who here has had an engine out failure? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : who here has had an engine out failure?

NCSteve
03-23-2004, 09:08
Hi,
I'm working on my private pilot license right now. Of course we spend a lot of time training for engine out failures. My question is how common are these? Do most pilots experience them at some point, or is it just something we need to be prepared for in the unlikely event it happens?

Have you had an engine out? If so, how many times? Why did it fail?

Thanks,
Steve

hapuna
03-23-2004, 11:15
I don't think I've had one the way you mean but I was flying down to the 100th US Open in Monterrey CA at 8500ft over Redding when the engine stopped!!! However my insta-glider was running again within 10 seconds cause I realized that I had forgotten to switch off the right tank back to both. I instantly realized the problem switched to both hit the electric fuel pump and voila under power once again. Lost about 50ft of altitude. I must say that the engine out practice was probably helpful in that I was never worried. There were at least 4 airports in gliding range so it allowed me to focus completely on the task at hand. My wife on the other hand was not amused and was quite disturbed for the rest of the flight.:cool:

Skyhook
03-23-2004, 11:39
Three failures:
1) C-172 blew a jug during departure stall practice for my commercial lic. The shop had left a tinnerman washer loose in the intake-- the resulting break-up was dramatic.

2) Aeronca 7BCM, fuel starvation because of blockage due to leaf cutter bee activity in the fuel system.

3) American Champion 7KCAB the infamous Lyc. wrist pin plug disintegration which destroyed one piston sending metal fragments into the oil pump which then resulted in zero (0) oil pressure.

Not bad for the years spent in the air, though. Really.

M2 Carbine
03-23-2004, 19:30
I only had one complete engine stopage. A short time after flight school a National Guard Hiller quit from fuel starvation. I should have had at least another 25 minutes of fuel and the fuel gauge read a quarter but the tank was empty.
Maintenance never could find out why the engine was using too much fuel. The engine finally blew.

I've had a lot of engine failures where I was coming down but the engine was still running.

Spark plug backed out.
Several mag failures
Bell 47 engine ate a valve but ran long enough to land.
Turbine engine sucked in a plate nut and ate up the compressor blades.
Several turbine engine bearing failures.
Turbine engine blew a hole in the compressor (this one still ran good)
A number of engine chip lights.
A seal failure in a turbine engine sucked the engine oil into the combustion chamber. (the smoke screen got a lot of attention during the landing in Houston)

MarcDW
03-24-2004, 04:27
I had in an R22 on Labor Day ‘02 an engine failure. I was on an x-country and one of the valves ripped off and fell in the cylinder. Since I was 1,500 feet AGL I made a nice auto onto a soccer field and there was no other damage beside the engine itself.
The engine had 3.300 something hours down with the 2.000 hour done “in house”.

Fraser
03-24-2004, 13:12
Years ago I was aboard an Aspen Airways Convair between Aspen and Denver. Just as we crossed over the Eisenhower Tunnel we lost the port engine due to some oil line failure. Landed amidst a whole bunch of fire trucks. Oil poured out of the engine as we deplaned. Smelled to high heaven.

If I remember correctly it was a piston engine, not a turboprop.

cyriaque
03-31-2004, 20:52
one of the dumb things i did when i used to fly. ran out of gas 5 miles from the airport in a J-3 across the river from baton rouge. landed downwind on river road and careened into a fence. lesson learned.

Texas T
04-02-2004, 10:30
Originally posted by Skyhook
3) American Champion 7KCAB the infamous Lyc. wrist pin plug disintegration which destroyed one piston sending metal fragments into the oil pump which then resulted in zero (0) oil pressure. The American Champion Citabria is featured on the cover of this month's AOPA Pilot. Looks like a lot of fun.

