Fire Starters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fire Starters

nmg1348
04-13-2004, 20:36
i am in the process of re-building my personnal and vehicle survial kit. I am looking at different fire starting methods, what are your favorite methods.??

noway
04-13-2004, 22:50
I carry water proof matches in a 35mm film case. Been doing that for the last few 10 years or so. They work if the matches don't get to wet and the materials rubs off . The 35mm container does a good job keeping things dry and it is cheap and small to hide.

Also doesn't hurt to keep a zip or bic type lighter,just for those emergencies that might arise. My flint and spark methods is not to reliable. ;f

dlupini
04-13-2004, 23:13
Magnesium fire starter and Trioxane are good things to have as fire starters.

Bonk
04-14-2004, 09:58
Amen to that. Trioxane tablets come wrapped in foil wrap and packed in bunches of three in cardboard boxes. Take three, toss out the box, then rubberband a magnesium firestarter to it. Trioxane ignites quickly and a tablet burns really hot for about three minutes, enough time to get some kindling going on top of it.

AAshooter
04-14-2004, 10:16
Road Flares

firminw
04-15-2004, 13:39
Frito's,yes I said Frito's.Another good one almost as chaep is dryer lint and wax(parrafin).Collect dryer lint for 'bout a week if you own your own dryer and melt parrafin.Make golf ball size balls of the lint and pour parrafin over them.Before you pour wax over your lint balls put lint balls in an egg container then when you need them tear off that section or sections.Viola you've got far.

tjpet
04-15-2004, 19:03
Around here guides use a combination of diesel fuel mixed with sawdust as a fire starter for fixed camp situations.

allhowl
04-16-2004, 07:27
Strike anywhere matches sealed with wax but I also keep a backup lighter or two. I use cotton balls rubbed in vasoline as tinder. Also duct tape burns good also.;)

lethal tupperwa
04-16-2004, 08:21
steel wool-fine and a fresh 9 volt battery. When you touch the terminals with steel wool you get a lot of heat.

I read the article in which a bush pilot used Fritos not for food but as a fire starter.

They burn hot enough to easily start charcoal.

d0truji
04-16-2004, 08:38
Originally posted by AAshooter
Road Flares

Another vote for road flares here. You can light anything with them.

04-21-2004, 09:38
I am a big fan of the wind/waterproof matches but I just picked up a Blastmatch. Do a google search. This thing rules!
You use a downward push with your thumb to emit a shower of very hot sparks to start a fire. Basically it is a one handed operation verses the two handed operation of the magnesium firestarter where you have to use an edged tool to work it. I like the Magnesium firestarter alot but the blastmatch is just easier to use. I did alot of searching and I found the Blastmatch for $14.99. It ranges from $14 to $20.00.
I would recommend this tool to any outdoorsman.
You have to try it to beleive it.

You can view an animated clip of it in action. just scroll down the page.

www.survivalinc.com/product_view.cfm?product_line_ID=156

here is a picture.

enjoy.

firminw
04-21-2004, 09:49
Gerber Knives sold something like this a few years ago. I always intended to buy one but never got around to it. Maybe I'll do it this time. Thanks for the links.