LAX goes Dark!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LAX goes Dark!!!!

hapuna
04-12-2004, 17:35
Just saw this on CNN website.
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/default.jsp

Total Blackout at L.A. Airport; Air Traffic Snarled

All radar, radios and telephones, everything that controllers use to communicate with aircraft and other control facilities, was hit by the blackout at 9:40 a.m.

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A brief failure of a power line shut down electrical service to the Los Angeles International Airport tower and disrupted air traffic Monday morning, authorities said.

About 100 flights were affected, either having to hold in the air, circle or stay on the ground at their departure points for a time, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Donn Walker said.

Some departures from Los Angeles were also held but that was relatively quickly resolved, he said.

A 34.5 kilovolt supply line went out for 10 seconds at 9:38 a.m., city Department of Water and Power spokeswoman Carol Tucker said.

"The cause is blamed on equipment failure," she said.

Despite the immediate restoration of the power supply, the effect on the tower lasted longer.

All radar, radios and telephones -- essentially everything that controllers use to communicate with aircraft and other control facilities -- was hit by the outage, Walker said.

Shortly after 11 a.m., Walker reported that most power was back on but enough equipment remained out that instrument approaches would not be possible. Good weather made instrument approaches unnecessary, he said.

Texas T
04-12-2004, 22:25
I was in the bay area (Pleasanton, which is just west of Livermore) when the big quake hit in 89. As we stood around in the parking lot after evacuating the building I noticed a lot of jet traffic stacked up in our area; that was not something that you ever saw. I would imagine that was quite a nightmare for ATC for a few hours.

dhoomonyou
04-12-2004, 23:45
the Bellagio (sp?) hotel went dark also.
Is there a pattern developing?

hapuna
04-13-2004, 12:09
Texas T,
Well it so happens I was in an underground parking lot in downtown SF when Loma Prieta hit. Thank heavens it was a recently built building that was quaked during building. It was still an exciting ride though.

Texas T
04-13-2004, 13:03
I was in my bosses' office on the third floor. We got up and braced ourselves in the doorway when we realized it wasn't just a small one. When we made it down the fire exit stairs the entire stairwell had shifted forward and out about 1-2 inches and actually twisted the metal frame of the exit doorway at the bottom. A couple of good shoves and we were out in the open.

One of the HR managers had won an office drawing earlier in the week and she and her husband were at Candlestick with free tickets. :)

Wulfenite
04-13-2004, 17:27
Can you imagine 90 minutes in a holding pattern?

I wonder if you can request 15 minute legs?

Texas T
04-13-2004, 21:11
Originally posted by Wulfenite
Can you imagine 90 minutes in a holding pattern? I actually don't remember what they did. I don't know if they held most of them or just diverted to other airports. Anyone remember?

Wulfenite
04-13-2004, 21:17
I'd guess all the GA and most of the puddle jumpers diverted. I'd bet all the big boys circled. Can you imagine a 747 full of Japanese tourists getting dumped on the ramp 40 miles from their destination. Chaos.

The thing I read in the paper this AM said that some planes circled for 90 minutes.