Hiking Boot questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Boot questions

Bowser
04-05-2004, 20:02
As a lot of my hunting involves trying to run up or down pretty rocky terrain, and up and down small rivers on the side of a hill (with very slippery rock and moss), can someone be so kind as to recommend a boot with suitable "soul"?

Thank you.

CanyonMan
04-06-2004, 00:03
There are a host of good boots out there, but you might look at "Danner" brand boots. They are more costly, but the boot is high quality, and the vibram sole is what you want. Also a boot with "Gortex" so your feet don't get wet! :)

HTH!

Bass pro shop, and i believe cabelas carry them. I have a pair, and they will last for years and years of very rugged use!

Good Luck!

CanyonMan

hwyhobo
04-06-2004, 00:47
Originally posted by Bowser
As a lot of my hunting involves trying to run up or down pretty rocky terrain, and up and down small rivers on the side of a hill (with very slippery rock and moss), can someone be so kind as to recommend a boot with suitable "soul"?I strongly recommend you pick up the latest issue of the Backpacker. It's the "gear review" issue. Lots of hiking boots for various applications. Check it out.

mpol777
04-06-2004, 00:53
Asolo brand boots are top notch in my opinion. They're pricey, but mine have lasted almost 2 years and are still in good shape. With all of the jagged rocks out here in AZ that's a very long time. It's my first pair of boots since I've been out here that's lasted more than a year.

Rocnerd
04-06-2004, 07:21
I second the recommendation for Danner. I have had two pair and one pair of Vasque in between. The Vasque boots died in about 3-4 years, while the first pair of Danners were around for 7-8 years and the second pair is still like new after 4-5 years (though I haven' been backpacking as much these last two years). To be fair the Vasque boots did most of their hiking in South-Western Montana over a lot of limestone which ate up the soles, but they weren't Vibram. The first pair of Danners were used in Northern NM for about 300 miles or so go up and down the mountains in Philmont Scout Ranch. This second pair of Danners have stayed mostly in the northeast (NY - Adirondacks/Catskills, NH - White Mountains (a lot), VT - Green Mountains, FL - Everglades). Check them out. http://www.danner.com/

Spentshell
04-06-2004, 08:47
Danner.

Ned Ludd
04-06-2004, 09:49
I like Danner and Vasque, but I love the boots I have now. They are made by Ecco and can be found on Zappos (http://www.zappos.com/welcome2.zhtml) .
Here are the boots (http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/553404/c/126.html)
The are very waterproof, light, grippy soles and offer much more support than you would think just looking at them.

-NL

TommyG19
04-06-2004, 12:12
Vasque Sundowners. I don't think I'll ever own a different brand.

It might just depend on what fits your foot.

mrdoright04/05
04-06-2004, 14:23
I have always liked Hi Tec Magnums.

Bowser
04-07-2004, 03:07
Thanks everyone for the replies.

repete34
04-07-2004, 21:22
Danner's were my choice and still are. I have worn them hunting and in the Army Infantry for several years. I have hiked miles in them, snow water up, down, running walking. They are GREAT boots. You may also look at plain leather Army boots and haver a "ripple" sole put on them. They are soft soles but work better than anything I have ever tried and I have used alot of boots. Because they are soft they don't last long on road surfaces, but for climbing and running they are the best!

Barth Boffo
04-08-2004, 14:26
Vasque

MrMunster
04-08-2004, 15:35
Every boot has a purpose and I have yet to find one that does everything.

If you want a light duty hunting boot, go with the ecco's. I've burned through the soles on 2 pairs and have not regretted the expense.

If you want a serious cold weather, mud/snow/marsh hunting boot, go with the Danner.

If you want a hiking boot (one with added stability when carrying loads), go with Vasque or Asolo.

My wife yells at me for "ALL THE BOOTS YOU HAVE" but quickly clams up when I point to the 12 different pairs of black pumps in her closet....

Ned Ludd
04-08-2004, 17:25
Munster is right. You need to look at the individual needs. Boots are like any tool. You need to match the tool to the job.

If you want a hiking boot (one with added stability when carrying loads), go with Vasque or Asolo.

One thing I would be careful of are the very stiff Vasque, Asolo (and I would add Sportiva) mountaineer boots. I have a pair of these and they are indispensable for serious rock, snow and ice. However, unless you plan to spend a lot of time hunting with a 40 kilo pack and crampons on your feet, you'll wonder who designed such a torture for you feet.

-NL

legalbroker
04-21-2004, 00:47
I was just going to post the same dilema about boots. I have Altma Jungle boots, but find they are rough on my heels. Are the ripple soles good? How about the hybrid type tactical boots like the one's from Oakley, they look comfortable. I do mostly hiking in rivers and some easy mountaing climbing etc...

Thanks

Pack26
04-21-2004, 05:05
Another vote for Danner and Vasque. Give your feet the best of care and they will keep you going.