Skyhook
04-02-2004, 10:55
Yeah, T, it is a lot of fun. One could not ask for a more predictable and forgiving acft.
If and when the nervous system slows down a bit, I'll move away from the Pitts & RV-4 combo and re-do the Citabria experience.
My first commercial job was towing banners and sail planes (that's where I got the nickname 'Skyhook')in Citabrias. I like the idea of the O-360 being available in them now. Put that engine on the front, add spades and inverted oil/gas, and you'd be hard put to have more fun with any machine, that is.:cool: ;c

Fast Glass
04-02-2004, 22:02
Only ones I have are in turbine a/c.
Mostly DC-8, 707, and L-1011.
Most of the time they were related to loss of oil pressure/ quantity. Others were related to engine vibration. A few to injestion of ice causing vibration, and failure. And a couple to plain old failure of the turbine spitting blades.
Nothing as serious as a single engine a/c losing an engine, but fun none the less. Not much you can do when your over the Pacific or Atlantic when it happens except to keep flying home, or wherever your heading.

podwich
04-09-2004, 18:34
How about the opposite: I was flying with my dad when the throttle cable got stuck wide open. Didn't want to kill it for a landing in case we needed it to go around or something. Try landing with the engine going full blast. :) Anyway, we ended up leaning it out as much as we could and adjusting the prop pitch. We also found the longest runway in the area-Duluth, MN. I think it's like 10,000 ft or something IIRC. On the way there, we were asked if we wanted them to roll the trucks-not a good feeling.

Anyway, we landed fine and all. Turns out one of the strands of the cable broke and poked through the surrounding guide, preventing movement toward idle. All's well that ends well, though. :)

hapuna
04-09-2004, 18:44
Podwich,
You can also rob some power by throwing it over to 1 mag. I think the leaning trick is the key though.

nu2carry
04-09-2004, 19:11
Had 3 in 15 years of flying. 2 were catastrophic and one was partial.

The 2 that were really bad had no warning; one of them was a complete blown engine with oil that spewed all over the windshield and side windows as well. Landing was a chore.

One of the catastrophic failures was in a rental when I was learning to fly, the other was in a friend’s plane and the third was in the second plane I owned that had 1750 SMOH.

Lots of time and training will pull you thru just about anything. There are some guys with lots of time here and they are real good with sharing.

What I always try to remember is that I am piloting an aircraft in an extremely hostile environment with an engine that is constantly trying to rip itself apart and factors that put odds against you, so stay on your toes!

The rewards are so worth it! Risk is manageable. Being PIC is being Master and Commander at the helm and there are not many things left in this world that give you that kind of freedom with a view that is without equal!

Skyhook
04-10-2004, 03:08
When practicing for my commercial I had to accomplish several hours of flight pinky- and real-dark time. Just before my checkride, my instructor asked if I had any last-minute questions.. I told him that, yes, I did. I wondered what procedures he would recommend for engine-out (E-O) at night over wild country..
He asked if I could recite the usual/standard E-O routine.. I did. Then he said, "You do the very same things at night with one exception.. Keep your eye on the altimeter and since you would know the elevation (roughly) of the territory you're overflying, wait until you are about 300' above the ground and turn on your landing light. If you like what you see, land straight ahead, if you don't like what you see, turn off the light.";g ;f

Wulfenite
04-11-2004, 22:37
http://studentpilot.com/interact/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12600

There's a good one. Sounds like a pretty talented CFI.

M2 Carbine
04-12-2004, 06:36
That reminds me of a fixed wing student I had in the 60's.
Mr. Park was a South Korean that was working on his FW and helicopter rating in hopes of getting a maintenance test pilot job at Southern Airways (Fort Wolters).

One day, as a fairly new S. Korean Airforce student, he was taking off solo in an AT-6 Texan.
On climb out (over water) the prop shaft broke.

He said,
They tell me, engine failure, never turn back to runway, you crash before you get back to runway.
I over water, I have to turn back to runway.
I make it back to runway.
They give me award.
My instructor hit me for not following instructions.

We figure the loss of the heavy prop and some damned good flying got him back.^c

stealthfixr
04-12-2004, 21:31
About 3000' AGL and about 5 miles from our local airport, the drone of the engine faded away and I was left silence. I had a radio, but did not make any distress call, nor was I really upset by the whole thing. After a gentle glide back to the traffic pattern, I called downwind and landed uneventfully. It was no problem at all--nothing to be afraid of. In fact, I've done it hundreds of times. I might have forgotten to mention that I was in a Grob G103A sailplane! Loosing an engine is an every flight thing for a glider pilot.

Cowboys of the sky--give it a try!