Q:Fletching 5" Tru-Flite [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Q:Fletching 5" Tru-Flite

noway
03-22-2004, 15:24
Hey I have some vanes that I bought at walmart ( 1 per pk of 12 for $1.00 ) and was wondering about the height of the vanes in relationship to my current setup ( 4" 3ea vanes on 1deg offset ) . The 5" vanes looks to be slighty shorter than the 4" in height. Is their any advantage with better arrow flight, even tho the vane is 1" longer but slight shorter in height and compared to the 4" vanes that I currently have ?

Also, have anybody use the vanes "Quick Spin" that NAP have been advertising? any feedback ?

CanyonMan
03-28-2004, 18:55
Noway,

Hey my friend. Well since you ain't got an answer yet, i'll hang out with ya for a while here. All i use is 'feather fletching.'
Started using it back in the 70's with recure bows, and 'still use it', cause 'for me,' it works great. I use 5" feathers that measure 1/2" wide at the nock end. To me they give 'more stability' than the shorter fletching.. this, of course, like ammunition, is up for debate i guess.

But i just never seemed to get the stability out of the shorter fletching. Keep in mind though, i do not know what you are shooting, that is what your 'set up is.'

I use recurve bows, they have ranged over the years from 70# @ 28" draw, (in my younger years), to 50, 55, and 60 #. These bows have been Bear, Martin, and one Herters, wish i still had the herters bow.

with the 60# i use easton xx75 2215's and 2216's. The 2216's 'for me,' have worked the best. All these have had a slight 'helical fletch,' at 5".

I used cedar for a while, in the begining, but switched to the easton's in the late 70's, because i had a hard time keeping arrows straight.

I suggest you look up "Three Rivers Archery" http://www.threeriversarchery.com/ They have some really good stuff, and perhaps may have some of the things you are looking for. They can sure give you the answers you seek i know.

with the above mentioned set up/s i have used, these arrows have all flown straight and true. Some people say feathers get wet when it rains and will not function properly, this has "never" been the case for me. I have never had a problem with that one at all.

Again, I do not know what you are using, compound, or recurve, weight , etc. etc. But, i do know that for my set ups, the 5" helicals have always preformed fantastic.

One of my brothers builds custom bows, (all long bows), folks have won tourneys with his bows, and he really does a very good job. Even with the long bows, the 5" fletch works real well. No problems at all.

As far as 'speed' some say they think they gain a little more with the 4" fletch, and this may be true, but even ole Fred Bear and some of the other old timers used the 5" fletch, and they seemed to have done ok. :) I would gladly sacrifice a little speed, for greater arrow flight. Again, as you already know, this depends on your set up etc.

Well, i don't know that i helped ya much, but i had a few minutes here, and saw your post, saw i thought i'd holler at ya.

Good luck, and good shooting Hoss!

CanyonMan

f1b32oPTic
03-29-2004, 00:00
i shoot 5" rt helical feathers on my easton XX78 superslams
they are great. i have noticed they are a bit noisier than vanes because you get a slight hiss when they shoot.

they however stabilize broadheads better..

here is my new setup i got in dec.
its a 2004 bowtech extreme vft set at 60lbs. 75% letoff and a 29"draw
i shoot with a winnfree flite release

the 5" plastic vanes that you are talking about should be just fine for hunting.

plus less chance of fletching to bow contact affecting flight.

the feathers are more forgiving because they naturally fold down and dont disturb the flight path like a rigid vane will.

i use feather fletching in conjunction with a trophy ridge dropzone fall away rest to ensure precise launch.

f1b32oPTic
03-29-2004, 00:01
here is a pic of the rest and sight

f1b32oPTic
03-29-2004, 00:03
archer view

silence can be deadly

noway
03-29-2004, 07:20
Thanks both f1b32oPTic and Canyonman.

