Pop Quiz: What’s The Problem With This Picture! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pop Quiz: What’s The Problem With This Picture!

Michigun
04-01-2004, 10:37
For my fellow GT bow hunters… can you find the problem with the below picture? (Even the gun hunters should be able to see it! ;))

(Sorry, my picture posting provider is having problems… had to use GT to post it.)

noway
04-01-2004, 10:54
Other than the fact that the archer miss ( based on air trails ) or the fact that they show what seems to be a wound ( exit ) on the right side of the neck? Surely not by the arrow shown in the photo.

knuckle dragger
04-01-2004, 11:51
I think its the fact of shooting a animal while in water...

rbielak
04-01-2004, 11:55
Hmmm ... looks pretty DARK outside in that picture ... :)

THE WILDLIFE CONSERVATION ORDER
Section 8, Act 256 of the Public Acts of 1988
MCL 300.258 of the Michigan Compiled Laws

2.5 Hunting hours, exceptions; prohibited activities.

Sec. 2.5. (1) Except for the trapping of animals and as otherwise specified in this section, the hunting hours shall substantially conform to one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset and shall be those starting times and ending times published in the Michigan hunting and trapping guide or in the respective state hunting guide for that animal.

(abridged to save you the hassle of reading the entire section) :)

noway
04-01-2004, 12:15
{I think its the fact of shooting a animal while in water... }

If the above statement was true then practicaly nobody in south florida could hunt since 99% of the area in covered by 6" to 18" of water, if not more.

FWIW: most states allow you to shoot deer standing in water just not swimming.

d0truji
04-01-2004, 12:57

mhambi
04-01-2004, 13:04
that shot is bad mojo.

shoot it in the butt while it's running away from you, at night?

plus the broken fence post marks the beginning private property, where you don't have permission to go. ;)

Michigun
04-01-2004, 13:09
Some GREAT observations so far, but I think you guys are making it harder then it really is... a few more guesses & I'll share my "problem" with it. ;)

(You can shoot game in water, just can’t shoot game in the water that they’re swimming through.)

P.S. One of you is REAL close! :)

engineer151515
04-01-2004, 13:15
How about the fact that the hunter is shooting in a foggy area.

I wonder if he identified that target!

noway
04-01-2004, 14:17
{Deer can swim???}

yes they swim mighty good. Most 4 legged animals in the wild can swim and does a good job at it.

Michigun
04-01-2004, 14:43
Okay, this is, IMO, the main problem with the above picture:

What the heck was that make-believe bow hunter shooting at? (No need to even get into the “shooting at game while they’re on the run/move” thing, that one is fairly small beans compared to taking that kind of shot... even if that deer was perfectly still & unaware of any danger!)

With the arrow trajectory given, that make-believe bow hunter was apparently going for a “spine shot” & if he/she missed (which they did) that mark he/she would have had to hope that the arrow would cut one of the main arteries (very small in DIA & pretty darn resistant) running up the neck, on either side of the spinal column. VERY risky, if it isn’t perfect then you have a wounded deer. On top of that, even if you hit 1 of the vertebras there is no guarantee it’ll penetrate enough to hit/sever the spinal cord it protects.

With that kind of “spine shot”, with a bow & arrow, you’re hoping to hit one of the disks in between 2 of the vertebras… you’d also want to hit it perfectly in the middle, strait on, so it’s roundness won’t deflect the arrow to one side or the other. Basically your target (This ‘target’ is YARDS out & at a FULL run… then factor in the “shooting conditions” as many of you mentioned above!) is the size of a No.2 pencil!

Found the above picture (it’s actually a copy of a painting) in my 2004 calendar (I didn’t preview all the pictures when I received it.) when I flipped it to April today… though it would be a good discussion here. It’s just something I noticed, I’m not offended by it… I’m not the type to “write letters” about this kind of stuff, but thought it would be fun to poke at here.

noway
04-01-2004, 15:04
Oh, that was the pop quiz?

I was thinking something actually wrong with the "picture" and not the hunter method and shoot location as to what/where he was trying to hit the deer at.

A hunter shooting a deer ( bow or gun ) under full throttle is mighty lucky or stupid in my opinion.

04-01-2004, 15:54
I dont know if this is right, but the reflection in the water is different from the actual animal (especially the neck part).

halfmoonclip
04-01-2004, 19:48
What is hard to judge from the picture is the actual trajectory of the arrow. Is it moving parallel to the deer's path (what Michigun is saying) making a from the rear neck shot, or is it quartering across the deer's body from the far side? The latter would be a better shot than what Michigun is describing, because it could be the classic heart/lung shot from behind the off shoulder...if the shot wasn't so high! Bad shot, bad choice of shot...
The arrow also appears to be travelling parallel to the ground...where was the hunter standing? Surely not in a tree stand? Are his feet wet?
The pic does lend itself to a lot of speculation.
Moon

mike from philly
04-01-2004, 19:52
I thought you meant that the deer had no-manhood but had horns

f1b32oPTic
04-01-2004, 19:57
michigun, i was going to answer that man!!!

let your thread take its course, i knew it was the redneck shot that someone is taking at the running deer hoping for any hit on the body

Michigun
04-01-2004, 20:26
Originally posted by halfmoonclip
What is hard to judge from the picture is the actual trajectory of the arrow. Is it moving parallel to the deer's path (what Michigun is saying) making a from the rear neck shot, or is it quartering across the deer's body from the far side? The latter would be a better shot than what Michigun is describing, because it could be the classic heart/lung shot from behind the off shoulder...

It very well could be that the artist was going for your later thought on the trajectory...

Here’s a crude “paint” drawing that I tossed together... [viewed from the top] the left side is what I saw (it looked to me that the arrow's "wake" was in the foreground & the deer's tail was in the background) when I looked at the painting & the right side is what halfmoonclip is saying was the possible intent of the artist:

halfmoonclip
04-01-2004, 22:21
Michigun-
Perzactly!
Your drawings show both possibilities, just as clear as a thing might be.
Now, where was the hunter that fired the shot?
We've had some fun with this strand.
Moon