Oregon Coast Fishing, etc. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Coast Fishing, etc.

Alsatian
04-06-2004, 20:19
My wife has accepted a job offer in Newport, Oregon and sadly we will be moving from Montana to the central Oregon coast in a few short weeks. I would prefer to remain here, but I would also like to remain married. On a positive note, it looks as if the coastal (inshore and offshore) fishing as well as lake and river fishing is outstanding. Any input would be appreciated (concerning the fishing that is!!) I've also been looking for a shooting range which isn't too far away and have thus far been unsuccessful at finding one. More help would be appreciated!!

A.F. Lineman
04-07-2004, 00:02
Good fishing, both on shore and off. Used to be good salmon fishing on the Siletz. I have not been fishing there is about 18 years though. Plenty of inland rivers to choose from. YOu can go to the high Cascade lakes for a change of pace. All in all, Oregon is good fishing.
Get ready for more wet and fog than you are used to. Also mke sure you watch your car and stuff. Rust is very bad there.

anomad
04-07-2004, 00:09
Give Newport a chance! I would give me left nut to move to the OR coast, or Montana for that matter.....I lived in central OR before I took this job in Alaska

But anyway...

The bass fishing in the lakes along the OR coast is outstanding. Many tournaments out that way. I can't really speak about coastal fishing, but fall will have salmon and steelhead runs. Getting offshore isn't attractive to me, but the many river inlets offer great fishing. There's fly fishing in the mtns if thats your thang. The Coastal Range has great hunting too.

As for shooting, there is plenty of public land within an easy drive. So check around, I am sure there are places.

Dan in Alaska
04-15-2004, 23:54
iFish is an entire website filled with hunting & fishing information about Oregon and Washington. They have an awesome discussion board, with over 20,000 members as well. If you can't find it here, you probably don't need to know it.

Check it out: iFish (http://www.ifish.net/)

A_Swede_17_1911
05-10-2004, 15:17
Theres tons of good fishing in New Port, and also up and down the coast. Theres great Salmon and Steelhead fishing in the many costal rivers as well. Plenty of hunting oprotunitys to if you hunt, theres always a season open to hunt. Theres tons and tons of public land, so finding a place to hunt or to shoot isnt much of a problem. I would love to be back in Oregon, but sadly the Army doesnt have any bases in Oregon.

fungunnin
05-18-2004, 23:30
I just went out with a kick ass giude on the Columbia last week. I have been out with him several times and it is well worth the three hour drive down from Seattle. He goes out for Kings Sturgen, keepers and over sized, and Steelhead. I been out with hime five times and we have always caught fish. If you have never been up to Bonivile Damn to fish for over-sized sturgen you owe it to yourself to go after the largest freshwater fish alive. His company is called Fish Hawk Adventures Fish Hawk Adventures (http://www.fishhwakadventures.com)

turq
05-19-2004, 09:43
I've enjoyed Halibut fishing out of Newport('85) several times. Try to hit it near the opening day. 'We' used the charter service out of The Embarkadero Resort??? in Newport bay. Do the nine hour trip; they had great skippers in the mid '80's that always put us on the fish.
Good luck.