How cheap is cheap for used aircraft? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How cheap is cheap for used aircraft?

geminicricket
04-10-2004, 07:43
I came across www.controller.com and saw that several single-piston type aircraft were available in airworthy condition for $25K-$50K.

I know nothing of the market for used aircraft, but if the flying bug were to bite me I'd be able to get into this activity at these prices.

New single piston-engine civil aviation aircraft cost about as much as 10 new automobiles. Does the same multiplier hold for parts and labor on repairs?

hapuna
04-10-2004, 11:59
For 25 to 50 K you should be able to get a good used aircraft. All things approved to be used on your plane will cost a lot of money.:(

Mach80
04-10-2004, 15:16
Originally posted by geminicricket
I came across www.controller.com and saw that several single-piston type aircraft were available in airworthy condition for $25K-$50K.

I know nothing of the market for used aircraft, but if the flying bug were to bite me I'd be able to get into this activity at these prices.

This nice thing about aviation is, next time you buy a case of ammunition or a new gun, it'll seem like pocket change!;f

Wulfenite
04-10-2004, 15:35
What I was told is that... Say you've got a 35 year old Skyhawk that you bought for 40 grand, you prang it on the hangar and need a new elevator. The replacemetn elevator will have a cost basis the same as that of a new Skyhawk; say $250K. So I suppose the answer is the repair will cost about 5 times what it should.

The other thing to consider is that an aircraft mechanic cert. requires more education (in terms of hours) than a Bachelors Degree so the labor aint cheep either.

BillCola
04-10-2004, 16:07
gemenicricket, let me do you a favor:

It's all surprisingly inexpensive, just do it, and all will be revealed to you later...trust me!!

Okay, it is a little costly at times. You've got to LOVE it to put up with it. What Wulfie says its true about parts, but let me add: A new carburetor for my 182 costs $7,000.00 from Cessna. But there are half a dozen sources that will sell a rebuilt-to-factory-specs one for $500.00. That new elevator you wrecked could come from salvage yard, or be re-skinned. There's a learning curve, and you have to dance a little. There are great owner forums that will prevent you from having to re-invent the wheel.