrying. If she likes the revolver then don't try to force her to something else. Can't believe how many men pick out guns for wifes and the wife wants nothing to do with it.
My wife prefers auto's and only shoots revolvers when she does cowboy action shooting.
Ease her into that +P stuff.

Vic303
03-15-2004, 07:37
Omega, why even try to get her into semiautos?

OMEGA5
03-15-2004, 13:19
Vic303: No real reason other than I'd like for her to be competent with any firearm she may be exposed to and since I have quite a few semi-auto's, the time may come when she may need one. ( :)also, it'd give me an excuse to pick up a new gun ;f )

MrsKitty
03-15-2004, 20:59
I agree that your wife should be able to OPERATE a semi-auto, but don't force her into it if she is not ready. Just explain to her that you want to make sure that she can operate each gun in the house, just in case. Tell her that is all you expect...and don't place any other pressures on her. Just explain that you want to be sure that she can defend herself if she cannot get to the gun she is most comfortable with in the even an intruder enetered the house. I bet that approach will work;)

Cat91
03-16-2004, 20:03
Once she likes the heavier revolver, a 9mm Glock, like a 19, would be the way I'd go to introduce her to semiautos. They're point/shoot like a revolver. That's one thing I like about my model 23. Tho I'm still nervous about carrying it locked and loaded. Right now I'd have to rack the slide to ready to shoot. I'm still a little hinky about it going off in my purse :) and I'd feel a little better if Glocks had a manual safety.

Miao, Cat

OMEGA5
03-17-2004, 05:21
After 36yrs of marriage, I don't "force" her into anything;f I do have an update. After shooting the m36, she tried my model 38 Airweight. I'll be trading her Taurus 941 in on me a new m638 as soon as I get the chance. She's carrying my model 38 now. She liked the 14.5oz weight. So did I so I get a new 638;) I'm a die hard fan of "Old Humpy" and the 638 is +P rated.
LIFE ID GOOD:cool:

Uncle Don
03-17-2004, 05:47
Originally posted by Cat91
Once she likes the heavier revolver, a 9mm Glock, like a 19, would be the way I'd go to introduce her to semiautos. They're point/shoot like a revolver. That's one thing I like about my model 23. Tho I'm still nervous about carrying it locked and loaded. Right now I'd have to rack the slide to ready to shoot. I'm still a little hinky about it going off in my purse :) and I'd feel a little better if Glocks had a manual safety.

Miao, Cat

I think it's far better that you made the commitment to protect yourself than to not do it because you're nervous about having one in the chamber. You have two options, one is to continue in your normal fasion which is a method you share with a great many Isrealies, or you might consider the New York Trigger which would increase the trigger pull to resemble that of a double action revolver, or the first shot of a double action action semi. That may give you the security you're looking for. Most importantly, do (or don't do) whatever you're personally comfortable with.

Don

MrsKitty
03-17-2004, 18:01
Cat,

You also have a third option Don didn't mention, although some people don't like it or may be unaware of it.

There is a gizmo known as a Saf-T-Bloc that fits down behind the trigger so that you CAN carry one in the chamber which acts a an external safety of sorts. Until you manually dislodge it with your fingertip just before firing, it is more difficult to have an accidentail discharge, almost impossible. If you go this route, they cost between $10-12 so cost isn't really an issue. Just practice, practice, practice popping that little booger out so that it becomes second nature to you;)

MissKitty

Cat91
03-19-2004, 12:38
I'd heard about Saf-T-Block, and intend to get one.

It's funny. If I'm not using my purse I have no problem carrying locked and loaded. In a holster-a good one-it's tough to accidentally pull trigger. And with the 19 or 23 (the Glocks I'm used to) you have to really mean to pull trigger to fire. All the ADs I've heard of have come when someone gets stupid and pulls trigger without clearing the chamber with magazine out first.

It's hard to ditch that Army training ;) -they wouldn't let you carry locked and loaded with the M9!! And they'd only give you five rounds for each magazine, too.

Miao, Cat

MrsKitty
03-19-2004, 22:01
Well, there is all this other crap there in your purse...lipstick, chapstick, ink pens, keys, hairbows, even the corners of your wallet or checkbook could possibly snag inside the trigger guard just right and push back on the trigger while getting enough force off the side of the purse to discharge. Just a little extra security there. Better safe than sorry, you know?

I also have a purse with a generic holster that is thin but well made I have added to it which doesn't scream gun. I hate the gun purses:( And the really good ones, $350 for something I have yet to see in person?? I can buy a great itty bitty gun to hide in my bra for that!!!

Ah...the teachings of the Army...I know so many people who think like that now;a

GlockBlocker
03-20-2004, 01:38
Next step: full-auto




;e

Cat91
03-20-2004, 11:21
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Well, there is all this other crap there in your purse...lipstick, chapstick, ink pens, keys, hairbows, even the corners of your wallet or checkbook could possibly snag inside the trigger guard just right and push back on the trigger while getting enough force off the side of the purse to discharge. Just a little extra security there. Better safe than sorry, you know?

I also have a purse with a generic holster that is thin but well made I have added to it which doesn't scream gun. I hate the gun purses:( And the really good ones, $350 for something I have yet to see in person?? I can buy a great itty bitty gun to hide in my bra for that!!!

Ah...the teachings of the Army...I know so many people who think like that now;a

Mine is one of those that has the special inner pocket-it's got Velcro down the side and is lined with leather, but you're right-something pokes in too much and snags the trigger...POW! And I make Page One of the local paper. No one at work knows I'm packing heat, so it'd be a SCANDAL too. Pass.