The 5" vanes are shorter in height than the 4inchers that I have now, but I showed these to a guy I know that designs planes for a living, indicated the total sq/in of area would be great than the current 4" and thus provide more surface. Right now I have no flecthing clearance problems with the 4 and 5 should b okay also

The correct setup I have today ;

Browning Single Cam Compound

48lb at 27" draw ( verified with bowscale )
CarbonExpress Terminator Hunter with 125gr Muzzy Broadhead, 4" Vanes (at what I think is a 1deg offset., right winged.)
Savage Arrow Rest
Tru-Glo sight

I bought some new arrows with no vanes, and found these 5" vanes at wal-mart and figure I would try them out just for the hell of it. I was looking and still looking into the quickspin Vanes that are advertise in the Bow Hunting Magazine that NAP carrys. But for $1 for a pk of 12 vanes is not a bad investment to just try out and play with, specially when I have 12 arrows shafts naked and just asking to be setup up ;f

Got Glox??
03-29-2004, 07:59
Hey noway, i think with your draw length a 4" vane is what you should go with. However with your set up can i ask why you are using 125 gr Muzzy's? You really don't need 5" vanes because you're not flinging a telephone pole that needs stability. ;)
I shoot carbons (CE CX400) with 4" vanes but i also shoot 33" arrows (telephone poles;f ) and find no need for the 4" vane. Although my brother shoots 28" with 3" vanes with no stability problem at all.
It may be due to the use of carbon arrows, but i don't know because it's been 15 years since i have used aluminum and i think with the bigger, heavier aluminum that would call for 5".
So IMHO, sell the vanes on ebay and get some 3" or 4". You can try fletching three arrows of each vanes and see how it works.

noway
03-29-2004, 08:57
{Hey noway, i think with your draw length a 4" vane is what you should go with. However with your set up can i ask why you are using 125 gr Muzzy's? You really don't need 5" vanes because you're not flinging a telephone pole that needs stability.
I shoot carbons (CE CX400) with 4" vanes but i also shoot 33" arrows (telephone poles ) and find no need for the 4" vane. Although my brother shoots 28" with 3" vanes with no stability problem at all.
It may be due to the use of carbon arrows, but i don't know because it's been 15 years since i have used aluminum and i think with the bigger, heavier aluminum that would call for 5".
So IMHO, sell the vanes on ebay and get some 3" or 4". You can try fletching three arrows of each vanes and see how it works. }

yeah, I thought about that also. BUt for the price and just to try them out , I can't go wrong. You'll never know what works until you try it.

btw: I'm shooting 29" toothpicks with my current arrow length. The 29" flys very straight and the extra length increase the total weight of the arrow for a little bit more energy.

f1b32oPTic
03-29-2004, 11:06
i shoot a heavy arrow,

its a 28" XX78 superslam 2315

i shoot 100gr. 4 blade muzzy's with 5" feathers with a moderately hard helical.

all my buddies shoot carbon, but i like the quiet of a heavy arrow.
i have to admit though, out past 25 yards the trajectory of the carbons is about half that of my aluminums. its all a matter of practice anyways. an arrow is just a part of the equation

i feel comfortable making a 40 yard shot in the woods. (meaning: ill take it if its not gonna get any closer)

CanyonMan
03-30-2004, 13:23
Noway,

Nice set there Guy.
I also like the muzzy broadheads, and use Wasp, and Bear as well.

Looking forward to some spring turkey season now... starts April 6TH here in W. Tx. as you know. If i can get a chance to hunt, instead of guide, maybe i'll actually get one this year! :)

Good Huntin Hoss!

CanyonMan

f1b32oPTic
03-31-2004, 09:47
around here, the deer just about go 100% nocturnal when the first booms of gun season start, but a week before, they are still in there summer pattern and are at ease.
there is also way less human scent in the woods as well. the best chance at a real good deer is during archery season in NC anyways, hunting on public game land.

noway
03-31-2004, 11:34
yeap couldn't agreed anymore.

That's why I'm going to get an archery permit for this upcoming archery season and try my luck. I ve been scouting around and find does left & right during mid-day and I've easily laid low and had deer move within 10-35 yrds and for the hell of it I spooked a big doe once and I swear to god she nearly jumped out of her fur when I whent "Boo!". ;)

To bad I haven't yet to see any legal bucks with more than pencil points on their heads, :( but if the does are moving around I'm pretty sure the bucks have to be close by. Either way I have my spot picked out for the 2 days on anterless deer days that we have on one public hunting ground. I have no doubt that I WILL get a deer on that day and I don't care what size it is.