Thompson Center Arms Renegade opinions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Center Arms Renegade opinions

RugerFan58
04-13-2004, 19:12
I'm looking to buy a .58 T/C Renegade as soon as I can find a good place to buy one. Fox Ridge Outfitters sells them for $399. Any of you BP hunters out there know of any good places to buy one mailorder? Any of you that have shot a Renegade how did you like it ? If you know of any other brand traditional .58's that you think are good,please tell me about them. I prefer a T/C but will consider other quality brands. Thanks for your time and any help you could send my way.

bassman-dan
04-14-2004, 03:59
I purchased a .54 cal Renegade from Natchez Supply about 21 - 22 years ago and have been very pleased with its performance. I have taken several deer with it and have found it to be reliable when I do my part which would include thorough cleaning and drying out before loading. The TC lifetime warranty is hard to beat and I have known hunters who abused their TC product and still had the warranty applied.
I think that TC products are a much better investment than the cheaper imports and that you get what you pay for. I know of a lot of problems that shooters have had with the cheaper rifles that I've never experienced with Thompson Center products.
I also own a .50 TC Black Diamond that is very accurate. Being an in-line, it is also somewhat more reliable than the "old style" designs such as the Renegade or Hawkins. However, it will never beat out my old Renegade caplock on looks or nostalgia.
You may want to compare prices at Natchez Shooters Supply at www.natchezss.com.

bassman-dan
04-14-2004, 04:15
Oops, my bad.
I just checked Natchez Shooter Supply and it doesn't look like they still carry the Renegade.
I did a quick search, however, and found the TC Renegade $50 cheaper at wwww.trackofthewolf.com
Good luck.

Bonk
04-14-2004, 09:55
A .50cal T/C Renegade was the first gun I ever bought, at the tender age of 17. Great caplock, for a traditional-looking muzzleloader, it really can't be beat. Customer service is excellent - one of the ramrod thimble screws went bouncing off somewhere, and I called them to see how much a replacement was. A replacement screw was in my mailbox, free of charge, in two days.:)

RugerFan58
04-14-2004, 15:28
Originally posted by bassman-dan
Oops, my bad.
I just checked Natchez Shooter Supply and it doesn't look like they still carry the Renegade.
I did a quick search, however, and found the TC Renegade $50 cheaper at wwww.trackofthewolf.com
Good luck. Thank you for the link. I'll check it out.:)