Korea 1952 (pics) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Korea 1952 (pics)

Texas T
03-30-2004, 18:10
Dad and crew based out of Yakota Japan IIRC. He's the third one on the right.

Texas T
03-30-2004, 18:11
In his cold weather flight gear. Not a very good picture.

Texas T
03-30-2004, 18:15
Wearing his "Hell From The Heavens" 344th Bomb Sqdn silk scarf. It hangs on the bookcase right behind me.

Texas T
03-30-2004, 18:16
Closeup of the scarf.

Texas T
03-30-2004, 18:18
His "Get of out jail free" card.

Texas T
03-30-2004, 18:19
Back side of the card with translation.

Texas T
03-30-2004, 18:20
He flew both propaganda and regular bombing missions. Here is the front of one of the propaganda leaflets showing that Stalin is just the puppet master.

Texas T
03-30-2004, 18:21
Back side of the leaflet. I've got the translation packed away somewhere, but can't recall where at the momemt. :)

M2 Carbine
03-30-2004, 19:19
Thanks for showing the pictures T.:cool:

Man that B29 had a big crew.
What was your Dad's job?

I wonder, could the Migs get up to the B29's altitude?

Texas T
03-30-2004, 20:05
My dad was the airborne radio operator. He retired in 68 as the NCOIC of combat tactical air freqs for SE Asia, 3rd Air Div, Andersen AFB Guam. We did two tours there; 61-63 and 65-68. When he retired we moved off-base and he went to work for Univac.

I don't know about the Migs. He passed away when I was only 15 so I never had a chance to talk war stories with him.

The guy 5th from the end on the left is a friend of the family to this day and when I hit Tucson next month I may stop in and say hello. His wife and my mom were pregnant at the same time, and the girl they had and I are still friends too. :)

Somewhere I've got the aerial photographs of the bombs as they hit. If I come across them I'll scan and post them. I've also got lots of "scrapbook" news stories of the bomb sorties; damage assessments and the like. I guess I take after my dad as I'm a real packrat too and never throw stuff out. :)

M2 Carbine
03-30-2004, 22:07
Sorry about your Dad T.
I would think 15 would be a tough age for a boy to lose his father.

My father died when I was pretty young, shot himself.
I was too young to know him very well.

I'de like to see those other pictures.:)

Texas T
03-30-2004, 22:44
Originally posted by M2 Carbine
I'de like to see those other pictures.:) I pulled out the scrapbook. The actual bombing photos aren't in there, but there are numerous newspaper clippings about the sorties; probably from the Army Times paper.

A correction on the time... one of the photos has March 1953 written on the back so I was off by a year, but it was taken at Yakota Field so I had that much right.

The clippings indicate that much of the bombing was done at night and there is little to no indication that any of the Mig 15's were up there to play with them. Looks like most of the Mig kills were during the daylight hours and went down at the hands of pilots in Sabres. It appears that the B-26's flew some daylight missions but the majority of the Superfort missions were at night.

Found another picture of my dad wearing a ball cap with ECM on the front so I don't know if that was something he did in addition to the RO position or if he performed both roles.

Got a couple of shots of some nose art so maybe one of these days I'll get around to scanning those as well. I gave a whole lot of nose art photos to an older friend back in the 80's and never got them back. Too late now as I think he's passed away and I've not been able to get in touch with his family.

I've got a few shots of him in Vietnam, some shots of some Air America craft at Nha Trang and Taipei, some Sandys, AC-47 "Puff", etc. He wasn't on a lot of different aircraft over the years... KC-97, Connies, B-29, EC-135 Looking Glass, and B-52. There may have been others, but these are the only ones I'm aware of.

He made one B-52 mission a month just to get his air combat pay. My mom didn't like him going but didn't object to the extra money. :)

Our Base Commander made one last flight three days before he was to rotate stateside and never came back.

Texas T
04-13-2004, 16:00
M2,

Go to this page and you will see some of the nose art that I once had pictures of. His are in color while the ones my dad took were in B&W, but I recognized some of the art work.

My dad's bomb group sign is the one in the middle at the top of the page.

http://users.erols.com/mtlong/korea.html

Texas T
04-13-2004, 16:20
The 344th was part of the 98th Bomb Wing and here is some short Korean War era history. M2, your question about Migs is answered at the end...

In early 1950, the 98th was alerted for permanent change of stations to Ramey AFB, Puerto Rico. However, before the move was completed, the Korean conflict broke out and the 98th arrived at Yokota Air Base, Japan in the first week of August 1950, flying their first mission to Korea on 7 August. Although the 98th was designated as a wing, it continued to operate as a group until 1951 when it was staffed as a wing.

