Any body use Maxima fishing line? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any body use Maxima fishing line?

mudfootball
03-16-2004, 22:04
every year fishing for trout i bump a handful of guys using this stuff, they say its better (stronger and more castable, less memory) than other mono's. I will be using the two and four lb test. My question to any who use it is which one to buy they offer Chameleon, ultragreen and a pink third choice im not interested in really.
thanks
kt

f1b32oPTic
03-16-2004, 23:11
i just bought some P-Line flouro clear...it is really limp and super clear...

my favorite line all around is yozuri-hybrid
i use the 4lb. test and find it as durable as 6lb. trilene

the P-Line is clearer though

03-17-2004, 14:58
Yes, Maxima is great! I have been using it for about 15+ years. I have used it on spinning reels and as tippet material for my fly reels. I have taken huge lake trout 10+ lbs on 4lb maxima with no problems. I also use it while trolling for lakers and salmon. We use a 40 to 70 ft piece with high flash spoons and we have excellent results. It doesnt get twisted or strech as bad as the others. I like the Cameleon (spelling) color. I like the Cameleon because it takes on the color of the water you are fishing in. I would recommend Maxima line to anyone that fishes and doesnt want to deal with twisted line problems. Pound for pound it is super strong and abrasion resistent. You cant beat that.

I would also look into some Flourocarbon line. I like the Flouro beacuse you can get wicked small diamiter lines in heavier pound test ranges. EX: if you are fishing for salmon or trout and are using 8 to 10lb test the chances of the fish hitting your bait are slim VS using 6 to 10lb Flourocarbon it has the diamiter of 4 to 6lb test. It is pricy but worth the extra bucks.

Good luck.

flinch
03-19-2004, 09:54
I've used Ultragreen 2 lb test for about a decade, and it's okay for trout. I find that it tends to twist badly on micro reels, and doesn't hold up well for extended periods of time.

Seriously consider the new generation of fluorocarbon fishing line. P-Line offers much better sensitivity, smaller line diameter, and very little stretch. I can cast some ridiculous distances with 2 lb fluorocarbon, detect very gentle strikes, and deal with far less line twist.

P-Line has two drawbacks: it doesn't give a warning before the line fails, and it doesn't deal well with sudden shock. Back off your drag setting, and don't try to set the hook hard.

mudfootball
03-19-2004, 22:21
never heard of P-line, where's the place to find it, cabelas i assume, even though ONe should never assume
thanks
kt

flinch
03-19-2004, 22:49
P-Line can be purchased from the web sites of Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops.

I've used the CXX-tra Strong with mixed results. Great castability, low line diameter, good sensitivity, but breaks without warning. I only have one trip with the new Fluoroclear 4 lb test - caught three rainbows, but all managed to break the knot while I tried to release them. I'm not sure what the cause is, but will try and determine the cause.

f1b32oPTic
03-19-2004, 23:35
the yozuri hybrid is the strongest fluoro i have used plus its got almost no stretch at all, good hooksets