CCW while bowhunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW while bowhunting

mudfootball
04-01-2004, 22:46
Here in PA it is illegal to carry a piece while bowhunting but as it turns out 50% of the bowhunters i know do carry a handgun. Here in the Populated South east corner I have run into a few shady people and have wished i did have a peice. Last year for one, we were hunting a small woods that borders a housing project and when we came out of the woods, a few good-for-nothings were around the truck, now its getting dark and one is in the bed of the pick up and the other is looking in at our empty bowcases. One whistle and they took there time, but left. Would have felt good on a few occasions to be carrying. Any how what do you think, is it worth breaking the game law?
kt
PS I could find some other spots huh? that one just happens to be very convenient

f1b32oPTic
04-01-2004, 23:18
i too would like to be able to carry when on public game lands...

when i was pulling my kayak out of the lake a couple weeks ago, there was nobody around in a real desolate area..i had to load my 17 footer up all by my self and break down all the fishing gear in the dark...i felt weird as if i was being watched the whole time...i wish i had my g22 with me at the time atleast...i dunno, it was just one of those weird feelings

Garweh
04-02-2004, 07:16
Illegal in New York also, however my Glock27 or Taurus PT22 is always with me in the woods. Many coyotes that are unafraid of people, reports of coyotes stalking hunters. Even though it is illegal, many ENCON officers ignore the law as long as you are carrying concealed. Agree with the concern about the 2-legged varmints, it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Big_Jim
04-02-2004, 08:36
I have heard that there is legislation here in Michigan to allow CCW holders to carry while hunting all game, but I haven't heard anything anything further.
I usually "DO NOT" carry a hammerless S&W 38 while bowhunting. On occassion I have not carried my G27 either.
Although the past few years I haven't done a lot of bowhunting because I am quite active in IDPA and most of my weekends in the woods are scouting for the rifle deer season. I plan to do more bowhunting this year.

LtTripMD
04-02-2004, 09:04
i'm not an avid hunter. i get out very rarely, but when i do go (bow or otherwise) a pistol always goes with me.

as a previous poster mentioned, it is illegal in NY, but that about the dumbest law i've ever heard of. my permit lets me carry in a grocery store, but not in the woods? whatever.

maybe i'm more glib about it because i've never run into a game commission person. from my persepctive it's a retarded rule that is also nearly unenforceable.

bottomline, i carry while hunting and would never hunt any other way.

trip.

Michigun
04-02-2004, 10:31
Currently the Michigan DNR says that I can’t CCW while bow hunting… I say “concealed is concealed”… ;)

repete34
04-03-2004, 14:16
If you keep it concealed how will the know anything differnt? If you need it who cares what they say. But you better really need it if you use it!

fabricator
04-03-2004, 14:21
Originally posted by Big_Jim
I have heard that there is legislation here in Michigan to allow CCW holders to carry while hunting all game, but I haven't heard anything anything further.
I usually "DO NOT" carry a hammerless S&W 38 while bowhunting. On occassion I have not carried my G27 either.
Although the past few years I haven't done a lot of bowhunting because I am quite active in IDPA and most of my weekends in the woods are scouting for the rifle deer season. I plan to do more bowhunting this year.

As far as I know it is now legal in MI to carry any time while hunting, as long as you do not use it on anything that it is prohibited for, example, it would not be allowed to finish off a wounded deer shot with a bow.

Big_Jim
04-03-2004, 16:18
Originally posted by fabricator
As far as I know it is now legal in MI to carry any time while hunting, as long as you do not use it on anything that it is prohibited for, example, it would not be allowed to finish off a wounded deer shot with a bow.

That would be way cool. Do you know where I could look it up and see for myself, I'd like to read the regulations. That sure would make life a little easier.

fabricator
04-03-2004, 16:56
Originally posted by Big_Jim
That would be way cool. Do you know where I could look it up and see for myself, I'd like to read the regulations. That sure would make life a little easier.

I havent read it anywhere yet, just heard it friday from a CO, he said it was a done deal.

sarge
04-03-2004, 19:26
Any time I am in the woods, the G27 is with me. I wish I had a dollar for every mile it has ridden.

Our laws are the same, no gun when bowhunting. Like the others have said, concealed is concealed.

ithaca_deerslayer
04-06-2004, 15:06
Originally posted by LtTripMD

as a previous poster mentioned, it is illegal in NY, but that about the dumbest law i've ever heard of. my permit lets me carry in a grocery store, but not in the woods?

There is nothing illogical about the law. They (DEC) don't want you to have a gun on you if you are bowhunting. Some people would be shooting the deer, and then sticking arrows in the holes. Of course, those same people don't obey the laws. But by not allowing guns, then can assume anyone bowhunting while carrying a gun is up to no good.

However I also agree with the previous poster that if you carry CCW then nothing is likely to happen, unless you draw attention to yourself by breaking other laws.

ithaca_deerslayer
04-06-2004, 15:08
Originally posted by fabricator

That's an even better approach than NY's of not letting you having the gun with you in the first place while bowhunting.

Roger C
04-06-2004, 15:18
Same here in Virginia - it is illegal to carry a handgun, concealed or otherwise, while hunting, unless that handgun is OK for the game you are hunting. So, pack that .44, but leave the J-frame at home.

stk10767
04-10-2004, 15:35
I hunt often in the same town where I work. My job has a Rule that I must be armed at all times while in town, so my G27 is always with me while Bowhunting.

TJC
04-11-2004, 09:20
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d

Me too stk10767

NYGunman
04-16-2004, 12:00
Originally posted by Garweh
Illegal in New York also, however my Glock27 or Taurus PT22 is always with me in the woods. Many coyotes that are unafraid of people, reports of coyotes stalking hunters. Even though it is illegal, many ENCON officers ignore the law as long as you are carrying concealed. Agree with the concern about the 2-legged varmints, it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6... Same here. I carry my XD 40 with me. I know the that it is illegal but I don't care. There are too many wierd people out in the sticks.

Unfortunatly some conservation officers will pat you down and check your packs. Whatever happened to to the ammendment against illegal search and seizures?

locnload
04-21-2004, 12:50
I'll have to check with the DOW here in Colorado to be certain, but the game laws say you may carry a handgun while hunting only if it is not concealed. This creats a problem as most of my hunting is done when a large heavy parka is the uniform of the day. Its difficult to keep a handgun in the open even if you want to. I have operated under the assumption that my CCW exempts me from that rule but I'm really not sure. Our CCW requires that we advise any LE officer that we are carrying concealed. A game warden is an LE officer so if I comply and let him know about the G19 under my coat, is he going to cite me for violating hunting laws? Guess I'd better do some more research. But,I WILL NOT go affield without a handgun on board.;g

AK_Stick
04-28-2004, 16:40
Man I love AK, we can ccw, without a permit aslong as we are out of town, we can also carry a pistol during any hunting season, rifle, bow, shotgun or black powder.

J.P.
05-01-2004, 09:22
In OK you can only carry a pistol while bowhunting if you have a CHL.I always carry.

Mud
05-03-2004, 14:04
NyGunman a pat down is not a violation of the fourth ammendmet

im not too sure about the searching your pac tho