Anyone know a good logbook software? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good logbook software?

40Cal
03-15-2004, 12:30
I'm looking for a good program to use along with my logbook to keep track of my time. Anyone know a good program that's not overly expensive?

Thanks. :) ;c (But no ;c when you're going flying)

MarcDW
03-15-2004, 18:44
Safe your money and use the good old book, use only black ink and always add up everything on every line.
One thing software can't do is, CFI's can't make endorsements and so on...

Texas T
03-15-2004, 22:46
You could always duplicate your log entries in a copy of Excel. It should take you about 10 minutes to set up the columns.

40Cal
03-16-2004, 07:44
Originally posted by MarcDW
Safe your money and use the good old book, use only black ink and always add up everything on every line.
One thing software can't do is, CFI's can't make endorsements and so on...

I would never stop using the good old book, I was just thinking about using a program that would make it easier to get summaries of my time. The book is fine for the basics but it seems like everytime I apply for a new certificate or rating I end up having to go back and count up some oddball numbers because they want some strange breakdowns of time on the application. I can't think of any off the top of my head but it's stuff along the lines of "Solo-Night-Actual Instrument-Complex" or other crazy breakdowns.

Originally posted by Texas T
You could always duplicate your log entries in a copy of Excel. It should take you about 10 minutes to set up the columns.

I had thought about that, I just gotta mess with it and see if it would allow me to summarize my time like I'd want to.

Another reason I want to do this is so I have a back-up in case I lose my paper book. A friend of mine had his stolen when his car was broken into and went crazy trying to clean up that mess.

Thanks for the replies! :)

HerrGlock
03-16-2004, 08:03
A search on sourceforge brings these:

FluPP - Flight Log Software
FluPP is a Flight Log Software for Windows. FluPP 1 is only available in german. Version 2 (we are rebuilding FluPP from scratch) will be multilingual and hopefully also available for Linux. 85.33%

jFlightLog
jFlightLog is a flight logbook for MS Flight Simulator 2004. Beside flight informations, which may be importet from savegames, it also automaticaly collects screenshots from the system clipboard during flights. Java Runtime Version 1.4 or higher needed. 34.06%

eLogBook
eLogBook is an Open Source electronic flight log book for general aviaion pilots. It is written in Perl using the Gtk-Perl libraries and uses XML for data storage. I would like to solicit developmental help to expand eLogBook's capabilities...

Flight Logbook
Flight Logbook is a program to help pilots log their flying hours easily. The layout is cool and simple and the whole project is written in VB 6.0. Provides a great inside look into how to use the Active X Data Objects to connect to a database.

Flight Recorder4J
Flight Recorder4j -- A log4j appender that removes the performance penalty associated with developing debug-message intensive code.

FlightLog
Flight Log will be an open source program to allow pilots to log their flight time. It will seek to be an alternative to commercial software. It will have the ability to record flights, total times, and provide options on grouping and sorting totals.

GPLIGC
GPLIGC is a program for analysis and 3D visualization of GPS tracklogs (in igc format) as recorded by flight data recorders used by glider pilots.
FlightNet
The purpose of FlightNet is to create an advanced flight simulator based on today's technology. A major key in the project development is the usage of multi-processors systems and LAN networks to gain a high processing power.

Wulfenite
03-16-2004, 08:54
Marc,

On the piloting boards, use of a software log is generally highly recommended for people who do or aspire to get paid for piloting.

One reason is the one cited above. figuring out obscure total times. When you only fly a couple of different types a regluar book is fine but even the big commercial books dont have enough columns to separate all the potential combinations of simple, complex, high performance, turbine, land, sea, jet, 91, 141, 135, etc.

Additionally, for resume purposes the electronic book can be printed out, bound and submitted more easily than a rag, tag combination of photocopies.

Even for the little guy the electronic books will do cool stuff like notify you when you're about to need a BFR or night landings, etc.

SlimlineGlock
03-16-2004, 12:27
Some use a palm pilot to record flying data and then transfer it later to the PC.

Type in "logbook" in the search field of
http://www.palmgear.com/
for some programs. Don't know if you have a palm pilot handheld, but it is handy to carry around.

hapuna
03-16-2004, 18:38
I haven't bought it but I understand that Garmin has a package that is supposed to work with my Garmin 196 where it downloads the data automatically into a computerized logbook. Here is a link
http://www.avshop.com/catalog/addimage.html?prodimageid=4392
Looks a lot like Xcel to me.:)