Hunting Black Bear with Buck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Black Bear with Buck

noway
03-24-2004, 15:33
(First off this is not a thread on what to use for bear, and second it is a Black bear )

I was showing some friends of mine my shotgun ammo and one of the guy was reading the box label of the remington Express Buck and they list deer and BlackBear on the label with Black Bear reccommendation 4 buckshot sizing of 000 or 00 or 0. How many of you have actually shot a black bear with buck?

what was the distance and where did you place the shot at ?

Michigun
03-25-2004, 12:21
I call it “buckwoundingshot”!

I’d call it “bearpissedoffshot”, but I’ve never heard of anyone trying to use it for bear. ;)

Sixgun_Symphony
03-25-2004, 16:21
Blackbear are usually pretty small. I would not hesitate to use buckshot for a blackie when the range is under thirty yards.

Buckshot enters into the body in a large mass, then the pellets spread out once inside the body. You can destroy the the heart & lungs this way.

kenny31
03-28-2004, 21:30
I read somewheres that a 000 pellet is the equivalent of a .38 special. (Don't quote me on that, I don't have a source)

I can see using buckshot if you had a treed bear or sitting on a stand...........but I think I would stay with a rifle nevertheless. I use a 30-30 when I hunt bear, however, I carry a modified 870 with me if I hike into the back country. Black bears are not the beasts that they are often made out to be.

noway
03-29-2004, 08:23
{Black bears are not the beasts that they are often made out to be. }

You ain't lying here on that one. From this site and forum, you get the impression from most people that the Black Bear is the deadliest bear on planet earth and you need nothing shy of a RPG to take one down.

kenny31
03-29-2004, 13:12
One time a yearling got into my packsack after I set it down next to a lake. I didn't have a gun or anything, but i wasn't going to let that little sob get my 3 fish that were in there. He got a firm kick in the ass and ran like hell. The only thing he got away with was a milky way bar. Poor sucker probably left a streak for a couple days.

The only thing I'd be worried about with bears is coming across a gut pile during early elk archery season. Most bears around here remind me of small dogs. And they smell like them too!

cariboo_kid
03-30-2004, 19:11
Yeah they are small around here too, buckshot would certainly do the trick. Heck, 9mm probably would.

I still wouldn't want to go hand-to-hand with the 1 in 1000 that decides to rumble with humans though... they are usually very docile but still capable of a lot of destruction.

Alaskan
03-30-2004, 23:38
I have never shot a bear, but nobody I know would shoot a black bear with pellets. When using a shotgun most people prefer slugs.

Brown/griz bears have been responsible for most of the bear attacks up here. Black bears have killed a hand full of people in the past few years though.

cariboo_kid
03-31-2004, 10:21
I think Alaska has larger bears in general than we get down here...

Rocnerd
04-01-2004, 12:26
Why hunt black bear? Is it just for the mount or is bear meat good?

noway
04-01-2004, 12:36
Both and bear meat is not that much better than wild pork and nowhere as tasty as Vension or Buffalo. Kinda stringy and greasy.

Michigun
04-01-2004, 13:17
Originally posted by Rocnerd
Why hunt black bear? Is it just for the mount or is bear meat good?

Not that it is my only reason for hunting black bear, but I find bear meat VERY good... all in the way it's prepared I guess as noway's statement seems to be the norm up here as well. I've had black bear on several occasions, but the same person has always prepared it... he's a darn fine cook!

noway
04-01-2004, 14:53
I haven't hunt bear or any type but wouldn't mind.

{ but I find bear meat VERY good... all in the way it's prepared I guess as noway's statement seems to be the norm up here as well }

I think most of the fat and oil in the meat is due to the time frame of when the bear is being hunted down and it is trying to put on weight/fat for the winter hibernation ( i.e typical fall hunting season ). I had neighbor who parents hunted bear in theirs home state of PA and they used to give me alot of bear meat, they also hunted bear in Northern & Central Canada in the spring and the bear meat was a whole more tasty and less fat ,which they said was due to the bear hibernation or deep sleep and burning this stuff up.

Don't know if that's all 100% true but it kinda makes some sense.

bustedknee
04-08-2004, 11:05
I shot a big boar blackie at about 15 feet with #1 Buckshot, 2 and 3/4" shell. (20 pellets of 30 cal each)
I shot him in the face as he was charging.
Dropped in his tracks.
His head was like a bag of blocks.

Black Bear is excellent eating if taken at the right time and if properly taken care of.

noway
04-08-2004, 12:13
That's good information. A friend of mine invited me up to Northern Ga to shoot bear last november one of the guys bag his one bear with a single round of 12ga with 000 and did about the same as you, in the face and neck area.
I might try to get time away from work and head open to GA or TN for bear this year.

bassman-dan
04-28-2004, 03:19
I would recommend patterning your shotgun using the size/brand of buckshot you intend to use.
You may be surpised at the limited range.

AK_Stick
04-29-2004, 03:18
I took a med sized black bear two years ago with 3 rounds of 00 buck.

he was about 350-400 lbs, and at 20 yds when I tagged him with the first round, it rolled him over, he started to get back up and I gave him numbers 2 and 3.

He tore off, and fell just short of the wood line, I traded my 12 ga for my 375 and shot him in the skull just to be sure he wasn't getting up, but he was dead as sin when we found him. the buck was out of my 18in barreld 500 and it devistated the heart and both lungs on him, I hate to say it, but it may have been more effective than my 375 would have been, less energy, but every seperate round cut its own hole and made a mess of his insides.

bassman-dan
04-30-2004, 02:05
I am not surprised that the 00 buck was effective at 20 yards. Its when hunters try to extend their shots past about 40-50 yards for 00 that they run into problems. I have found that smaller buckshot will be effective at even shorter distances.
I have seen a lot of people using #4 buckshot (not to be confused with #4 birdshot which is quite a bit smaller) since a given shotshell will hold a lot more #4 buck than it will 00. As you probably know, the smaller #4 buckshot doesn't retain energy as well as the larger 00, so its effective range will be quite a bit less--probably 25 yards or less.
There have been so many deer wounded and lost with buckshot on some area federal lands, that they now forbid its use in the yearly lottery hunts at some National Wildlife Refuges around here. It seems that the majority of hunters that I talk to aren't aware of the effective range of the particular buckshot size that they are using. Also, generally speaking, they don't seem to be as good at judging distances as the average bowhunter.
Be that as it may, buckshot can certainly be a good hunting or self defense round when used at prudent distances.