Come Fly With Me [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Come Fly With Me

freepatriot
04-07-2004, 22:23
http://www.freepatriot.com/flying10282003.php

Texas T
04-08-2004, 01:28
I remember the first time you posted this... your knuckles are still white after all this time.
;i

So... have you been back up? Why not? My excuse is time and money; what's yours? ;)

GlockBlocker
04-08-2004, 01:45
HAHA! That's awesome! I went up in a small plane ONCE when I was about 12 years old (~10 years ago) and it was awful for me. Shook around all over the place and my stomach was in knots the whole time. I was literally bent over clutching my stomach the ENTIRE time--that is except for the 20 or 30 seconds that the pilot let me take the yoke. Needless to say, I haven't been back up in a small plane since then. ;g It's too bad though because I actually know quite a bit about airplanes (esp. military planes) and am quite the uninvolved hobbyist. LOL. And to add to that, my best friend (who is about to graduate from the US Air Force Academy and go to Pilot Training) is working on getting his PPL and wants me to go up. <sigh>

BTW, Scott, that didn't look like you in those pics. At all. You like to change your appearance a lot or what? ;)

Texas T
04-08-2004, 09:58
Glockblocker, I assume that was a long time ago. And since you know a lot about planes and lurk here I also assume that you do have the bug but have just chosen to push the monster to the back of the closet. :)

Give it another shot. For $50 you can do an introductory flight at numerous places across the country. Take a look at this web site, call one of them, set up a flight, take your camera, and let's see if we can get you on the road to pilot poverty. ;)

www.beapilot.com

BillCola
04-08-2004, 12:30
I was literally bent over clutching my stomach the ENTIRE time

This perfectly describes my first 5 or so flying lessons. I was friggin' GREEN. Don't let it stop you, you get over it...eventually.

GlockBlocker
04-08-2004, 13:51
Originally posted by BillCola
This perfectly describes my first 5 or so flying lessons. I was friggin' GREEN. Don't let it stop you, you get over it...eventually.
1) What causes this?
2) Why did you keep going back up over and over again?
3) How did you finally get over it?

hapuna
04-08-2004, 15:55
My instructor always insisted that I fly the plane with only the the thumb and 1st 2 fingers of my left hand. Thats it nothing more. It does give one a good feel for whats happening and makes overpowering stuff impossible. That is one of the cleanest 150 rentals I have ever seen in my life!!;f

freepatriot
04-08-2004, 21:59
1. I have no excuse for not going back up; just haven't done so. Jim plays guitar in the band with me, so I see him at least three times a week; we just haven't gone back up again. :(
2. Yeah, I look different all the time. In my avatar I have a normal haircut, in the pics in the plane I have a buzzcut. Currently it's somewhere in between.
3. I didn't realize the 150 was particularly clean, but I had nothing to compare it with.

Yeah, I gotta get back up there.