The 98th continued to fly against the North Korean Communist until the cease fire in 1953. Remaining at Yokota until July 1954. The 98th returned their B-29s and personnel to the U.S. in July 1954.

From August 1950 to July 1953, the 98th flew more than 5,000 sorties and dropped more than 40,000 tons of bombs (actual total unavailable). They earned 10 battle streamers and two Outstanding Unit Awards which are comparable to the Presidential Unit Citation. They also received the South Korean Presidential Citation. The 98th was credited with the destruction of 5 MiG 15 Jet Fighters and one propeller driven fighter. The 98th recorded 19 B-29 losses from August 1950 to July 1954

Washington,D.C.
04-13-2004, 18:05
My dad was a radio operator on a Marine Corps patrol bomber in the Korean War.He never talked much about the war.He did tell me the leather flight gear and wool underwear they wear issued was not warm enough.He said that the Migs would come out of nowhere.The Migs were on them before they ever saw them.They had 10 or 12 50 caliber guns on the plane.He said they saw more propeller planes than jets.Once they lost the hydralics from the landing gear and they had to hand-crank the wheels down.He said that took a long time to do.The Marine bombers were made at the end of WWII but after the end of WWII were put in moth balls and were in rotting condition at the beginning of the Korean War.The fuel tanks were in the top of the fuselage and fuel would run down inside.The only photos I have of him at that time are black and white.They dropped flares for the troops on the ground at night more than bombs I think.My grandfather quit school,lied about his age and joined the Army during WWI.He was an Army cook in the Army air corps.It became his career and when the Air Force was formed he was asked if he wanted to stay in the Army or be in the Air Force.He chose the Air Force because they got to fly when they traveled.He served more than 30 years.My grandmother has never been in a plane but goes to Air Force hospital.

Washington,D.C.
04-13-2004, 19:01
My dad was in Marine Reconnaissance Squadron.here is a pic of a Consolidated PB4Y2.I think crew was 12 men.

Washington,D.C.
04-13-2004, 20:47
In Korea the Sikorsky HRS demonstrated how the helicopter could change the face of a battlefield. On September 13, 1951, under the codename Operation Windmill I, HRS helicopters of HMR-161 flew history's first combat resupply mission, delivering 18,848 lbs. of cargo to ground troops over seven miles of rough terrain. Eight days later, this time as part of Operation Summit, the squadron carried 224 troops and 17,772 lbs. of cargo in relief of Republic of Korea troops on Hill 884. It was the first helicopter landing of a combat unit in history. In this photograph, an HRS-1 of HMR-161 flies to a designated patrol area to disembark marines of a patrol.

Texas T
04-13-2004, 20:58
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
My dad was in Marine Reconnaissance Squadron.here is a pic of a Consolidated PB4Y2.I think crew was 12 men. Great photo.

04-13-2004, 21:00
Nice pictures guys. Thanks for sharing.:)

M2 Carbine
04-20-2004, 00:34
Very interesting information guys and cool pictures.
I like that old aviation stuff and especially about the men involved.:)

Washington,

the info and picture of the Sikorsky brings back memories.

We were still flying it in the 60's.
The Army called it the H19C & D.

I trained in it at Fort Rucker, Alabama and flew it in the Guard.
What a big tank.
As I remember it was 63 feet from end to end.

This picture is when 4 of us Maryland National Guard pilots were fixing to fly a couple H19's from Ft Rucker back to Maryland.
The Army was giving them to the Guard and Reserve units.

http://img44.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/H19D.jpg

I'm sitting in the pilot's seat of the 2nd H19 taking the above picture.

This is what my H19 looked like a few months later.
I'll tell what happened in "There I was" first chance I get.

http://img44.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/H19_crash_overhead.jpg

TangoUniform
04-27-2004, 15:24
can you imagine the feathers that would get ruffled today for the old nose art?

great pics!

Texas T
04-27-2004, 17:02
I'm pretty sure that during Desert Storm there was a lot of nose art, but I don't know about today. Also, I doubt seriously if there were very many scantily clad ladies adorning the fuselages of the B-52's. And now that we have "wimmins" on the flight decks for reasons other than delivering coffee, they would probably want to paint a Chipindale's dancer just to get even with us. :)

Dig
04-27-2004, 19:14
Wow. awesome pics and great info! thx for posting everyone!

proud to say I was in HMM-161 from 96-99. Still known as "The First" as a tribute to HMR-161.