I'm like you on these purses. I spent $50 on mine (it was sold to me by a gal who attends local gun shows-made in China-made WAY better than the price would indicate at first blush) but I tried it on my gun first. I'd like to ante up for a really good one, but $350, sight unseen?! That's nuts. It only takes a second to rack the slide-about like racking a shotgun. Most perpetrators'll be shocked by you pulling it out anyway-the advantage os surpirse ought to allow one to zip-gun it. We were actually taught to do that with 1911s in the Army. I knew a sergeant who could zip-gun off a shot from the 1911 faster than most troopers could draw and fire a locked and loaded M9.

Miao, Cat

Catbird
03-22-2004, 16:20
Originally posted by OMEGA5
...Got her loaded with 125gr Federal Nyclad HP's. Plan on easing her into +P's this summer.
I feel better now;+
Just FYI...
Federal has discontinued the 125gr. Nyclad +P HPs. If you act quickly, you can still get some from www.ammoman.com. I just received 250 rounds @ $89 delivered.

MrsKitty
03-22-2004, 21:53
Originally posted by Cat91
Mine is one of those that has the special inner pocket-it's got Velcro down the side and is lined with leather, but you're right-something pokes in too much and snags the trigger...POW! And I make Page One of the local paper. No one at work knows I'm packing heat, so it'd be a SCANDAL too. Pass.

I'm like you on these purses. I spent $50 on mine (it was sold to me by a gal who attends local gun shows-made in China-made WAY better than the price would indicate at first blush) but I tried it on my gun first. I'd like to ante up for a really good one, but $350, sight unseen?! That's nuts. It only takes a second to rack the slide-about like racking a shotgun. Most perpetrators'll be shocked by you pulling it out anyway-the advantage os surpirse ought to allow one to zip-gun it. We were actually taught to do that with 1911s in the Army. I knew a sergeant who could zip-gun off a shot from the 1911 faster than most troopers could draw and fire a locked and loaded M9.

Miao, Cat

You know, there is a quite a business opportunity here...if we could come up with a great design;)

Cat91
03-23-2004, 16:39
Frankly, I'd like to see one with its own gun pocket, with a flip-open top, not one of these side-entries. One that you can snap in a Sidearmor or other kind of regular old kydex holster with the trigger-guard, that you could just thumb-break the retaining strap off with one hand and *zing*!

Miao, Cat

MrsKitty
03-23-2004, 20:03
That is exactly what I want! And I want it in a soft leather, not some old stiff stuff. Now surely, we can't be the only two people out here in this whole big ol' world that want the exact same thing?

Cat91
03-24-2004, 21:33
Roger that.

I can't even believe no woman out there with a manufacturing "in" has thought of this.

Miao, Cat

ColoradoPacker
03-24-2004, 22:26
I'm batting 2 out of 3 on getting mine to change her mind...

First, she let's me get the kids a 22LR single shot rifle. I took the kids out Tuesday to shoot, and my daughter shot their rifle better than I shot my 9mm - she put 9 shots into 2" with a flyer opening it to 3" vs my 10 shots into 4", both at 30 feet, but then she shot the 22LR auto pistol with 10 shots into 3", while my 6 yr old son put 5 shots into 3" with the rifle ;P ;g

Second, after having shot my centenial 640 with 158gr +p about 12 years ago, the wifey poo hasn't wanted to do it again since. She tolerates my guns but doesn't like the recoil. The 22LR auto pistol has been in her car for protection, and she let me replace it with a Taurus 605 loaded with .38 hydrashock std pressure for my birthday last week. With the kids now shooting, she is considering shooting the new gun soon (she put 5 shots into 10" the one time she shot the 640). I am now tempted to take the 605 back for myself, and get her a 22 mag revolver so maybe she'll enjoy it the next time. I only loaded her up with 38's because I didn't think she'd actually shoot it except in an emergency.

Third, She will not consider a CCW like me, but she doesn't fight me carrying 1-3 pistols wherever we go. This counts as a failure.

So, I am halfway through the battle, in just 12 short years! ;a

OMEGA5
03-25-2004, 05:23
UPDATE: My wife has her CCW. Qualified with a S&W 686. I wanted her to carry a .38, either a model 36 or 38 but she really like the Taurus m941 2" .22 mag so ended up carrying that.

She works part time for a Criminal Court Judge now and I think dealing with the scum I have dealt with for a lifetime has changed her mind more than anything I did. She started with the model 36 S&W and then took my model 38 Airweight. I immediately ordered me a model 638. Same gun but +P rated. It came Saturday..;)

MrsKitty
03-26-2004, 22:16
Great news!

Let her carry what she is comfy with...anything is better than nothing, right?

reinbeau
03-31-2004, 10:46
Originally posted by misskitty5077
That is exactly what I want! And I want it in a soft leather, not some old stiff stuff. Now surely, we can't be the only two people out here in this whole big ol' world that want the exact same thing? Make that three!

MrsKitty
03-31-2004, 22:45
I guess I will get to keep on modifying a regular purse to meet my needs until somebody makes me what I want:(

Good thing I am creative...well, somewhat;)

Cat91
04-03-2004, 11:59
What I find amazing is that no one from the leading manufacturers has caught onto this thread yet!!

Good Lord-someone could make some real bucks off this! Tucker leather? Hello?

Miao, Cat