Pig Hunting Q's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pig Hunting Q's

CAcop
04-06-2004, 01:42
A coworker and I are thinking of going pig/hog hunting in Northern Cali. He has done some of this in his home state but I have not. I had a few questions.

Where are places we can go within a few hours drive of the bay area?

What kind of equipment other than firearms will we need?

And what suitable types of weapons and ammo are used on such hunts? I tried a state website found during a search of Glocktalk that would have helped but I had problems getting to it.

MrMurphy
04-06-2004, 07:20
Friend of mine used to hunt up in Central CA from the Orange county area, he whacked a few dozen pigs.

Equipment: camoflauge, water, the usual outdoors stuff. Extra ammo. Definitely someone who's done it before and doesn't panic (pigs can sometimes charge).

Guns:10mm, .44 Mag, .30-30, any major rifle caliber (.308, .30-06, etc) or 12ga slugs. My friend used a .44 Mag pistol for many pigs till one didn't quite stop till his backup gunner hit it with a .30-30 (very resistant pig!) He now uses .30-30 last I heard (haven't talked to him in about five years).

sharpshooter
04-06-2004, 23:56
There are lots of pigs here in the Northern California Bay Area. Unfortunately, you can't hunt most of them, and the rest of them are on private land.

firminw
04-16-2004, 22:47
Cant help you with places to hunt but a little advise.They dont call em poormans grizzly for nothin'.They can be viscious,dont think I speled that right,but they aren't invincible.I've killed 'em with 44 mag,10mm,7.62x39,6.5x55 and 12 ga.Brenneke slug and probably a few others.They can scare the devil outta you by snapping theit teeth together,sounds like big scissors.Hit 'em good with a good quality bullet and you'll have Bar-B-Que meat.Boars can have a foul taste but soak it in a bowl with 'bout 2 cups of milk overnight and it does the trick.If you run 'em,dare I say,with dogs it's a hoot.They can be hunted the same way as whitetail can be but dawgs is fuuuuuuun.Good Luck and Have FUUUUUUUUUUN.

Steve Moses
04-19-2004, 07:45
Afer you shoot one, esp. in the warmer months, wait a few minutes before you start handling them in order to let the deer ticks start moving off. Make sure you don't let any of those little buggers get on you, as some of them may carry Lyme's Disease.
A scoped deer rifle is the best overall choice in my opinion. Sometimes the only shot you get is 75-100 yards away, or closer but in low light. It is not that shotguns with slugs and large-caliber handguns won't work, but just that you have to pick your shots with a lot more care. Shoot them between the eye and ear (about 1" low), through the neck, or through the shoulder about halfway down. The first target area just puts them down lights out, the second puts them down but they flop and flail for a couple of seconds, and the third will possibly allow them to run off for aways and perhaps destroy some shoulder meat. Hunter skill, distance, and angle will affect where you want to place your shot.

Steve Moses

EOD3
04-19-2004, 12:34
Have a look at the hog hunting section on JHO (http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/index.php?)

Sixgun_Symphony
04-21-2004, 01:21
You might want to try the traditional muzzle loading rifles for the sport. I recommend a .50+ caliber.